Struggling with bike decision

MJL1961_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello folks, been hanging around this forum since i 'discovered' the CB1100 back in June. I really enjoy the info sharing and advice. Dilemma: i have new bike fever bad & i've narrowed down my choices to just two (... Today). A left over, 2012 Triumph street triple R (diablo Red), or a 2013 CB1100 in.....ummm... Red.
I KNOWN these are two bikes that are very different in pretty much every aspect, ergos, style, performance, etc. both undoubtedly fine machines!
I've had Bonnies, Thruxton, CBR600RR, Yamaha FZ8. I'm 52 years old, just retired, pretty physically fit and i'm really torn between wanting the 'thrust-to-weight-ratio' of the STIIIR, and the classic (beautiful) lines & quality and comfort of the CB1100. I don't belive that the Honda is lacking in performance. I think there's folks on this board with experience or that currently own both bikes. I can't the $$ to have both, so i must decide between them. My 'typical' riding style is 50/50 mountains, twisties & just running errands or cruising around town for an hour or two.
Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
 
Picking a new bike is not easy - especially if you are not sure what you want.

There's only one way to decide.

Take each bike out for a long test ride - one of them you won't want to give back.

I still haven't stopped grinning. Sorted!
 
i agree with Doc. Both fine bikes you are looking at, vastly different. See if you can get a test ride on each. One will make the decision for you.
 
They are both good bikes. Get the one that fits your body best, if both feel good get the one that is cheaper(check insurance rates) that way you can add "stuff" to make it yours. Since you will be riding locally do you have both dealers close by? I'm 65 retired and physical/runner and the CB is a nice fit. Down side to CB is all the good aftermarket stuff is in Japan, a bit costly but good stuff. I bought my bike out of state and rode back home on some nice twisties/hills, the bike has plenty power to do this in a fun way.
 
MJL1961_imp said:
Hello folks, been hanging around this forum since i 'discovered' the CB1100 back in June. I really enjoy the info sharing and advice. Dilemma: i have new bike fever bad & i've narrowed down my choices to just two (... Today). A left over, 2012 Triumph street triple R (diablo Red), or a 2013 CB1100 in.....ummm... Red.
I KNOWN these are two bikes that are very different in pretty much every aspect, ergos, style, performance, etc. both undoubtedly fine machines!
I've had Bonnies, Thruxton, CBR600RR, Yamaha FZ8. I'm 52 years old, just retired, pretty physically fit and i'm really torn between wanting the 'thrust-to-weight-ratio' of the STIIIR, and the classic (beautiful) lines & quality and comfort of the CB1100. I don't belive that the Honda is lacking in performance. I think there's folks on this board with experience or that currently own both bikes. I can't the $$ to have both, so i must decide between them. My 'typical' riding style is 50/50 mountains, twisties & just running errands or cruising around town for an hour or two.
Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I think you are already make up your mind on the CB1100
 
My thoughts??? Because those two bikes are so different it makes me think you should expand your search to others before you buy either. Had you said considering a Triumph Bonnie and a CB1100 then we'd have something to talk about but the Street Triple isn't remotely similar to the CB. Look at more bikes you might find something better for you then either the CB or the Triple. I don't have any suggestions necessarily but look around at other stuff as well.
 
Maybe the new Yam FZ 09 at $7995 ?
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys, i've considered the FZ9. Or simply pick up a deal on a 13 used FZ8 (adjustable suspension). also, thinking about a used, BMW R1200R. i've had a EFI Bonnie (T100) and a Thrux. I honestly enjoyed every bike I've had. I'm very impresses with the design, engineering and quality finish of the CB! seems better than my 2001 BMW R1200CE that i used to have. Perhaps I'm somewhat ADD, as I seem to bored with my bikes over time. I'm thinking that the CB is more likely to be a bike that i would keep forever...picking up a used FZ1 down the road... I'm leaning CB (ABS)
 
Ironically, I almost purchased a Street Triple before Honda announced that they were bringing the CB1100 to the states. I also own a 1988 Honda Hawk GT and daily commuting duties had started to take their toll on a number of bits and pieces of the bike (most of which have been replaced by now) so I was interested in a new bike (more than likely my only new bike). I had read so many great things about the ST that I couldn't help but be interested. There were some good deals to be had on the '12 STRs and the '13 STs looked really nice to me as well. With the ST representing a modern version of my Hawk GT (with a lot more power on tap), it did seem a bit redundant (as I'll probably never part with my Hawk). I honestly pictured myself more on the Bonneville, but the styling of the current Bonnies leaves me wishing that they had done a better job (at least as good as Kawasaki did with the W650). I struggled with this for some time. Being honest with myself, I realized that I don't even push my Hawk to it's upper handling limits, so I wasn't sure how much I would really get out of a Street Triple. And so I did nothing. Until Honda announced the CB1100 release that is. I put my deposit down that very day and have never looked back. No regrets at all. The CB is the perfect bike for my needs. I've been a Honda fan since I was a kid and I remain ecstatic with the bike now after almost 6 months of ownership. For the way I ride and use a bike, it is just about perfect.

So, I can understand being torn between the two bikes. If you tend to ride more aggressively, then the ST might be the way to go, although I have pushed the CB harder than I would have expected through some of the local twisties and have been impressed with how easy it is to toss around and it feels very planted. If your riding style doesn't favor either bike, then maybe purchase based on the reputations of the respective dealers who would be gaining your business. I knew that the local Triumph dealer was excellent, and fortunately I've been very impressed with the local Honda dealer that I chose to purchase my CB1100 from.

Best of luck with your decision!
 
Thread starter
... Sorry for the spelling/grammatical & omission errors in my last post... Typing with fat thumb on I-phone through Otter box screen protector in bight sunlight without reading glasses is not easy for me
 
MJL1961_imp said:
... Sorry for the spelling/grammatical & omission errors in my last post... Typing with fat thumb on I-phone through Otter box screen protector in bight sunlight without reading glasses is not easy for me

Oh, so you're handicapped..that explains a lot...go with the Triumph
.
.
.
.
.
.
J/ k. :beerchug:
 
I've slowed down a little now that I'm 50, I also didn't want the pressure of having to ride fast on back roads as I did with my past Ninjas.
I kinda lost my nerve...
With the CB1100 I can now go for a relaxing ride and still have fun.
I also think it looks cool without looking like a 12 year olds transformer bike.
 
I don't know about you MJL1961 but between Guth's reply and Stretch's review, I am convinced I should buy another CB. Maybe this time I can get an all Black w/abs. Just saying! One can dream.
 
I'd suggest the BMW will be rather costly to own relative to the others.

I've owned many bikes and never really had a "bad" one but I've found BMW to be expensive with little advantage other then being different. Some times that's enough to justify (it was for me) but I doubt I'd buy another.

Honda is hard to beat for the money and tops in dependability. Love the Triumphs as well.
 
I'm struggling with wanting to ride any of my other bikes now that I've got the CB. No kidding, it's really ticking all the boxes, and it's not just because it's the new shiny object. It really is a fine bike. It won't win the bench racing on- paper competition, but in real life conditions, it's cracking. And it's far more impressive in the metal than it is in pictures. Great presence and top - notch finish.

As for performance, it may not keep up in canyon-carving, but after a 200 mile backroad New Jersey run last weekend, I was comfortable and at pace with a good spread of sport, naked and retro bikes, and likely more comfortable than any of them. It is a thoroughly modern motorbike, cloaked in mild retro attire.

So, that's my spiel.
 
I think you should get the new V-Strom. :)

The type of riding and what spins your prop should decide for you. Kinda explains why I have too many bikes. Lotta good bikes out there. I bet you'll be happy with any of them once you get into the wind.
 
I looked at the V-Strom. It's a lot of bike for the money. Then I saw the CB and never looked back. See the thread on Haiku, it will enlighten your decision process.

What to do with so many
when only one will do
money is no object
if your heart sings
 
Rode a buddy's V Strom 1000 a couple weeks ago. Not for me. No longer for him either...it's for sale.
 
Back
Top