Storing the Bike Away For the Winter *Not a How-To ;)

specialist8

Running like a top
Thread starter
I held out as long as I could guys, but the Chicago winter wins again. I will be storing the bike away for what I hope to be just two months (March, please be pleasant). I don't have heated gear and the thought of wiping out on some black ice even at 5mph is largely daunting on my ego and wallet.

I found a guy on craigslist that is renting an enclosed space for $35/month. Best deal I've found yet. There will be some peace of mind in that my bike has never been stored away (bought it in March) so at least while it's not getting any use it can be safely preserved.

I'm sure some of the other members here can sympathize with the temporary loss. A tough pill to swallow, but everyday that goes by brings us that much closer to riding. Also, the El Nino effect seems to be making this winter pretty mild. March riding may not be as unrealistic as it was last year round these parts.
 
Hmm...I thought this was going to be a how-to winterize discussion....I guess here in the Mid-Atlantic, I've kept mine in the garage, close enough for the occasional warm winter day ride if needed. With a proper amount of Sta-bil in the gas, Optimate battery charger connected...and I've read, only start the engine when you can run it for 40 to 60 minutes to keep condensation from hurting the engine. Oh, and my favorite, if kept under a cover, make sure its a breathable cover, but does not hold moisture like canvas or sheet.
 
I'm keeping mine on the driveway, under a cover, but aimed at the road. First warm moment and I'm out the door :biker:
My sympathies with that Chicago thing. I froze my tush there in May.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Hmm...I thought this was going to be a how-to winterize discussion....I guess here in the Mid-Atlantic, I've kept mine in the garage, close enough for the occasional warm winter day ride if needed. With a proper amount of Sta-bil in the gas, Optimate battery charger connected...and I've read, only start the engine when you can run it for 40 to 60 minutes to keep condensation from hurting the engine. Oh, and my favorite, if kept under a cover, make sure its a breathable cover, but does not hold moisture like canvas or sheet.
LOL, I think it was till MTC hijacked it. My CB is just inside the door too, we are expecting a heat wave during the next few days (mid-50s) so I hope to get out, no electrics. The only thing I do to winterize is add stuff to the gas, plug it into the tender and put a cover over it. This year, winter should be very short. Never heard of the 40 to 60 minute thing, guess it makes sense. I'm concerned with the moisture that sits in the mufflers and comes out the weap holes looking very rusty.
 
specialist8_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
*cou<candy@ss>gh*:)

Not sure what stings more...that comment or the wind on my ride earlier today.

Not sure what stings more...that comment or the wind on my ride earlier today.
If you road this morning, you are definitely not a candy*ss. Pretty dang cold out there.

In all seriousness, I have the luxury of being able to store my bike in my garage so I can keep it in ready-to-go condition year around. If I had to store it offsite, it would have been done last month.

[Also, to everyone else reading this: specialist8 is going to be my riding partner on our trip to the 2016 Rally, so I feel like I can give him a little s*it about stuff, but not too much, cuz he could pound me into dust with one hand.]

Just remember March comes in like a lion and, in Chicago, leaves pretty much like a lion, too. We just have to be lion tamers and get out there!
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Hmm...I thought this was going to be a how-to winterize discussion....I guess here in the Mid-Atlantic, I've kept mine in the garage, close enough for the occasional warm winter day ride if needed. With a proper amount of Sta-bil in the gas, Optimate battery charger connected...and I've read, only start the engine when you can run it for 40 to 60 minutes to keep condensation from hurting the engine. Oh, and my favorite, if kept under a cover, make sure its a breathable cover, but does not hold moisture like canvas or sheet.
Hiker, I've updated the subject hahah

Does that Sta-Bil really work? I will pick some up if so, but I'm usually weary of additives. I will be putting a cover over it, a breathable one.
EGAlvarez_imp said:
Do you have a small space where you could use a Bike Shield? For the money you are going to spend, it will pay for itself after three winters, and you will have it for many years to come.

And it will protect your bike from the sun, vandals, mischievous teens, bird poo and rain all year!

The Bike Shield - Motorcycle Shelter / Garage / Shed / Storage / Outdoor Cover / Cover / Protection / Tent
EG, that is a pretty interesting setup. I have to say that unless I really couldn't find temporary storage for my bike, I'd really be into that cover. However, I don't think I could trust that kind of equipment on the streets of Chicago for very long :( Looks like that cover would be ideal for people who have no garage space left and have to keep it on their driveway. Only way I'd trust that being out in the open.
 
Two months isn't that long -- treat the gas and fill the tank, put the battery on a lifeline, keep the bike dry, and you should be fine. If you're really concerned, change the oil before you put it away, but really, two months is nothing. Be sure to check your tire pressure before your first ride.

Oh yeah, I forgot... Lube the chain. Darn chain-drive bikes.
 
Thread starter
MTC, all in good jest :) Unless there's 6" of snow on the ground, the itch to ride in March will probably trump whatever weather setting is out there. Plus I'd never harm another forum member, be it forum taunting or not haha

LongRanger: thanks for the tips. Forgot about that chain lube!
 
I used to use Stabil, but have better luck (not that I had bad luck with stabil) switching to Seafoam. Good stuff. Haven't had a carb or fi issue on any of my equipment since switching to Seafoam.Although my motorcycles don't sit much, my lawn equipment, leaf blower, weed whacker, snow blower, ATV and chain saws do sit for extended periods of time.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I used to use Stabil, but have better luck (not that I had bad luck with stabil) switching to Seafoam. Good stuff. Haven't had a carb or fi issue on any of my equipment since switching to Seafoam.Although my motorcycles don't sit much, my lawn equipment, leaf blower, weed whacker, snow blower, ATV and chain saws do sit for extended periods of time.
Cmon Mickey, I'll bet you ride anything with wheels all year.:)

I just returned from a 55 mile ride, sunny & 39 degrees. Roads are clear with no salt in lower NY. Heated jacket and gloves with no wind, pleasant ride.
 
CIP57_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I used to use Stabil, but have better luck (not that I had bad luck with stabil) switching to Seafoam. Good stuff. Haven't had a carb or fi issue on any of my equipment since switching to Seafoam.Although my motorcycles don't sit much, my lawn equipment, leaf blower, weed whacker, snow blower, ATV and chain saws do sit for extended periods of time.
Cmon Mickey, I'll bet you ride anything with wheels all year.:)

I just returned from a 55 mile ride, sunny & 39 degrees. Roads are clear with no salt in lower NY. Heated jacket and gloves with no wind, pleasant ride.
Ya beat me... I went 54 today, but will do close to 200 tomorrow. Going to meet my BMW riding buddy 1/2 way between Cincy and Cols for lunch.
 
EGAlvarez_imp said:
Do you have a small space where you could use a Bike Shield? For the money you are going to spend, it will pay for itself after three winters, and you will have it for many years to come.

And it will protect your bike from the sun, vandals, mischievous teens, bird poo and rain all year!

The Bike Shield - Motorcycle Shelter / Garage / Shed / Storage / Outdoor Cover / Cover / Protection / Tent
I just got rid of one of these. After two years, the fabric was shredding. The sun is hard on it. That said, it is a great setup and a replacement top is not too costly.
 
Mine are kept inside the house. As long as I can do a 1 hour ride on each bike every week to 10 days, I don't worry about winterizing. So far the weather has cooperated and the coldest rides has been in the low 30s.
 
Back
Top