specialist8
Running like a top
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hi Rocky- your right, the weather has been amazing lately hasn't it. Snow here and there but mixed in with nice warm days- all compliments of our super El Nino. I hope I haven't jinxed us nowRocky_imp said:I put all of my bikes away in early November. It's starting to get too cold for pleasant riding by then.
That said, this November into December up here were very mild months and many of my friends were still riding.
But what was done, was done, so I let the bikes sit. Once they are prepared and stored inside for five months of winter, it's not worth trying to get one out for an occasional ride and still have to winterize it again anyway.
January, February into March can be brutal winter months up here so mid-April is about the earliest I can ride again.
I'm retired and can ride any day I like when it's warmer - unlike most of my friends who still have their noses to the grindstone.
But all of that is not to say that I don't envy those who can ride all year - or at least get out once in a while.

) and on Christmas day I did 60 km on my road bike. no better feeling when you can get outside and do things this time of year. Hi specialist8 ..that's hard core- I love it!specialist8_imp said:Jrns, I too am a cyclist and the first day we had snow covered streets I biked to work. It couldn't have been more than 3 inches and wiped out pretty bad. Haven't fell off my bike in years and all I could think to myself was, "I'm really glad this was a $300 bike that just crashed and not my $9000 one"
I couldn't fathom having to store the bike for 5 months. I told the guy who's storing my bike I'll be back on Feb 29 (leap year everyone) to either pay for March storage or pick it up. Here's to unseasonally high temps *cheers*

I misunderstood what you meant when you said $9000 bike- I thought the $300 bike was your winter bike and the $9000 was your regular season bike.specialist8_imp said:Hardcore? Let me rephrase, I'm merely a cyclist out of necessity hahah so therefore i ride a Schwinn Racer Single Speed. Had the bike for over four years now and logged a TON of miles on it with nil repairs. Will probably get an upgraded version of this in a year or two but I've gotten every penny's worth of value out of that thing.

That sounds like the proper way to winterize your bike. : )The ferret_imp said:rode 166 miles today. Stunning weather for Ohio in January.
not so easyRboe_imp said:Batteries don't like to freeze, but keeping them very cold - but above freezing is not bad for them. If you remember your high school chemistry, chemical reactions increase with heat (batteries toast here in Phoenix way too easily) and decrease with lack of heat. A trickle charger on her (out of the bike if you can't keep the back above freezing) and not on the concrete floor.
Many folks will change the oil so that the acids and water that may be suspended in the old oil can't work on the internals during the down time. But again; if the bike is very cold, not much can happen.
Try to keep condensation off her. And dust, and cats, and mice. Should be fine come summer.
I store my bikes outdoors under the Cycle Gear all weather bike covers (no garage). The bike covers take a beating from the sun. But they are cheap enough compared to bikes - especially if bought on sale.
I used to ride my Schwin Mountain Bike to college, up hill. Some snows I did real well in, but the soppy wet stuff - meh. Wheel spin like crazy. It was easer to walk then.

not so easyDJS_imp said:not so easyRboe_imp said:Batteries don't like to freeze, but keeping them very cold - but above freezing is not bad for them. If you remember your high school chemistry, chemical reactions increase with heat (batteries toast here in Phoenix way too easily) and decrease with lack of heat. A trickle charger on her (out of the bike if you can't keep the back above freezing) and not on the concrete floor.
Many folks will change the oil so that the acids and water that may be suspended in the old oil can't work on the internals during the down time. But again; if the bike is very cold, not much can happen.
Try to keep condensation off her. And dust, and cats, and mice. Should be fine come summer.
I store my bikes outdoors under the Cycle Gear all weather bike covers (no garage). The bike covers take a beating from the sun. But they are cheap enough compared to bikes - especially if bought on sale.
I used to ride my Schwin Mountain Bike to college, up hill. Some snows I did real well in, but the soppy wet stuff - meh. Wheel spin like crazy. It was easer to walk then.

I'm ready to buy a hippo full body. 17 degrees today.specialist8_imp said:That's awesome DJS. Also liking the hippo hands. Great accessory.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk