stained stainless and chrome

jtopiso_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hi there,

I own a 17'RS, with double walled stainless exhaust 4-2. I thought stainless meant stain-less, but I was naive...

I've seen some on the chromed rim around the headlight, and a lot on the exhaust headers. (see pics)

First I saw it, and I thought "Oh, no, thats rust and corrosion", but I got an scotch-brite and tried to scrub it off on a small "sample area", and it's just surface "dirt".

The problem is that the scotch-brite also scratches the polished stainless (and I guess it will remove the chrome from the headlight rim), so...

What do you guys recommend to scrub this kind of surface-rust without damaging the nice-shining-polished surface below?

(A wet rug with WD40 does nothing)


 
Morning,
You need to get on top of that pretty quick before the corrosion's goes too far (unless it already has). Any CB used in all weathers is going to be really hard work to keep nice. It's just a fact. Chrome will scratch easily if you don't treat it well. Scotch brite is a complete no no. We all have our own favourite products so it's maybe no help listing what I buy in the U.K.

With a stone cold exhaust, I would probably try a decent degreaser/ motorcycle wash product first and then dry it off as best I could, then use a decent chrome cleaner with plenty of clean soft cloths (turning frequently) working each pipe at a time to do the best I could. I believe you can use aluminium tin foil if you really need to because it's such a soft metal, as well as that I use old socks to clean around header pipes, grab an end in each hand and work back and forth.

When finished and completely dry then use a barrier product to protect the chrome/paintwork.

Looks like a good mornings work for you. Hope it goes ok.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
Hi there,

I own a 17'RS, with double walled stainless exhaust 4-2. I thought stainless meant stain-less, but I was naive...

I've seen some on the chromed rim around the headlight, and a lot on the exhaust headers. (see pics)

First I saw it, and I thought "Oh, no, thats rust and corrosion", but I got an scotch-brite and tried to scrub it off on a small "sample area", and it's just surface "dirt".

The problem is that the scotch-brite also scratches the polished stainless (and I guess it will remove the chrome from the headlight rim), so...

What do you guys recommend to scrub this kind of surface-rust without damaging the nice-shining-polished surface below?

(A wet rug with WD40 does nothing)
Consider reviewing:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=928&pid=229859#pid229859
 
All above advices are good.

Very tough maintenance as beautiful Spain is located between the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean, both of high salinity, 38-40 ppt and 33-37 ppt respectively.
Exhaust is getting hot and cold and salt just loves this type of catalysis.
You need more frequent chrome maintenance with adequate product to your climate, in general.
For your exhaust, I would recommend ceramic coating treatment.
Here is the link explaining what it is:

http://hightechcoatings.com/

Do your local research first. Good luck.
I think, you live close to the water line...?
 
peterbaron_imp said:
All above advices are good.

Very tough maintenance as beautiful Spain is located between the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean, both of high salinity, 38-40 ppt and 33-37 ppt respectively.
Exhaust is getting hot and cold and salt just loves this type of catalysis.
You need more frequent chrome maintenance with adequate product to your climate, in general.
For your exhaust, I would recommend ceramic coating treatment.
Here is the link explaining what it is:

http://hightechcoatings.com/

Do your local research first. Good luck.
I think, you live close to the water line...?
(+1) on ceramic coating. I am adverse to chrome polishing, even if it is made easy.

Note, however, you will lose the chrome look for the most part.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for the advise.

Yes, I live by the sea, which has some pros (several) and some cons (rust, even on stainless)
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Morning,
You need to get on top of that pretty quick before the corrosion's goes too far (unless it already has). Any CB used in all weathers is going to be really hard work to keep nice. It's just a fact. Chrome will scratch easily if you don't treat it well. Scotch brite is a complete no no. We all have our own favourite products so it's maybe no help listing what I buy in the U.K.

With a stone cold exhaust, I would probably try a decent degreaser/ motorcycle wash product first and then dry it off as best I could, then use a decent chrome cleaner with plenty of clean soft cloths (turning frequently) working each pipe at a time to do the best I could. I believe you can use aluminium tin foil if you really need to because it's such a soft metal, as well as that I use old socks to clean around header pipes, grab an end in each hand and work back and forth.

When finished and completely dry then use a barrier product to protect the chrome/paintwork.

Looks like a good mornings work for you. Hope it goes ok.
Just curious which UK products you use to keep your chrome sparkling?
 
spechg_imp said:
Jfro5687_imp said:
Morning,
You need to get on top of that pretty quick before the corrosion's goes too far (unless it already has). Any CB used in all weathers is going to be really hard work to keep nice. It's just a fact. Chrome will scratch easily if you don't treat it well. Scotch brite is a complete no no. We all have our own favourite products so it's maybe no help listing what I buy in the U.K.

With a stone cold exhaust, I would probably try a decent degreaser/ motorcycle wash product first and then dry it off as best I could, then use a decent chrome cleaner with plenty of clean soft cloths (turning frequently) working each pipe at a time to do the best I could. I believe you can use aluminium tin foil if you really need to because it's such a soft metal, as well as that I use old socks to clean around header pipes, grab an end in each hand and work back and forth.

When finished and completely dry then use a barrier product to protect the chrome/paintwork.

Looks like a good mornings work for you. Hope it goes ok.
Just curious which UK products you use to keep your chrome sparkling?
I have read some had spectacular results with something called "ReplaysMent".




:D
 
Hi spechg,
Had a variety over the years but currently I like Autoglym, Autosol (have to be a bit careful with that it's more of a paste) and actually glass cleaner. Exhaust has to be stone cold though. TBH I try and keep on top of the pipes because the more I clean the more I risk scratching it. If you get tar spots I use some meths on a soft rag, that's really good. Burnt on bits I can't scrape off with a fingernail I first try old store cards. I keep a slack handful in the garage. They are hard plastic and really good at safely removing bugs and all sorts. Try it, you'll be surprised.
 
Thread starter
Although I'd like a black ceramic coating, I can't find anyone who would do it in Spain. I've found a workshop in Madrid but they say I would have to take the headers appart and send them to them, so they would send them to the UK -it seems like not many companies offer this service-. I'd rather send them myself, and anyway it's to cumbersome... and I'd be at leat 3 weeks without the bike.

When/if the exhaust fails, I'll try to replace it with a black ceramic coated one.

Meanwhile, I've spent less than 15 minutes (with very poor lighting, so no detailing ;)) taking off most of the rust. What's worked best has been tin-foil. Then I've applied cleaning vinegar with a rug (to degrease), and then some domestic metal cleaner.

Not bad for the time I've spent on it. As long as it won't develop a mechanical problem, I am not that crazy about having the bike "exposition clean".

 
To keep mine shiny I use the Autosol. I get it off Amazon but I think it comes from the UK. I use the Autosol that comes in a bottle and is a liquid. Has acid so wear gloves and eye protection.
 
What do you guys recommend to scrub this kind of surface-rust without damaging the nice-shining-polished surface below?

I use a very fine grade steel wool and it does not scratch the chrome. You can purchase steel wool in various grades - experiment until you find what works best for you. Keep an eye on your fork tubes and rear shock shafts for similar rust.
 
Canadian Tire sells 10% vinegar, very sure the US has its equivalent.

General PDP Template

My friend uses this vinegar type during bike's rusty exhaust restoration.
Your choice. Test is before using.
 
Similar problem here in Auckland, lot of salt water around here but not as severe as in your case.
The salt accumulates on all surfaces and attracts moisture over time.
Best is to dilute the salt spray with fresh water once the engine has cooled off after a ride, ideally dry with a leaf blower afterwards.
Apply acf 50 in the right places would slow it down except for the exhaust system, don't wait too long, the modern chrome is not as good as the old 70's chrome.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
All above advices are good.

Very tough maintenance as beautiful Spain is located between the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean, both of high salinity, 38-40 ppt and 33-37 ppt respectively.
Exhaust is getting hot and cold and salt just loves this type of catalysis.
You need more frequent chrome maintenance with adequate product to your climate, in general.
For your exhaust, I would recommend ceramic coating treatment.
Here is the link explaining what it is:

http://hightechcoatings.com/

Do your local research first. Good luck.
I think, you live close to the water line...?
When I saw your link, I opened it and went to the product page. Here is the first sentence I read:

High Tech Coatings Ceramic Header Coating is a Patented Metal filled ceramically bonded inorganic coating that is non-electrostaticly applied and cured at high temperature.

I am not saying it cannot or does not work, but this sentence does not really inspire a lot of confidence - neither in the product, nor in AI for translation.:exclamation:
Ayrshire Dunx_imp said:
Before anything else try rubbing it with wet aluminium foil.
Are you serious ? (not meant sarcastically)
How can metal on metal not produce scratches, even if one is soft and one is hard ?
 
Ceramic coatings are not new and work very well. Awesomely well. A few users have had headers done with no complaints after a few years. In the US members usually use a company called Jet-Hot Ceramic Header & Exhaust Coating | Jet-Hot
 
Back
Top