You're a braver man than me, Gunga Din. I'll be watching this thread with interest.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I was curious and looked up this optiglanz stuff. Not cheap but if works by just spray on and wipe off with no elbow grease, it would be worth it to me.furious_blue_imp said:A followup:
I chased down a bottle of optiglanz and used it (once) on my '13 headers.
Spray on, wipe off and rinse with water.
Without any elbow grease I was greeted with shiny un-brown pipes.
Yeah, that stuff is expensive @24-28 a bottle, but it saves so much time and physical effort that it's worth it.
My old '13 after optiglanz treatment on the right in photo:
CB1100 Forum
I was curious and looked up this optiglanz stuff. Not cheap but if works by just spray on and wipe off with no elbow grease, it would be worth it to me.furious_blue_imp said:I was curious and looked up this optiglanz stuff. Not cheap but if works by just spray on and wipe off with no elbow grease, it would be worth it to me.The Spaceman_imp said:The first time I saw a CB in the wild was in the Honda tent at Daytona Bike Week last year. The bike's headers were covered with brown stains. I figured it must have been ridden down a dirt road just before they loaded it on the truck for the show, and nobody bothered to clean it up.
Of course it turns out the header pipes get brown, crappy-looking stains every time I ride in the wet. I assume everyone else's does too. If this were a knock-around bike like my VStrom was, I'd either ignore it or spray VHS flat black on the pipes and forget it. But it's not, the CB's look and appearance are a big part of why I bought it. Rusty-looking headers are not going to cut it.
The only thing that really seems to clean them up is Simichrome and a LOT of elbow grease. BMW markets a spray that's supposed to work, but it's even more expensive than Simichrome.
What do y'all think/do about this?
If it means not getting my clothes pissed on and not being a women-beating alcoholic pill addict, I'm ok with the Metro.Tortuga_imp said:I look at the 'real' Hells Angels.. I see men of legend, urinating on each other's leathers as part of the initiation ceremony.
I remember Evil Knievel as a kid, trying to jump things to break records ( but mostlŷ breaking bones).
I see modern man, moaning that his pipes are too brown.
Dudes, are getting just a tad metro-sexual about bikes? :dodgy:
Good to hear !Southpaw50_imp said:I was curious and looked up this optiglanz stuff. Not cheap but if works by just spray on and wipe off with no elbow grease, it would be worth it to me.furious_blue_imp said:A followup:
I chased down a bottle of optiglanz and used it (once) on my '13 headers.
Spray on, wipe off and rinse with water.
Without any elbow grease I was greeted with shiny un-brown pipes.
Yeah, that stuff is expensive @24-28 a bottle, but it saves so much time and physical effort that it's worth it.
My old '13 after optiglanz treatment on the right in photo:
CB1100 Forum
I was curious and looked up this optiglanz stuff. Not cheap but if works by just spray on and wipe off with no elbow grease, it would be worth it to me.furious_blue_imp said:I was curious and looked up this optiglanz stuff. Not cheap but if works by just spray on and wipe off with no elbow grease, it would be worth it to me.The Spaceman_imp said:The first time I saw a CB in the wild was in the Honda tent at Daytona Bike Week last year. The bike's headers were covered with brown stains. I figured it must have been ridden down a dirt road just before they loaded it on the truck for the show, and nobody bothered to clean it up.
Of course it turns out the header pipes get brown, crappy-looking stains every time I ride in the wet. I assume everyone else's does too. If this were a knock-around bike like my VStrom was, I'd either ignore it or spray VHS flat black on the pipes and forget it. But it's not, the CB's look and appearance are a big part of why I bought it. Rusty-looking headers are not going to cut it.
The only thing that really seems to clean them up is Simichrome and a LOT of elbow grease. BMW markets a spray that's supposed to work, but it's even more expensive than Simichrome.
What do y'all think/do about this?
I followed your lead and found Optiglanz on Amazon.com. $28 for a 12 oz. bottle. It's not only easy to use as you said, IT WORKS! My headers look as if they are chrome. It reminds me of Tarn-x Silver Cleaner. You spray it on the pipes and the gold/brown tarnish disolves and runs down the pipes. Leave it on for one minute and rinse with water. After the application, I went on a 100 mile ride. They still look perfect.
Thanks for the lead. . . no need to purchase chrome headers now.

There were a few of what must have been 'deep spots' that did not entirely go away with my one treatment of OptiGlanz. I was too lazy to either: do a second or third pass and see if that would take them away or do the Simichrome and sweat routine...EmptySea_imp said:So, I don't mind the burnt header look, myself, but I don't like the dark spots which seem to be caused by rain. I figure that if I use this Optiglanz once to clean it and avoid the wet for a few hundred miles, I'll redevelop the patina in a more uniform fashion. Does that make sense?
Oh and tortuga...for the record, "patina" is a very commonly used word among the 1%
I ordered it right now and it is said that it will reach me tomorrow.

MFGUSA' pid='48946' dateline='1403707480 said:"Barkeepers Friend" from my wife's cupboard (under $5.00), 10 to 15 minutes of simple rubbing with a shop rag, with these results.
/quote]
Looks good! Hopefully the results last...
However, the active ingredient in Bar Keepers Friend is Oxalic Acid. When used on Stainless Steel it is recommended that the acid be neutralized with a weak Ammonia solution and thoroughly rinsed.
...not sure exactly if any damage to the stainless will happen if this is not done.
The good news is that Bar Keepers Friend is available in Canada at Canadian Tire and Home Hardware Stores!
I'll be picking some up on the way home tonight.
Additional research has shown that many other bikers have used this product successfully on their headers. And, if reports can be believed, after using it periodically, the intervals for the pipes staying oxidation-free seem to get longer! The product seems to seal the surface to keep it looking good longer.
So its all your fault Ridem for not telling Elipten about the Vinegar!Elipten_imp said:Have it in my house. You could have saved me some money if you told me sooner.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
leepy:
So its all your fault Ridem for not telling Elipten about the Vinegar!MFGUSA_imp said:So its all your fault Ridem for not telling Elipten about the Vinegar!Elipten_imp said:Have it in my house. You could have saved me some money if you told me sooner.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkleepy:
leepy: You need a base solution to neutralize an acid, such as a weak ammonia solution (a "base") as I posted earlier. Simple ammonia cleaner or even Windex might work.Deanohh_imp said:So its all your fault Ridem for not telling Elipten about the Vinegar!MFGUSA_imp said:So its all your fault Ridem for not telling Elipten about the Vinegar!Elipten_imp said:Have it in my house. You could have saved me some money if you told me sooner.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkleepy:
leepy:
I have used barkeepers friend for years on ss sinks. I have read the whole label and it says nothing about neutralizing with vinegar.
I don't see how one acid can be used to "neutralize" another acid. The main component of vinegar is acetic acid.