Stablemate for My CB1100

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
My CB1100 just got a little sister, a 2014 Honda NC700X.

I visited my local dealer last Friday to check out the new CBR300F as a possible second bike, but I left an hour later owing a NC700.

The CBR300F is too small for me. The CB500X was a better fit and I briefly considered buying a leftover 2014. But the salesman mentioned a pair of 2014 NC700s, a red one and a black one that were on sale for $4999 ($2800 off list price.)

Someone beat me to the red one by 30 minutes, so I got the black one for $6300 OTD, including free delivery. Both bikes were still in crates the warehouse so I didn’t get mine until today.

The little sister is actually significantly larger than our CB1100s – longer, wider and higher. Takashi is sending me a chrome chain cover, Honda centerstand and the tall Honda windscreen. (Mr. T is seeing $ signs). I also ordered a set of Vario adjustable pegs. Future farkles will probably include an SP Tadao two tail slip-on, some intake mods, Power Commander, better levers, and maybe a tail eliminator kit.

It’s still pretty icy at my house – I actually had to drop a bunch of sand down just to ride the bike up to the deck – so it may be a while until I get a ride in. :@

effebd484137fba3ba639ed93fe903b3.jpg


87c9088db5e89f0784bd289721dc1208.jpg
 
Nice bike..congrats. man what a lot of motorcycle for so little money.

I borrowed my nephews NC700 when I went to Nevada and rode Ebbeits and Monitor passes in the Sierra Nevada mountains 2 up with my wife. Bike did just fine.
 
You a have a lot work there putting all the red bits on that bike. :angel:

:D

Oh, custom seat too! Maybe a larger "touring" windscreen...... Fun!
 
Nice score! I rented one in LA last year, rode the Angeles Crest for 2 days and I was duly impressed. Nice, tractable motor, almost like a diesel, and verrrry comfortable. Best of luck with it.
 
Here's what I said in my ride report about the NC 700

"The NC 700X performed admirably, or should I say Honda like, never missing a beat. Handled great, very comfortable. A little down on power to the liter + bikes I am used to riding, but we didn't really want for more power. front brake was pretty good, rear brake pretty wooden. Ergos are great on this bike. Seat about equal to the CB 1100s. Being an ADV styled bike I was pretty much tip toed whenever we had to stop. Stopped and filled up on the way home 133 miles took 1.5 gals. frugal little dude.

He's got a taller Givi shield on it and a Yoshi exhaust. other than that bone stock. "

I think he averages about 65 MPG on his. Neat bike.For the money really tough to beat.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Nice pair. And I rarely say that to a guy.
Rarely? :blush:
Rarely? :blush: Both you guys are cracking me up! :D :beerchug:
CB4ME_imp said:
My CB1100 just got a little sister, a 2014 Honda NC700X.

I visited my local dealer last Friday to check out the new CBR300F as a possible second bike, but I left an hour later owing a NC700.

The CBR300F is too small for me. The CB500X was a better fit and I briefly considered buying a leftover 2014. But the salesman mentioned a pair of 2014 NC700s, a red one and a black one that were on sale for $4999 ($2800 off list price.)

Someone beat me to the red one by 30 minutes, so I got the black one for $6300 OTD, including free delivery. Both bikes were still in crates the warehouse so I didn’t get mine until today.

The little sister is actually significantly larger than our CB1100s – longer, wider and higher. Takashi is sending me a chrome chain cover, Honda centerstand and the tall Honda windscreen. (Mr. T is seeing $ signs). I also ordered a set of Vario adjustable pegs. Future farkles will probably include an SP Tadao two tail slip-on, some intake mods, Power Commander, better levers, and maybe a tail eliminator kit.

It’s still pretty icy at my house – I actually had to drop a bunch of sand down just to ride the bike up to the deck – so it may be a while until I get a ride in. :@

effebd484137fba3ba639ed93fe903b3.jpg


87c9088db5e89f0784bd289721dc1208.jpg
Nice score, John. I've never paid much attention to the 700, but now you have me thinking.....................Hmmmm.
Your CB as usual, looks fantastic from any angle. Mods well-done. :beerchug:
 
That really puts the CB'S size in perspective. The NC doesn't look like a large bike when you walk up on it, but it towers over the CB in that picture. My new V Strom 650 is even more pronounced.

The NC is a neat bike. I'd like to ride a manual gearbox version sometime. The DCT was interesting. Low end torque is impressive.
 
Thread starter
Scoobynut_imp said:
You're gonna love the Frunk!
I love that term! I can certainly see the engine earning that name.

I was recently "retired" by my company just short of 30 years tenure, so I won't have deep pockets to do extensive modifications on the NC. It's staying black. But it won't stay stock.

From reading posts on the NC forum, folks there are mainly focused on gas mileage and luggage, not so much on farkles or performance mods. When I posted about the stainless steel chain cover I ordered for it, the big question was "why????".

Different folks, different strokes.

Thank goodness for this forum.
 
Just so we're on the same page, the Frunk refers to the front trunk where the gas tank usually is. A really cool and useful feature I think.
 
I've noticed that soon after turning 40, I started to develop a frunk of my own. I fear that soon some rapper will spot me and write a song about the junk in my frunk.
 
The only person I have heard using the word "frunk" is my neighbor. He has one of those new BMW i3 electric cars. Under the "hood" is a small storage compartment. Interestingly, these cars can be equipped with a range extender which is a BMW motorcycle engine (believe it's their parallel twin).
 
Thread starter
Dang - I'm learning more about my new bike here than on the NC700 forum.

I like the frunk but XL sized helmet must be the limit since my 2XL doesn't quite fit.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
You're gonna love the Frunk!
I love that term! I can certainly see the engine earning that name.

I was recently "retired" by my company just short of 30 years tenure, so I won't have deep pockets to do extensive modifications on the NC. It's staying black. But it won't stay stock.

From reading posts on the NC forum, folks there are mainly focused on gas mileage and luggage, not so much on farkles or performance mods. When I posted about the stainless steel chain cover I ordered for it, the big question was "why????".

Different folks, different strokes.

Thank goodness for this forum.
Nice bike. If I didn't already have a CBR250 when the NC700 first came out I'd have gotten one.
It seems like a bike that delights the mind the most.. just knowing how efficient it is with fuel and how it is deliberately easy to maintain.. I like it.
 
Thread starter
I've managed 1 ride so far due to weather but have added some goodies:

Honda Tall windscreen (which will probably get cut down a few inches)
U-Kanaya Black Levers
Grip Puppies
Plot skid plate
Vario Adjustable pegs
Honda centerstand
Plot chain cover.

I ordered and received a SP Tadao power box two tail exhaust but had to send it back due to a dent. Mr T. picked up return shipping. Hopefully getting a new one next week.

Also on order is a Plot radiator guard, Givi side stand shoe, Fenda Extenda, and Rossocromo rear hugger. I ditched the side reflectors and license plate bracket for a cleaner look.

 
Nice, very nice. Honda has a winner with that series of motorcycles. Bet Mr T loves you.

My nephew installed some kind of integrated led tail light/turn signals on his and eliminated that whole section in the rear.
 
CB4ME is on his way to 2015 Samurider Customer of the Year.

The NC certainly doesn't have the same panache as the CB, but the same tasteful, well-chosen farkles are making this bike show a bit of the same personality.

If I had realized the difference a few extras would make, I might have given it a second look. If Honda offered it with ABS without making you get the DCT, I would have considered it more seriously.
 
Back
Top