ST1300

quietguy_imp said:
The top box and tank colors seem to match... or maybe my eyes are worse than I think.
I agree-they appear to match...so the panniers should as well -as they look factory? ...maybe its just the lighting?
beautiful bike tho...I like the ST... good luck with it.
 
Nice bike Alan. The top box is not factory and is a different color to my eyes. Wonder how it sounds with the after market exhaust?
 
The top Box is a Bestem Box, very inexpensive but quite serviceable (I have the same box) a popular mod for the budget conscious on the ST forum

The pipes are probably 2 brothers which is a fairly popular mod on the ST forum
*Edit nope not 2 bros..might be Yosh like you said

It also has Highway blades that fold out of the tip over covers ..yep another popular mod

extra wires coming out of the rt grip would indicate heated grips

some kind of switch mounted below left fairing pocket (maybe controller for heated grips?)

Seat you already know about

That's low mileage
 
Sounds like a pretty good price for the mileage. You may be able to negotiate it down even further, it is January after all. I say buy it!
 
The top case is a Bestem T Box. You can see that in the ad pics. It is not stock. The side cases are stock on an ST. That one also has the fairing wind deflector accessory installed. I believe the highway pegs are called Fireblades.

I don't see a riser installed, but if you want to sit up some and less forward lean, a Helibar riser with a Powerlet outlet and Ram ball mount is nice.

Having the heated grips installed is nice. I put them on mine last Winter and it was a J. O. B. All that plastic is a pain to remove. Not hard, but a pain. I also added a GiPro gear indicator as the bike doesn't have one.

Good luck with your purchase. These bikes are awesome on the road, and that seat looks nicer that my stock with an Airhawk cushion.
 
Chapomis I put out some feelers on the ST board to see if anyone recognizes the bike and can tell me anything about it.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Chapomis I put out some feelers on the ST board to see if anyone recognizes the bike and can tell me anything about it.
Thank you, I didn't think of that, but I did join last week. I did find out that it's had 2 owners. The second owner only had it for a couple of months and traded it for a cruiser. No info on the first owner who probably did the mods.
 
My ST is 2005 with ABS.

Just got back from riding it about 20 minutes ago. 55 degrees here today.

If the dealer took that in trade, this is how much they gave the customer for farkles: zero, zip, nada, the null set, void

I have at least $3,500 in additional farkles on my bike (32.000 miles) and that is the most I would expect to get in July, not January. A motorcycle sale in January for them is all gravy. And...trust me, there is no one else you are trying to out-bid! When I still worked at the dealership last summer, they offered me $4,800 trade-in. I was "working there", and that's all!

Farkles are like landscaping when selling a house. It might help a buyer make up his mind, but it doesn't increase the value.

Look at Kelly Blue book for "average retail". That's what the dealer is hoping to get.

It's just "metal" to them. They never fall in love with the metal like we do! They are motivated sellers. Don't be a motivated buyer.

Good luck!!
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The top case is a Bestem T Box. You can see that in the ad pics. It is not stock. The side cases are stock on an ST. That one also has the fairing wind deflector accessory installed. I believe the highway pegs are called Fireblades.

I don't see a riser installed, but if you want to sit up some and less forward lean, a Helibar riser with a Powerlet outlet and Ram ball mount is nice.

Having the heated grips installed is nice. I put them on mine last Winter and it was a J. O. B. All that plastic is a pain to remove. Not hard, but a pain. I also added a GiPro gear indicator as the bike doesn't have one.

Good luck with your purchase. These bikes are awesome on the road, and that seat looks nicer that my stock with an Airhawk cushion.
Are the fairing wind deflectors the semi-vertical black bits just behind the valve covers ? I already looked into the heli bar risers, pretty cool that it includes the outlet and ball.
 
If you like the bike buy it. Solid trouble free smooth running bike good for more miles than the seat. Still the favorite bike I ever had. Even my two motorcycle mechanic buddies own them.
Buy it, ride it, keep it. I rank it with the BMW K75s - ugly, solid, forever.
 
Chapomis, Yeah, it's all that black stuff down both sides. Starts by the bottom of the mirrors and goes all the way down around to the bottom by your knees. The stock bike is the plastic, wine colored in your case with no rubber on it.

I put it on my bike last Winter. It's actually kind of expensive, but I don't remember how much, but I'm thinking around $200? They also make a deflector kit for the mirrors covers, but I didn't add that, as it makes it hard to remove the mirror covers (and I was told it doesn't do much). Didn't know they just pop right off did ya? :). That's so if you hit something, only the cover get damaged, or just pops off. And has a lanyard so it doesn't go flying.

That Powerlet port on the Helibar riser makes it easy to keep the battery charged too.
 
Chapomis, I'm not an ST tragic, but I did a bit over 1,000 miles on one at the rally last year and liked it a lot. If I could swing two bikes I'd definitely think about an ST for its touring utility in Australia.

It had three down sides for me, but they were minor: the weight of the thing; the mirrors, although I sort of got used to them; and the windscreen. I liked the electric adjustment, but I just wasn't tall enough and found the wind battering my helmet irritating. In the rain, with the screen right up, it was great.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the advise everyone, very valuable to me. I'm amazed at how many of the regular forum members own these or have ridden them, that's encouraging. I understand that when selling or trading you never get your Farkel money back unless you strip them off and resell @ 50% of new. Actually this bike is priced about the same as most in the area, yet it is the only one I could find with ABS and it has @2.5k of farkels (new). The other one I looked at was non-ABS, had a radio and radar unit for farkels (which I would have stripped out) same miles and they dropped the price 1k on the spot ......to the same price as this ABS bike is starting at. I would love to get it for 6k, maybe used bike confidence has gone the same way as Wall Street.

Lol, Another non-ABS that I looked into: same price (7k) and the only Farkel was a tank bag.......that covered the dent in the tank.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Silverbub. Yes, I did see that one. The big difference is the ABS...and the distance, although I did drag my Harley up from FLA years back and it was a good experience. I found one on the western border of MA in NY that can be had for 4k, but no ABS and 58k miles. Six of one half dozen of the other I guess. Hopefully I can get tomorrows down to 6k-ish. If not there are 4 other "Wines" in the same area, 2 are 08s'
 
Chapomis, I don't know about the aftermarket seats, but the stock seat is also height adjustable. Keep that in mind if you don't like it during the test ride. No telling what it's set at now, but it is EASY to adjust. Trying to help :)
 
Thread starter
Thanks Popgun, didn't know that. The one that I sat on the other day seemed fine. I find that I am good with heights up to about 32". How do they adjust ?
 
Back
Top