ST1300 has a coolant leak :-(

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
My ultra reliable 2009 ST1300 has developed a coolant leak at the thermostat junction. Most likely a loose hose clamp. Looking forward to an all day job of pulling off the plastic and the radiator to gain access. Fun stuff... Not really. :-/
 
Before, during, after? Or all three? :beerchug:
 
pretty common problem. Especially back east here where the cold causes the hose to shrink some then the clamp gets loose. Some just put all new super clamps on. Others just tighten the Honda ones. There is one under the air cleaner/carbs I am told.

worst part of the job is pulling and reinstalling the Tupperware just so you can turn a worm screw 1/2 a turn.
 
You've answered my question, Ferret!
 
The ferret_imp said:
pretty common problem. Especially back east here where the cold causes the hose to shrink some then the clamp gets loose. Some just put all new super clamps on. Others just tighten the Honda ones. There is one under the air cleaner/carbs I am told.

worst part of the job is pulling and reinstalling the Tupperware just so you can turn a worm screw 1/2 a turn.
I agree, thermal changes are weird this way. '77 GoldWing drips a drop or two during the winter, and the multiple clamps on the Rune can be challenging. I've used swivel head extensions with universal joints to reach some of them. Six point sockets can save your day. Good luck!
 
My buddy with a '91 ST1100 took it upon himself to install the upgraded alternator from a new-generation ST1100. I hope your hose clamp is less of an ordeal! He swore he'd never attempt something like that again.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
pretty common problem. Especially back east here where the cold causes the hose to shrink some then the clamp gets loose. Some just put all new super clamps on. Others just tighten the Honda ones. There is one under the air cleaner/carbs I am told.

worst part of the job is pulling and reinstalling the Tupperware just so you can turn a worm screw 1/2 a turn.
Tell me about it... :s
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
This site made it pretty easy to remove it all, even though the manual does cover it. http://www.touringmotorcyclists.com/tech_tips/st_tech_tips/front_fairing_removal.html

I bagged and tagged the fasteners for each panel. Made it a LOT easier to put back on. Sorry if you already know all this stuff.
These Tupperware Worksheets help tremendously with keeping track of the plethora of fasteners that the Honda design engineers decided to use on the ST1300 :huh:
Article [13] - ST1300 - TupperWare Worksheet | ST1300 Articles
 
Thanks Tink! Those are great!
 
Tink, you pushed me to finally sign up over there. A lot of good stuff that you can't see unless you are a member so I did it.
 
I just looked at those worksheets. It's very patient of someone to prepare them and make them available. Be a right PIA keeping track of all that hardware.
 
Believe me it was. And they use different push rivets in the same panel. It's a pain. Not hard, just a PAIN.

The CB is great! Easy to get to almost everything.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Believe me it was. And they use different push rivets in the same panel. It's a pain. Not hard, just a PAIN.

The CB is great! Easy to get to almost everything.
It's "EUFD" syndrome (Excessive Use of Fastener Design). I'm miffed at the Honda ST1300 design engineers that decided 5 or 6 fastener designs would be better that 1 or 2. Really, what were you thinking. :dodgy:
 
Odd, isn't it? It's like that silly push rivet in the tool box on the CB1100. What would have been wrong with a screw?

It would be interesting to know what their reasoning was.
 
Thread starter
Finally got time to tighten the hose clamps at the thermostat junction.
Took all day to take the Tupperware (and radiator) off, clean all the nooks and crannies and then put the Tupperware back on.
Can't complain though; this is the first real issue I've had with this bike in 6 years and 33k miles.
No out of pocket cost to repair, just my labor time.
 
Back
Top