ST1300 as 2nd bike ?

What happened, bflint?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
What happened, bflint?
Wow .. my workload at my job has been crazy (also backfilling for workmate who is finishing cancer treatments) plus have 1st granddaughter and her grandmother occupying much of my time. Anyway, bought the pretty red 2009 ST1300 and rode it back to San Diego from Portland OR (cold and foggy two day ride). Took it to local mech who maintains local police pool of ST1300s. Said it was in excellent shape but had a few minor things to fix (leaky fork seal that ruined front brake pads .. redid front seals and brakes ... also decided to change all fluids). Got it back from mech about a week ago. Now I need to figure out it all works ... have no manuals. ALSO, it is such a diff ride/sound than my CB1100. It doesn't sound like a motorcycle (more gutterly when starting out) plus it gets to highspeeds (80-90mph) without me sensing it. Anyway, I think it will be nice to have the hard-luggage and storage compartments for traveling. All-in-all .... I just love my CB1100 which will be my forever ride :)
The ferret_imp said:
I had a 2006 ST 1300 I bought new in 2008and proceded to put 109,900 miles on it until the SMC locked up the rear brake on me putting my wife and I into a big howling slide lol. I rode it to Maine, and California, thru Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, down to Georgia and North Carolina, up through Minnesota, Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan, It was a great bike. As these bikes age though there have been many reports of the SMC failing. The only other issues I know of are sticking thermostats and electric windshield gears and cables wearing out.

If I bought a used one, the first thing I would do is a brake bleed and a new SMC.

50k miles is nothing on these liquid cooled V4s, as long as they had some basic maintenace. They unfotunately do not have a lot of modern ammenities, no ABS, no cruise control, no heated grips, no gear indicator, only a 5 speed transmission. They are pretty heavy, but they handle pretty well.

If you do get one, I think I have a VStream windshield and a service manual for one Ive been meaning to list on the ST forum out in the garage.
Hey Mr Ferret ... what year(s) is your service manual for.
 
Manual says from 2003 to 2008 but they hardly changed them over the lifespan up to 2012

Also have National Cycle V Stream shield 19" tall, and another shield 14" tall.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Manual says from 2003 to 2008 but they hardly changed them over the lifespan up to 2012

Also have National Cycle V Stream shield 19" tall, and another shield 14" tall.
OK. I will see if I can find one that includes 2009 year. :)
 
I would suggest you join this site: Home

The tech articles they have are insane. Also, member igofar is the ST whisperer. He is a genius ST mech. There is much knowledge there. Ferret is a member. So am I, but don’t post much.
 
I think you'll find that the CB will become the 2nd bike, as a sport touring bike is a more capable bike.
I love the charm of my CB, but it won't ever take the place of my sport touring FJR.
It'll happen... just wait......
 
Nice, bflint. I've seen a red ST1300 somewhere once and it was a very handsome beast. I hope you enjoy it.

I rode one for a week at the first CB1100 rally and found it a fine bike.
 
I had a red 2005 ST that I bought new in 2006. It had sat on the dealer's floor for over a year and I got it out the door for $10K total. Loved everything about it except the heat that was nearly unbearable on summer days in south Georgia. Kept it for two years and sold it for a Tiger 1050.
 
redbirds_imp said:
I had a red 2005 ST that I bought new in 2006. It had sat on the dealer's floor for over a year and I got it out the door for $10K total. Loved everything about it except the heat that was nearly unbearable on summer days in south Georgia. Kept it for two years and sold it for a Tiger 1050.
Hey redbirds - was the heat from the Honda ST engine, or how the rider experienced the Georgian heat while sitting in the cockpit of the ST (i.e. the airflow was constrained too much in the GA heat)?
 
Hopefully you checked and are happy with the clutch operation. Heard from a few guys that dropping the engine is needed to replace the slave cylinder, unless you have some special tools and have very small hands.
 
Thread starter
Sparky80_imp said:
I think you'll find that the CB will become the 2nd bike, as a sport touring bike is a more capable bike.
I love the charm of my CB, but it won't ever take the place of my sport touring FJR.
It'll happen... just wait......
Hey Sparky80 .. Not gonna happen kiddo. Married to the CB1100; ST1300 is just the girlfriend.
Sparky80_imp said:
Hopefully you checked and are happy with the clutch operation. Heard from a few guys that dropping the engine is needed to replace the slave cylinder, unless you have some special tools and have very small hands.
Hey Sparky80 ... ST1300 operation is just fine! My ST1300 mech (and mech for police pool of ST1300s) told me these things are indestructable and that my 29K mileage ST1300 will out last me. He said that the strange thing is that (a) the radiators sometimes leak at the top seem ... not real common and (b) I have to change all the fluids on schedule because the ST1300 is not a forgiving bike in regards to fluids not being change frequently).
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I would suggest you join this site: Home

The tech articles they have are insane. Also, member igofar is the ST whisperer. He is a genius ST mech. There is much knowledge there. Ferret is a member. So am I, but don’t post much.
Thanks ... I am already there (with one whole post :) as bflint.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
I had a red 2005 ST that I bought new in 2006. It had sat on the dealer's floor for over a year and I got it out the door for $10K total. Loved everything about it except the heat that was nearly unbearable on summer days in south Georgia. Kept it for two years and sold it for a Tiger 1050.
Hey redbirds - was the heat from the Honda ST engine, or how the rider experienced the Georgian heat while sitting in the cockpit of the ST (i.e. the airflow was constrained too much in the GA heat)?
Hey redbirds - was the heat from the Honda ST engine, or how the rider experienced the Georgian heat while sitting in the cockpit of the ST (i.e. the airflow was constrained too much in the GA heat)?
The heat was off the radiator and worse on the left side. I understand that early model Yamaha FJ1300's had a similar problem but was corrected in later versions. Some of the heat came off the exhausts headers also and some members on the ST1300 Forum had heat wrapped their headers to ease this problem. I really was disappointed as the bike was a delight to ride otherwise.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
I had a red 2005 ST that I bought new in 2006. It had sat on the dealer's floor for over a year and I got it out the door for $10K total. Loved everything about it except the heat that was nearly unbearable on summer days in south Georgia. Kept it for two years and sold it for a Tiger 1050.
Hey redbirds - was the heat from the Honda ST engine, or how the rider experienced the Georgian heat while sitting in the cockpit of the ST (i.e. the airflow was constrained too much in the GA heat)?
Hey redbirds - was the heat from the Honda ST engine, or how the rider experienced the Georgian heat while sitting in the cockpit of the ST (i.e. the airflow was constrained too much in the GA heat)?
The heat was off the radiator and worse on the left side. I understand that early model Yamaha FJ1300's had a similar problem but was corrected in later versions. Some of the heat came off the exhausts headers also and some members on the ST1300 Forum had heat wrapped their headers to ease this problem. I really was disappointed as the bike was a delight to ride otherwise.
Hey redbirds - was the heat from the Honda ST engine, or how the rider experienced the Georgian heat while sitting in the cockpit of the ST (i.e. the airflow was constrained too much in the GA heat)? The heat was off the radiator and worse on the left side I researched the ST1300 while shopping for one and the heat issue was the dominant discussion (plus the break valve thingy). There seemed to be various solutions (oem deflectors, etc) so I went ahead and bought the bike. I noticed this bike had the headers wrapped. On my 1000 mile ride home from Portland, I did not notice any significant heat ... no more than my CB1100 ... so all seems to be good so far.
 
The heat never bothered me on my ST 1300 (it doesn't bother everyone..it's like vibes in the CB 1100 which some never feel and some feel are horrible) but I always wore motorcycle pants and boots.
 
Back
Top