ST1300 as 2nd bike ?

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Would a 2007 Honda ST1300 (non-ABS) with 50k miles be a could second bike purchase. I will "never" sell by 2014 CB1100 after putting 60,000+ miles of cross country riding on it I want to pamper it and save it for shorter excursions. The ST1300 seems reliable. Thoughts?
 
Lord Popgun has one, very sure he will chaim in..
P.S. As a second bike/short rides, I bought a DLX with 13K miles.
 
ST1300’s are extremely reliable. 50K miles is nothing on them. There are some known problem areas with the SMC being the big one on linked brakes (just ask Ferret about that). But proper maintenance cures the problems.

I would post your question on this board: General and ask. Make sure you say the year it is. The board is similar to this one with friendly guys and are very knowledgeable. They know the different model years and specific problems.

The biggest aggravation I have with the bike is there is no cruise control. I added the MCCruise control (from Australia) and now have electronic CC. Not cheap, but not that expensive.

I’m popgun there but I don’t post much. Member igofar is the ST whisperer and may be the best ST mechanic in the US.
 
Huntington Beach PD rides them around here, long after they ended production, which must say something...
 
I had a 2006 ST 1300 I bought new in 2008and proceded to put 109,900 miles on it until the SMC locked up the rear brake on me putting my wife and I into a big howling slide lol. I rode it to Maine, and California, thru Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, down to Georgia and North Carolina, up through Minnesota, Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan, It was a great bike. As these bikes age though there have been many reports of the SMC failing. The only other issues I know of are sticking thermostats and electric windshield gears and cables wearing out.

If I bought a used one, the first thing I would do is a brake bleed and a new SMC.

50k miles is nothing on these liquid cooled V4s, as long as they had some basic maintenace. They unfotunately do not have a lot of modern ammenities, no ABS, no cruise control, no heated grips, no gear indicator, only a 5 speed transmission. They are pretty heavy, but they handle pretty well.

If you do get one, I think I have a VStream windshield and a service manual for one Ive been meaning to list on the ST forum out in the garage.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Mr Ferret. For $5200 this garaged/clean ST1300 does have heated hand grips, but no abs. Talked to local "old school UJM moto shop" (National City Motorcycles) about this bike and he said they don't need much maint but a couple of big things occur from time-2-time (Cooling system leak and SMC) are pretty expensive. His shop maintained the pool of local police st1300s for years. If I buy, will take to his shop for checkup. :)
 
Imo thats maybe a little high for an 05. I figured the value of my 06 before the SMC failure in 2018 at $4500. Does it have new tires or Givi trunk or anything? Are they Honda heated grips or Oxfords?
 
An SMC is not very expensive, but the brake bleed is no fun. With a little maint. the SMC will be fine. Otherwise, not so much. Mine does have ABS. I don’t know if the ‘07 model has the electric windshield, but if it does, don’t run raise/lower it at highway speed or, like Ferret said, the gears for it get eaten up. All on the ST board. They have tech info over there to fill a binder. And I printed it all out.

A gear indicator can easily be added. I have a HealTech GI-pro on mine. Also on my CB!

At least you have a known good ST shop nearby if you need something you can’t do.

Oh yeah. The Tupperware has 10 million fasteners. There is a fastener sheet and also a sequence of removal chart/instructions on the ST board. Follow that. After the first time it isn’t really hard.

If never done the starter valves (throttle bodies) probable need synced.

These bikes are known to get HOT in normal operation. Not all do, but a big V4 between your legs. Yeah, there is going to be heat. As I ride ATGATT it never bothered me even in the South’s Summer heat.

When you test ride it, the engine temp should never go over 3 bars no matter what.

As Columbo said, Just one more thing—mine has Heli-bar risers on it so I can sit up. Came that way but I like them.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Imo thats maybe a little high for an 05. I figured the value of my 06 before the SMC failure in 2018 at $4500. Does it have new tires or Givi trunk or anything? Are they Honda heated grips or Oxfords?
Its at 2007 model. FYI, everything in Calif is expensive. In Calif, its hard to find a good used motorcycle at a "reasonable price" ... seems like used motos go like hot cakes around here. The $5175 price for a 52k miles bike is maybe a bit lower than others around here .... plus used non-police ST1300's are few and far between around here. Wondere what a used 2017 costs? :)
 
I have a 2006 with 25k miles. They are a beast to move around the garage especially after you just move the CB. They are smooth and handle well. This morning I am going to do the brake flush. Wish me luck
 
Thread starter
Sparky80_imp said:
seems like an antiquated sport touring bike.
I got three other letters for you.... FJR
I was thinking about that because Mr Ferret had one, but alas a side-by-side did not float the FJR up the list far enough to budge me from five important letters .... HONDA. :)
 
The Gen 3 FJR (2016-2020) is everything an updated ST 1300 should have been. Lighter, faster, better quipped with a 6 speed trans, cruise control, ABS, TC, modes etc. However any used Gen 3 FJR is going to cost at least twice what any used ST 1300 would cost.

Personally I liked my FJR a whole lot, and there still are days when I wonder if I made a mistake trading it in. I put 38,500 miles on it in 2 years. However my wife said she was done riding, and I'm basically done cross country touring, so I figured I didn't need a 145 hp 640 pound bike for my daily rides. If I were still touring, I'd have kept the FJR. Since riding the NC750X (498 pounds), I do not miss the weight of either the ST (720 pounds) or the FJR (640 pounds).
 
Thread starter
Am I crazy? Found red 2009 st1300 28k miles for $5500 ... IN PORTLAND OREGON. Thinking about flying up ($300) tomorrow (Fri 11/12) to get it and ride back to San Diego. Wife not happy about this, but she'll get over it. Haven't "seen" bike but talked to owner and background seems ok. Worst case is, the bike sucks (is that possible?), and I'm stuck in Portland until I can get a flight back. ???

craiglist = https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/d/canby-09-honda-st1300/7394447166.html
 
Well if the bike is ok, 1000 miles is nothing on an ST. For me the seat was torture on my first 5 hours on the road. For the rest of the trip home I installed the Airhawk and had no problems.

The temp gauge should warm to 3 bars and never go above that. If the 09 has the electric windshield, don’t run it up and down while at speed.

With new brakes and tires, and he is still riding it, I’d say it is good to go.

Get him to show you how to remove and install the sidebags. Not hard at all, but you DO want to make sure they are seated and latched properly. Mine are fully watertight too. YMMV and I don’t know if they are advertised that way.

You may want to take a throttle lock or wrist rest cramp buster thing with you or get one there. The return spring is pretty strong and killed me. Got a wrist rest thing while on the road and was ok for the rest of my trip.
 
That bike doesn't appear to have ABS, so it would be a definite "No" for me.

I owned a 2005 ST1300 WITH ABS that I sold two years ago for $4,800. It only had 31,000 miles, and quite a few more options than the one you are considering. Including an almost-new Russell heated seat.

I loved long-distance cruising on mine. (500-mile days, but mostly 350)

But it is HEAVY! So, to me, it really needs ABS.

IMHO
 
Thread starter
thanks for feedbacks ... currently planning to do this ... either fly up Sat morning or Tue Morning (lower airfares) .... there is risk in everything, but its a Honda so "lower risk" ... also fella sent me a walk around video and it sounds ok ... this fella is 54 and owned the ST for 4 years and fell of his room last year and motos hurt his back to ride ... he just sold an FJR that was his commuter bike ... the ST was his longer distance bike he rode to Arizona each year to see family.
 
Back
Top