St. George to Oregon...to Alaska?

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
A long time friend of mine loves BMW brand...and drops hints that I should buy one so we can ride "on the same footing". We've ridden to Central America together and were matched on KLR650s, turned out well. A few summers ago he was on his GS1200 and I on my CB1100 as we explored a bit of British Columbia. It worked, but there were times we might have explored other areas had I had a different bike.

So now we've planned a trip to Alaska for June-July. He's insisting that I take one of his GS1200s. Ok! To get it to Oregon, I did a fly and ride from St. George, Utah.

On Thursday of last week, I flew in to Vegas and my friend met me there and we shuttled over to St. George. His son is a ranger for the state parks and by afternoon we were riding the fringes of Zion so I could acclimate to the bike:
dd8d06f642d6f1f87e309bea60f417bd.jpg


On Friday, I got away by 2pm and started heading to Oregon, taking hiway 18 N x NW to 56, over to hiway 93 and then north to Ely, Nevada.
df958a44584b20993d172d9272a996cc.jpg


I would dance with the desert rains during the whole trip--one cloud burst got me for about 30 minutes--but I never really felt wet as it was so dry the drops would evap in seconds.

436d185617724060925accd6d70da507.jpg


Never had cruise control before which was nice. Heated grips, check. Easy to ride and got more comfortable with each curve.
7fde7431eb6f36bf57f39769ed87dba6.jpg


Most of the route north I had rain storms on either side of me, always seemed I was about to get a good soaking and then the hiway would veer away.
2e9c7d7a65f06b1be1d343cf171a488d.jpg


It's a pretty relaxing ride. The windshield does a decent job, but the air flow still hit the top 2" of my helmet. Kind of noisy, but it didn't buffet me much.

Hiway 93 runs into 50 which then takes you to Ely, and somewhere after I was planning to find a camp spot.
fc8c97e3098506d4b70a113ceff6d4f2.jpg


After exploring a few dirt/rock roads into the hills, I found a spot I liked, about a mile away from the hiway 10 miles east of Ely.
7f4920f7c2caa88b10df9a8f2542c230.jpg


I didn't realize I was at 7200' elevation, and yep, it was a cold night. But with multi-layers including all my mc gear, a decent sleeping bag and using my stove as a heater to combat the 37f degrees....it was bearable, barely.
 
Sounds like a dream honestly.

I have been leaning towards an ADV bike myself.

I did some mods to the CB to make Moto camping easier but I can't add much fuel capacity, long distance comfort, or suspension travel by much lol.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Some lovely shots in there, pdedse. Do you like the BMW?
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
Sounds like a dream honestly.

I have been leaning towards an ADV bike myself.

I did some mods to the CB to make Moto camping easier but I can't add much fuel capacity, long distance comfort, or suspension travel by much lol.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
They are very practical bikes. Which ones interest you most? I have a Suzuki DR650 that will see a lot of eastern Oregon, but it's not in the same league as the GS1200 on the hiway.

mvk24_imp said:
Sounds like a dream honestly.

I have been leaning towards an ADV bike myself.

I did some mods to the CB to make Moto camping easier but I can't add much fuel capacity, long distance comfort, or suspension travel by much lol.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Most of the interesting places to camp in my area involve forest service roads and then offshoots of those, and I wouldn't want to force that on the CB1100. It could handle some punishment, but it's not how I want to treat it. Better the DR650 for those camping outings.
Cormanus_imp said:
Some lovely shots in there, pdedse. Do you like the BMW?
I love it as a "borrowed bike"! It's heavy, but it gobbles up the hiway with ease. The ergos are nice, the seat is good. My friend has it set up perfectly for carrying stuff for extended trips. I know I'd be more comfortable riding some of the hilly off-road stuff that it's in central / eastern Oregon on the DR650. The 1200 is an impressive machine, and passing power is unbelievable. On some of the lonely stretches of Nevada, it hit 110 in a blink of an eye and didn't feel stressed.

Now would I buy one? At 22k? No. It's just too rich for me and the service and repair prices as well. What I love aobut my DR650--or the KLR650 I had for 15 years--is that I never had or have to to take it in to a shop because they're so easy to work on.
 
Thread starter
Day 2: Saturday

Had on all my available clothing as I got going by 8:15am...t-shirt, long sleave shirt, sweatshirt with another sweatshirt, and full winter jacket, sweat pants under mc pants, two pairs of socks, felt good.

Found an established campground (Illipah) just 20 miles beyond where I chose, and it was a pretty area with a fish-able lake.
e5964d61476296ad5724df39535d94f3.jpg


Lots of this...long straight shots where you could probably take a nap in the middle of the road and not worry about traffic.
f7947a7107dc3dc83a410e20d8254b45.jpg


The thing about riding an unfamiliar bike is that it's...unfamiliar. I was on interstate 80 about 30 miles from the town of Winnemucca. The "low on gas" light came on and indicated 34 miles to dry. But I was loaded down, going against a head-wind, and decided to backtrack 5 miles to a station I had just seen. My friend told me later I would have made it no problem, but you do have to be careful about passing up gas opps in Nevada.

e6edcd9651889526d34543314f239d0b.jpg


After Winnemucca, took 95 north towards Oregon, but veered west on hiway 140 towards the tiny "town" of Denio...hi-lighted by the only gas station around for a long time. Lady at the station recommended the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge / Virgin Valley Campground. I had asked about a spot where one could find water and this place didn't disappoint--warm spring fed a swimming pond and showers...just what I needed.

I prefer "back-country" camping where you just find a spot on public land, but decided an organized campground was worth it because of the water. There were some lively families with children, some music, doggies, but people settled down by 10, and I slept, gratefully, decent. Sunset at the 'grounds...
73e2b8ee6c54ad2f25eec1076ab48741.jpg

You might be able to click on the photo to zoom in to see my spot.
 
Honestly it would probably be the right price more than the right bike since the whole segment seems mostly capable.

If the Himalayan came in a 650 that might be the ticket to start price wise. Any if the DRs seem to really hold their value.

I like the KLR but not sure how good they are for the long highways since I have to go a few hours in either direction just to get away from the city/suburbs. So im almost forced to have a road bias in whichever I end up with.

A GS800, T7, or Triumph tiger 800 is probably more of what I need for the longer touring between campsites. Any of the big boys like the Africa twin or GS1200 would prob be out of my price range for a long time even on the used market.

I wanna do the Dalton up to darkhorse real bad, gotta get to Anchorage from NY first though so lots of highway lol.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
The KLRs are typically not considered good long mile bikes long term because they burn so much oil. The T7 is raucus fun off road but isn't quite as comfy on long miles. The smaller GS bikes and the smaller Tigers are a great all round choice.
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
Honestly it would probably be the right price more than the right bike since the whole segment seems mostly capable.

If the Himalayan came in a 650 that might be the ticket to start price wise. Any if the DRs seem to really hold their value.

I like the KLR but not sure how good they are for the long highways since I have to go a few hours in either direction just to get away from the city/suburbs. So im almost forced to have a road bias in whichever I end up with.

A GS800, T7, or Triumph tiger 800 is probably more of what I need for the longer touring between campsites. Any of the big boys like the Africa twin or GS1200 would prob be out of my price range for a long time even on the used market.

I wanna do the Dalton up to darkhorse real bad, gotta get to Anchorage from NY first though so lots of highway lol.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
There is a lot of truth to that...mostly capable, so if price is an issue, then a less expensive bike allows one to spend on luggage / panniers, camping gear and getting that all set up.

mvk24_imp said:
Honestly it would probably be the right price more than the right bike since the whole segment seems mostly capable.

If the Himalayan came in a 650 that might be the ticket to start price wise. Any if the DRs seem to really hold their value.

I like the KLR but not sure how good they are for the long highways since I have to go a few hours in either direction just to get away from the city/suburbs. So im almost forced to have a road bias in whichever I end up with.

A GS800, T7, or Triumph tiger 800 is probably more of what I need for the longer touring between campsites. Any of the big boys like the Africa twin or GS1200 would prob be out of my price range for a long time even on the used market.

I wanna do the Dalton up to darkhorse real bad, gotta get to Anchorage from NY first though so lots of highway lol.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
The Honda XL650, the KLR650 and the Suzuki DR650 have been linked together as carberated singles that "can do it all", the honda is the best of the 3 for off road, the KLR is the best for paved surfaces, and the DR is in the middle. The new KLRs are fuel injected...and they are the cheapest if you buy leftovers, which there are a lot of. I think the KLRs do decently on the hiway for long travel. Took mine on a month long, 7k mile trip, a couple of 700 mile days...it's willing if the rider is. It had 53k miles on it and still a lot to give when I traded it in on the DR650. A new base mdel '24 KLR is at $6800...I've seen new '22 / '23s n my area discounted at $5500-6000.

mvk24_imp said:
Honestly it would probably be the right price more than the right bike since the whole segment seems mostly capable.

If the Himalayan came in a 650 that might be the ticket to start price wise. Any if the DRs seem to really hold their value.

I like the KLR but not sure how good they are for the long highways since I have to go a few hours in either direction just to get away from the city/suburbs. So im almost forced to have a road bias in whichever I end up with.

A GS800, T7, or Triumph tiger 800 is probably more of what I need for the longer touring between campsites. Any of the big boys like the Africa twin or GS1200 would prob be out of my price range for a long time even on the used market.

I wanna do the Dalton up to darkhorse real bad, gotta get to Anchorage from NY first though so lots of highway lol.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
All 3 great bikes. If I were to buy a bmw, it'd be the GS800, but I do like that T7...nearly went that way instead of my '23 DR650, but my cheap side won out. Actually, I wanted a lighter bike to do some local riding in the desert and mountains. But a little heft is good for long-distance, wind-blown hiway travel.

mvk24_imp said:
Honestly it would probably be the right price more than the right bike since the whole segment seems mostly capable.

If the Himalayan came in a 650 that might be the ticket to start price wise. Any if the DRs seem to really hold their value.

I like the KLR but not sure how good they are for the long highways since I have to go a few hours in either direction just to get away from the city/suburbs. So im almost forced to have a road bias in whichever I end up with.

A GS800, T7, or Triumph tiger 800 is probably more of what I need for the longer touring between campsites. Any of the big boys like the Africa twin or GS1200 would prob be out of my price range for a long time even on the used market.

I wanna do the Dalton up to darkhorse real bad, gotta get to Anchorage from NY first though so lots of highway lol.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Oh my, so starting point is NY? Yep, that's a lotta acerage to cover, but what a trip. If that's the plan, I think I'd spring for the GS or T7--they'll cover that ground more readily than a KLR, DR or Himalaya...but some of that is the rider's attitude, time and money. I think the smaller displacement bikes will do the job, but there'll be less fatigue on a GS or T7.

Good luck with the motorcyle musings.
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The KLRs are typically not considered good long mile bikes long term because they burn so much oil. The T7 is raucus fun off road but isn't quite as comfy on long miles. The smaller GS bikes and the smaller Tigers are a great all round choice.
There are better bikes for long distance than a KLR for sure. The oil usage issue is there, worse for the 2008-09 versions when they first made changes, but I've read on forums that later versions don't have the same oil usage problem. Mine was a first generation '07 and it started to burn some oil when the bike got into its 20k mile range. The oil usage would only happen when I'd maintain 70mph plus over several hours of riding. I'd always carry a quart with me for long trips, and if I remember right, I'd add about 1/2 quart after 1500 miles. After the next 1500 miles it would be due for a change, so no need to add more.

The positives about a KLR or a DR650 is that they are so well known, are relatively easy to work on, and there's oodles of online help for any issues that may come up. My KLR...a blown fuse, a gas cap vent issue and a rear shock replacement during 50k miles...that's it. I never had to take it into the shop--and I'm no mechanic! If you can follow youtube videos, you can do all the maintenance.
 
Interesting topic. MotoQuest recently released their spring transport specials, and most run from Portland to Anchorage, riding GS 750, 850 or 1250. Tried to work it nine ways to Sunday, but just couldn't make any of them work with my current work travel.

Of all of their bikes, I prefer the smaller models like the 750 and 850. Just as good as eating up the miles as the big bike, but less work getting into the twisty stuff through the mountains and on the trails that I dip a toe on to get some better views. Yeah, chain vs. shaft, but hey, it's not mine, so I don't even look at it. On all of them, I have a buffeting issue at high speed with the tall windscreen, but not enough to be a pain.

Always think though, if I were to do long distance rides on my own bike, what would I want? It would have to bias to highway comfort, so as much as I'd like an anvil-simple KLR, might not be the best choice.

As for the NY to West Coast, there's a guy on YouTube, can't remember his handle, who does it on an air-cooled Bonneville. Gives me some thoughts that I can do that... heck, I already have one, and it's the most comfortable of my current bikes.
 
Thread starter
Day 3 Sunday

I made the trip plans about six weeks ago, and didn't realize that my return would be on Mother's Day. Oops! My son and his GF promised that they'd take good care of mom, and they had a fun day while I sheepeshly made my way home.

Slept till 4:15 and the first hint of light was on the horizon. An hour later I was underway.

c1ac977f070b02e3b135a6c6e6f9ee1d.jpg


It's pretty special to have the hiway to yourself. I can't remember what time it was when I first encountered another car. Maybe an hour later?

5fcfeb32e22e171b2c1dce2acfa66614.jpg


Northern NV and southern OR can be pretty devoid of much of anything. The sunrises are worth a few extra photos
6831713d817025895dd942f310b2372a.jpg


d173033ce1044323797153e62ac8dfe5.jpg


There's a section of hiway 140 just after crossing over into Oregon where you descend a high plateau with 7-8% grades. Very curvy and and expansive views. Zero traffic makes it even more fun.

1e74862f00824c22c8e661ef79a43624.jpg


c9910ec4e3e6e80c9906979469d6f1ca.jpg


8219ac0d3976979e52780f5444307988.jpg


This northern NV / southern OR on 140 to Lakeview, OR is one of my favorites. Canyons, curvy roads, views, shallow lakes, foresty areas, farmlands...expanse.

976439e90da9474d55641ca5193a64e4.jpg


ee6064c2a0a51c0598d5ebcba16762d1.jpg


From Lakeview to La Pine is wide open, free-feeling riding as well. Only when you get to north/south running hiway 97 do you encounter any traffic. It's hard to back off the 85-90mph speeds that are easy to maintain on the straights to the reality of 65-70.

Made it home by 2:30pm...and no family in sight. They wouldn't get home till 7pm by which time I had cleaned up and stowed away everything so the Mrs. wouldn't have that to look at on Mom's Day.

Now I've got a BMW shop date for oil change, some new sensors installed and new tires for the rest of the trip which starts around June 20.

I hope my body can hold up!
 
Wow, beautiful country! Good on you for getting home in time for Mother's Day! :)
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Interesting topic. MotoQuest recently released their spring transport specials, and most run from Portland to Anchorage, riding GS 750, 850 or 1250. Tried to work it nine ways to Sunday, but just couldn't make any of them work with my current work travel.

Of all of their bikes, I prefer the smaller models like the 750 and 850. Just as good as eating up the miles as the big bike, but less work getting into the twisty stuff through the mountains and on the trails that I dip a toe on to get some better views. Yeah, chain vs. shaft, but hey, it's not mine, so I don't even look at it. On all of them, I have a buffeting issue at high speed with the tall windscreen, but not enough to be a pain.

Always think though, if I were to do long distance rides on my own bike, what would I want? It would have to bias to highway comfort, so as much as I'd like an anvil-simple KLR, might not be the best choice.

As for the NY to West Coast, there's a guy on YouTube, can't remember his handle, who does it on an air-cooled Bonneville. Gives me some thoughts that I can do that... heck, I already have one, and it's the most comfortable of my current bikes.
Ooh, I need to look more seriously at this idea. My friend is basically giving me the chance to do this on his 1200. I helped him paint a house once free of charge, so it balances out.

Gone in 60_imp said:
Interesting topic. MotoQuest recently released their spring transport specials, and most run from Portland to Anchorage, riding GS 750, 850 or 1250. Tried to work it nine ways to Sunday, but just couldn't make any of them work with my current work travel.

Of all of their bikes, I prefer the smaller models like the 750 and 850. Just as good as eating up the miles as the big bike, but less work getting into the twisty stuff through the mountains and on the trails that I dip a toe on to get some better views. Yeah, chain vs. shaft, but hey, it's not mine, so I don't even look at it. On all of them, I have a buffeting issue at high speed with the tall windscreen, but not enough to be a pain.

Always think though, if I were to do long distance rides on my own bike, what would I want? It would have to bias to highway comfort, so as much as I'd like an anvil-simple KLR, might not be the best choice.

As for the NY to West Coast, there's a guy on YouTube, can't remember his handle, who does it on an air-cooled Bonneville. Gives me some thoughts that I can do that... heck, I already have one, and it's the most comfortable of my current bikes.
Sometimes the best cross-country bike is the one you already have matched with a generous helping of "attitude".
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, beautiful country! Good on you for getting home in time for Mother's Day! :)
See? There's a case to be made for the GS1200...had I been on my DR650 or the KLR, I'd still be out there.
 
Awesome pics pdedse. Sometimes when I am riding out west, I am overcome by the sheer expanse and the feeling of being alone in it.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Interesting topic. MotoQuest recently released their spring transport specials, and most run from Portland to Anchorage, riding GS 750, 850 or 1250. Tried to work it nine ways to Sunday, but just couldn't make any of them work with my current work travel.

Of all of their bikes, I prefer the smaller models like the 750 and 850. Just as good as eating up the miles as the big bike, but less work getting into the twisty stuff through the mountains and on the trails that I dip a toe on to get some better views. Yeah, chain vs. shaft, but hey, it's not mine, so I don't even look at it. On all of them, I have a buffeting issue at high speed with the tall windscreen, but not enough to be a pain.

Always think though, if I were to do long distance rides on my own bike, what would I want? It would have to bias to highway comfort, so as much as I'd like an anvil-simple KLR, might not be the best choice.

As for the NY to West Coast, there's a guy on YouTube, can't remember his handle, who does it on an air-cooled Bonneville. Gives me some thoughts that I can do that... heck, I already have one, and it's the most comfortable of my current bikes.
Ooh, I need to look more seriously at this idea. My friend is basically giving me the chance to do this on his 1200. I helped him paint a house once free of charge, so it balances out.

Gone in 60_imp said:
Interesting topic. MotoQuest recently released their spring transport specials, and most run from Portland to Anchorage, riding GS 750, 850 or 1250. Tried to work it nine ways to Sunday, but just couldn't make any of them work with my current work travel.

Of all of their bikes, I prefer the smaller models like the 750 and 850. Just as good as eating up the miles as the big bike, but less work getting into the twisty stuff through the mountains and on the trails that I dip a toe on to get some better views. Yeah, chain vs. shaft, but hey, it's not mine, so I don't even look at it. On all of them, I have a buffeting issue at high speed with the tall windscreen, but not enough to be a pain.

Always think though, if I were to do long distance rides on my own bike, what would I want? It would have to bias to highway comfort, so as much as I'd like an anvil-simple KLR, might not be the best choice.

As for the NY to West Coast, there's a guy on YouTube, can't remember his handle, who does it on an air-cooled Bonneville. Gives me some thoughts that I can do that... heck, I already have one, and it's the most comfortable of my current bikes.
Sometimes the best cross-country bike is the one you already have matched with a generous helping of "attitude".
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, beautiful country! Good on you for getting home in time for Mother's Day! :)
See? There's a case to be made for the GS1200...had I been on my DR650 or the KLR, I'd still be out there.
:rofl: That, or some esoteric electronic component would fail and you'd still be out there.
 
Adventure "style" bikes are very comfortable for most people ergo-wise, but for the most part are very much street-oriented machines. They can take most dirt roads, forest service roads etc, but are too big, too heavy, and not suspended enough for much adventure riding for the average person. There are exceptions of course like the guys who ride Goldwings off road


(Check out the 4 min to 8 min mark ..but the whole vid is entertaining)

My NC is considered an "Adventure " bike by Honda but trust me, it's a street bike lol. However riding position is very much Adventure bike style, and in that respect it's a very comfortable upright riding position ride.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Adventure "style" bikes are very comfortable for most people ergo-wise, but for the most part are very much street-oriented machines. They can take most dirt roads, forest service roads etc, but are too big, too heavy, and not suspended enough for much adventure riding for the average person. There are exceptions of course like the guys who ride Goldwings off road


(Check out the 4 min to 8 min mark ..but the whole vid is entertaining)

My NC is considered an "Adventure " bike by Honda but trust me, it's a street bike lol. However riding position is very much Adventure bike style, and in that respect it's a very comfortable upright riding position ride.
The general rule of thumb is that if the wheels aren't spoked, they're not serious about the "adventure" moniker.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Awesome pics pdedse. Sometimes when I am riding out west, I am overcome by the sheer expanse and the feeling of being alone in it.
I like that feeling. You can see a range on the horizon and it can take an hour or two to pass by or get to...and in some places in Nevada you have to deal with all that 2 or 3 car traffic.
 
Thanks for the feedback, ride looks amazing im dying to ride cross country, up country down country etc lol.

Attitude is the one thing I have and have always just toured on w.e I had. I road long island to Maine in a day on a 1981 kz440 Ltd with no windscreen and no face shield and a bunch of the older guys thought I was crazy lol.

I'm just hitting that point where I know there's "better" bikes for what I like to do. My original plan was to use the CB for Dalton because its my most reliable bike and pending the season I still may. But I know that'll be slow going once I'm up there avoiding every pothole along the way.

I want to strip down and rebuild one if my 93 XJ600 Secas and go "ADV" build with it real bad as the comfort, reliability, ease of maintenance, and range are just right. but I dont have the extra space or money to do that project for awhile.

There was like a 3 year old Triumph tiger 800 fully loaded with panniers and all at a local shop for a good price a few years ago and I beat myself up for not grabbing it still lol

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thanks for sharing your trip, pdedse. What country to ride through! Lovely.
 
Back
Top