Squealing Front Brakes Just Before Complete Stop

Flynrider_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
I have read many squeaking brake posts. I am wondering why some are having this issue while others do not on the exact same year and model. My brakes are perfect. My only suggestions would be to remove all parts, clean and buff with a fine wire brush. Clean spotless with brake cleaner. Reassemble with anti squeal on all surfaces, even in between the heat shields. Let it sit overnight before riding. Report back.
Most of the ones I've read have to do with the '17 EX front brakes. That's the only one I know of that has owners complaining of a pervasive squealing problem.
Most of the ones I've read have to do with the '17 EX front brakes. That's the only one I know of that has owners complaining of a pervasive squealing problem.
For some reason when it happens, it only happens on my rear brake ('14). :dodgy:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
I have read many squeaking brake posts. I am wondering why some are having this issue while others do not on the exact same year and model. My brakes are perfect. My only suggestions would be to remove all parts, clean and buff with a fine wire brush. Clean spotless with brake cleaner. Reassemble with anti squeal on all surfaces, even in between the heat shields. Let it sit overnight before riding. Report back.
Most of the ones I've read have to do with the '17 EX front brakes. That's the only one I know of that has owners complaining of a pervasive squealing problem.
Most of the ones I've read have to do with the '17 EX front brakes. That's the only one I know of that has owners complaining of a pervasive squealing problem.
For some reason when it happens, it only happens on my rear brake ('14). :dodgy:
Most of the ones I've read have to do with the '17 EX front brakes. That's the only one I know of that has owners complaining of a pervasive squealing problem.
For some reason when it happens, it only happens on my rear brake ('14). :dodgy:
Yes, I have the same problem with my rear break (now for 3.500 km) But only with dry weather. If it’s moisture air, the squealing is gone for some days.
Already had take apart the rear break, cleaned everything, but no success.
 
My rear brake has squealed on and off for some years.
 
like I said, it could mean you just don't ride it enough.

the reason the rear squeals is because it's not used as much.

since I got my Harley my Honda brakes started squealing. it's oxidation on the pads plain and simple.

it is possible.

can some 17 EX daily commuters weigh in please? do your brakes squeal? I'm guessing not...
 
jimgl3_imp said:
like I said, it could mean you just don't ride it enough.

the reason the rear squeals is because it's not used as much.

since I got my Harley my Honda brakes started squealing. it's oxidation on the pads plain and simple.

it is possible.

can some 17 EX daily commuters weigh in please? do your brakes squeal? I'm guessing not...
Actually, they do, sqeal like a pig...front ones anyway. This has been documented, I'll look for the thread.
Actually, they do, sqeal like a pig...front ones anyway. This has been documented, I'll look for the thread.
Here it is:

VLJ and front brake issues
 
ok maybe you know something I don't, but I don't see where he says it's his daily commuter bike. or anything about miles for that matter. I get the impression it's fairly new. I also see he has another bike that he rides, " I've been riding the XSR900 in the rain the past couple of days"

so I don't really see how this fits my comment... sorry
 
jimgl3_imp said:
ok maybe you know something I don't, but I don't see where he says it's his daily commuter bike. or anything about miles for that matter. I get the impression it's fairly new. I also see he has another bike that he rides, " I've been riding the XSR900 in the rain the past couple of days"

so I don't really see how this fits my comment... sorry

I can't speak for VLJ as for how many miles he puts on his '17 CB1100; but I do recall him riding it substantially as he has posted some in-depth reviews on the bike on these forums. Maybe he will chime in.

I had a '14 standard, put 10k miles on it in 2 years, no squeal. I bought my '17 a year ago. It didn't make any squealing noise from front or rear until around 7-8 hundred miles I think. Since then, only the front squeal upon light braking as one comes to a stop. Brake hard, and no squeal. The bike has about 4500 miles on it. Is it my commuter? Some times, but mostly not. But at 4500 miles / 52 weeks / 5 days per week = 17 miles a day if it were my commuter. Except the last two months (out of country), I ride the CB1100 4 days per week I'd say on average. Squeal hasn't gotten worse nor better.

There have been 3-4 other '17 owners here who have mentioned the squeal. Again, I don't know how much they ride.

I believe that I understand your point--that it's possible squeal results from brakes not being used enough to remove oxidation from surface of the pads. Perhaps you are right. If so, I wonder how much riding would be sufficient for squeal to "go away", or maybe once it starts, it doesn't go away without pads being treated in some fashion.

On the other hand, my '14 didn't squeal at all and riding habits of frequency and location didn't change at all between bikes.

Could the squeal result from something other than oxidation that stems from lack of use? I simply don't know. It doesn't bother me much so I haven't asked dealer to look at it...but maybe I will when it's due for tires or something.
 
My 2013 and 2014 never squeal but my 2017 does a little from the front brakes.
I ride every bike the same and every time I go out I take the next one , so every third ride the bike get used again. It does not bother me too much , I find the brakes perfect on the CB 1100 (all have ABS )
 
2013 bought new in 2015. 8.5k miles. Still life left on pads although this spring I will swap them out for EBC HH sintered. I just turn up the volume on my Sena and it goes away.
 
Have to chime in here. Please excuse my past post about it being an harmonic noise from the ABS sensor disc. Totally embarrassed by that, but don't let it take away from this post.

I tried everything that was suggested in another thread; bevel the pad's edges, anti-squeal crap on the back of the pads, clean, sand, etc.
And I'm not going to change the way I brake coming to a stop.

But one thing that was suggested HAS worked very well(for me).
Add a backing plate to the pads.

I went to the local Cycle Gear and looked for a set of pads with a backing plate that was about the same shape of the EX pads. Found a set of EBC pads(FA252HH) and the plates looked close enough(turned out that the retaining tabs were a bit long so I just trimmed them to fit).
Wow. Adding the backing plate eliminated almost all of the squeal. Occasionally, it will give a bit of a honk within 6 inches of a complete stop that is hardly noticeable.
I do use my front brakes pretty hard and have not noticed any adverse affects in over 2k miles.

It cost me a few $$ to figure this out, but it was worth it. I'm in love again.
But Honda? You disappoint.
 
My much more expensive Yamaha FJR squeals on both wheels. Annoying? Yes! Going to ruin the riding experience for me? Heck no.

In contrast my 14 CB1100 dlx only squeals on the front wheel.
 
Mine too squeaks some from the front, but only right when the bike comes to a stop. Most of the squeak went away when I did Ferret’s suggestion to wipe off the rotors. I need to try that again.
 
I suppose it is a soft inconvenience to many, especially since we are 20 years into the 21st century and motorcycle disc brakes (let alone cars) have been around even more decades before.

I am sure some material science can rid the nuisance, but probably at extra expense and/or other inconvenience like alternative oxidation, brittleness, abrasiveness, and so on.

Yes, coming to a smooth stop on the CB on a perfect riding day only to hear the brake squawk during those last few feet is ... "a drag".
 
I wrote a post a post when I had a 2000 or 3000 miles on my '17 EX. It had also developed an annoying squeal on the front brake just before stopping. I have tried a number of things listed here (chamfering pads, new Honda pads, new EBC pads, anti squeal coating in the back of the pads) to no avail. I even had my ABS code wheel off the front wheel for a few weeks while I waited for a new one. Nothing solved the noise. I get a few miles of relief from burnishing the disks with steel wool and cleaning with brake cleaner on a rag but I'm not up to doing that every time I ride. I usually ride 60 miles a day so I don't think the noise is from lack of use. I have 15500 miles on the bike now and except for the noise it has been trouble free. I had a '13 CB1100 (20000 miles) which never generated the brake noise. I also have an R100GSPD (68000 miles), R1150GS ( 40000 miles) and a SR400 single (19000 miles). None of these bikes have this malady. I'm planning on amortising these disks until 25000 miles or so and then try EBS disks.
 
Many Honda's have the same caliper housing but only one keeper bolt in the center and don't squeal, has anyone tried to remove one of the two bolts ( pins with allen key head ) ( front or rear bolts on the front calipers ) that hold the pads in place and what was the result?
 
jimgl3_imp said:
like I said, it could mean you just don't ride it enough.

the reason the rear squeals is because it's not used as much.

since I got my Harley my Honda brakes started squealing. it's oxidation on the pads plain and simple.

it is possible.

can some 17 EX daily commuters weigh in please? do your brakes squeal? I'm guessing not...
Your guess would be wrong. I put about 12-15,000 miles on my bikes per year, didn't have this problem on my '14.

I continue to daily commute in LA on my '17, and have noticed it continuously for the 2,000 miles or so I've put on it in the 2 months I've owned it despite swapping the pads (left to right and vice-versa), thorough cleaning of the calipers, and applying CRC Brake-quiet. The brake grease worked for about a day, it seemed like, but that's it. Eventually I also filed down the edges of the pads as I saw someone recommended that to VLJ. That actually seems to have reduced the squealing and my ABS hasn't errored since I did that, but didn't fix the noise entirely.

Also, Ferret, I think it may ruin your riding experience a bit more if that squealing was associated with malfunctioning ABS as I suspect mine is! I finally got the new sintered HH pads in and on the bike and that seems to have worked but I've only been able to ride around the neighborhood so far.
 
What are the symptoms of a malfunctioning ABS? Light on dash? I have no odea if my ABS functions or not lol
 
Back
Top