Spoked wheels for a 2014 DLX

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
Is anyone beside me thinking about putting spoked wheels on their 2014 DLX when they get it? I really like the look of the European models with the spoked wheels, and I plan to look into purchasing a set of Honda wheels if my dealer in US can accommodate me. Does anyone have any info (or guesses at this point) about whether or not the spoked Honda wheels will be a simple swap? Are the spoked Honda wheel tubeless? Are the rotors and wheel spacers interchangeable? Prices? Thanks.
 
Dave_imp said:
Is anyone beside me thinking about putting spoked wheels on their 2014 DLX when they get it? I really like the look of the European models with the spoked wheels, and I plan to look into purchasing a set of Honda wheels if my dealer in US can accommodate me. Does anyone have any info (or guesses at this point) about whether or not the spoked Honda wheels will be a simple swap? Are the spoked Honda wheel tubeless? Are the rotors and wheel spacers interchangeable? Prices? Thanks.
I would be astounded if Honda went out on a limb and made spoked wheels tubeless on this bike. The only spoked tubeless wheels I've seen were those bizarre BMW spokes on the GS, in which the spokes were mounted way, way on the outside of the rims.
bb63f5afdd7edc767c6c00e3fc25c061.jpg
 
Chris, the Tenere' also has tubeless spoked wheels.

Someone on ADV forum blew up a pic of the wheels on the Ex model CB 1100 and it clearly said Tube Type Tires on the tire. I am actually surprised they still make tire that are only tube type.

Oops forgot the source for the info on the Tenere tubeless tires

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles...2013-yamaha-xt1200z-super-t-n-r-ar152771.html

The motorcycle rides on spoked, tubeless aluminium rims wrapped in imposing 110/80R19M/C 59V front and 150/70R17M/C 69V rear tires.
 
Of course, Yamaha's GS1200. How could I forget?
As long as there are spokes, and no foolproof way of sealing the holes in the rim that spokes require, there will always be tube-type tires.
Perhaps I'm just resistant to change, but there's something wrong with these wheels. Some disadvantage to the design... and not just aesthetic...
 
My Griso has tubeless spoked wheels. The old Moto Guzzi EV also used tubeless spoked wheels.
 
The Honda EX wire spoke wheels certainly look conventional, unlike those on the BMW and Yamaha. Could Honda be running tubes in tubeless tires? Or alternatively 40 o-rings under the 40 spoke nipples?
Also, i'm pretty sure the little ABS sensor wheel is different on the wire spoke wheel, too. Switching to wire spoke wheels using EX parts is sure to be a very expensive proposition.
 
Back
Top