Speedometer and Odometer aren't working

caleb_dud_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hey all,
I recently replaced my meter on my 2014 cb1100 due to a crash. It was as simple as bolting it on and plugging it in but the odometer and speedometer wont work. The tachometer is working great though. I'm wondering if I need to program it some how or if there may be a different problem. What do you all think it is? I appreciate any help I can get!
 
The input for the speedometer comes from the rear speed sensor. Check back there first and make sure the pulser ring is ok, the sensor is not damaged, and its connector is plugged in. Thats a first step.
 
From the wiring diagram for CB1100 (After the '13 model)
Note from me--Non ABS. Wiring is different for ABS models and for 2013 models.

The speed sensor at the rear wheel wire colors are blue and white. They go to a 2 pin connector(blue on the diagram). The wire colors then change to pink/white and green/red. The 2 pin connector is back by the swingarm IIRC. You can just follow the sensor harness and find it.

The speed sensor then gets to the meter via the 10 pin connector (black on the diagram). If it isn't black, it is a 10 pin. The other 2 meter connectors are 6 pin and 8 pin.
The wire colors for the for the speed sensor are pink/white and green/red going to the 10 pin connector and on to the meter.

I would check that connector for bent pins and proper insertion.

If you have ABS, there is more involved.

One question. Do the meter needles sweep to full scale and back when you turn the ignition on?
 
FYI, there is no programming done for the meters.

Being you were in a crash, did the speedometer work after the wreck? If so, is the new meter assm. a new unit? If not, are you sure it worked?

Myself, being a technician, I would check all the connectors (and the manual suggests that first), them check the wires for continuity from the sensor connector to the meter connector, then go from there.

The book says to check the 10a meter/illumination fuse. It would seem that if the needles and meter lights are working that should be good. An easy way to check that fuse is to see if your tail light comes on when you turn on the ignition as the fuse feeds that too.
 
hi,

could you share me a contact or shop address that selling the full set of Cb1100 2015 speedometer and tacho dash

I had an accident and ironically no scratch on every other part, except a wrecked dash.

i dont know how and where to find a replacement
 
Try samurider.com in Japan. If you can't find what you want on-line send an email to Takashi.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Try samurider.com in Japan. If you can't find what you want on-line send an email to Takashi.
His email is contact@samurider.com He has access to all Honda OEM parts.
 
I bet the dash has to be matched to the ECU via some diagnostic tool since it has the ODO and ODO tampering is a no-no.
 
Didn't we have a big thread on this? And you can just replace the meters without any problem? And Huythuy is in Vietnam so no pesky US title problems at least. Disclaimer: I don't know how Vietnam does things :)

There is nothing in the service manual either for any programming. Just says ...replace meter. In another place when troubleshooting, just says ...replace ECU.

Me being the honest sort, I would note the mileage on the title in the place VA. has for mileage in excess of what the ODO shows.
 
AzBob_imp said:
I bet the dash has to be matched to the ECU via some diagnostic tool since it has the ODO and ODO tampering is a no-no.
I recall seeing a post (maybe a few years back) from someone that had the gauges replaced by a dealer. The poster said that the odometer reading on the new gauges started back at 0 miles. I remember being surprised by that as I had assumed that the mileage would have been stored in the ECU. According to the poster, the dealer claimed that there was no procedure to put the proper mileage reading back.

Edit : Here's a thread about it. It seems that although it may be possible to program the new meters with the correct mileage, nobody seems to have been able to get a dealer to actually do it. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5547
 
I agree with Popgun's diagnosis - likely caused by a tweaked rear speedo sensor ring or improper air gap (.002" - .005") between sensor ring and the sensor. I've heard of speedos or ABS not working after a bike is brought in for tire change, and the tech bends the sensor ring accidentally, or puts the axle spacers on the wrong side, as on ST1300s.

On Japanese bikes, there is no correlations between the ECM and odometer mileage, not even on Gold Wings. The total mileage is burned into the speedometer's permanent memory. The trip mileage (and clock and radio presets) are recorded in the meter's temporary memory, and are erased when the battery is disconnected.

A while ago, I had to have my speedometer and entire electronic dash display changed under warranty just because the clock was slow! The dealer had to keep my car for a week because they had to be sure I wasn't putting miles on it while they had the factory (in Europe) send a meter assembly with the same mileage. Fortunately, doesn't apply to bikes.
 
If the sensor gap proves to be within spec; try disconnecting the ground lead from the battery for about a minute, and reconnecting.
 
caleb_dud_imp said:
Hey all,
I recently replaced my meter on my 2014 cb1100 due to a crash. It was as simple as bolting it on and plugging it in but the odometer and speedometer wont work. The tachometer is working great though. I'm wondering if I need to program it some how or if there may be a different problem. What do you all think it is? I appreciate any help I can get!
Hi comrade! I have the same problem on my 2012 cb 1100. Can you tell me how did you fix it? I was checked out speed sensor and illumination fuse, everything is ok. By the way, illumination is doesn't work too.
 
Back
Top