son went down

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
A few of you know my son B. I got the email that he had gone down while we were at the ST owners rally in SE Ohio Friday night. Not the kind of email you want to get!

He was riding his FJ-09 home from work Friday evening and hit some antifreeze left by a broken down car in a left turn (car was parked with hood up 1/4 mile later). Said the front end slid out from under him like he hit a patch of ice. No time to react.

Minor road rash on his left hand and both knees ( He was wearing full face helmet and armored mesh jacket but no gloves and wearing jeans and gym shoes... It was in upper 80's temperature, and he only lives 8 miles from work.). Bike has usual low side rash, left engine cover, mirror, clutch lever end, turn signal, left hand saddlebag. Just scared him for the most part, but at least it wasn't a bad wreck. Nothing broken but his spirit. First time for him on the pavement in 20 years of street riding.

He learned a lesson about wearing gear even if it's only for the 8 mile ride to work. Says he's going to get a pair of armored over pants he can wear over the jeans and khakis he wears to work, and some boots that look like work shoes.

Good plan son, glad you are ok..
 
Ferret, sorry to hear it but glad he's okay. It's certainly tempting to forego ATGATT when the weather is nice, but then it wouldn't be ATT.
 
The ferret_imp said:
A few of you know my son B. I got the email that he had gone down while we were at the ST owners rally in SE Ohio Friday night. Not the kind of email you want to get!

He was riding his FJ-09 home from work Friday evening and hit some antifreeze left by a broken down car in a left turn (car was parked with hood up 1/4 mile later). Said the front end slid out from under him like he hit a patch of ice. No time to react.

Minor road rash on his left hand and both knees ( He was wearing full face helmet and armored mesh jacket but no gloves and wearing jeans and gym shoes... It was in upper 80's temperature, and he only lives 8 miles from work.). Bike has usual low side rash, left engine cover, mirror, clutch lever end, turn signal, left hand saddlebag. Just scared him for the most part, but at least it wasn't a bad wreck. Nothing broken but his spirit. First time for him on the pavement in 20 years of street riding.

He learned a lesson about wearing gear even if it's only for the 8 mile ride to work. Says he's going to get a pair of armored over pants he can wear over the jeans and khakis he wears to work, and some boots that look like work shoes.

Good plan son, glad you are ok..

Glad he is OK.

It is really easy to become less mindful of safety, even if just how we drive a car around.

I constantly remind myself- I'd rather sweat than bleed.

Dress for the crash, not the ride. :)
 
Ferret, glad to hear your son is OK. Ditto on the right gear even for short rides. As we all know, hands and feet are particularly vulnerable. In all the years I have been riding, knock wood, the 2 times I have laid a bike down were in turns where the bike slid out from under me.
 
Thread starter
Yea Tommy, it makes your stomach wad up some. You always worry. He's a great young man, a very good, smart and conscientious rider, but we all know how dangerous it is out there. Heck he may be 39 years old but he's still our baby. lol

Like I said, a lesson learned. When it's not hot, he's an all the gear guy, like in the pic below. But it got hot, he's ridden for 20 years without an incident, it's only 8 miles to work, and he got complacent. Bet he's not complacent any more.

b59411ee9f58192bc92fd5d13aafcfcb.jpg
 
Glad to hear he’s ok. They say most accidents happen close to home.

I went out yesterday in just a tee shirt. That jacket I got for my bday is great but just too warm for this summer weather. Nothing happened but I was thinking how I really shouldn’t this morning and ordered a mesh jacket online. One thing that is a surety about riding is sooner or later you’re going to dump.
 
Glad to hear he is OK!!!
 
an unavoidable lowside was my first wreck too, though it didn't take me 20 years, it took me 6 months, and i wasn't on nearly as expensive a bike. i'm sure insurance will do right by you. glad to hear the injuries were pretty run-of-the-mill.
 
Glad to hear his injuries were relatively minor. Thanks for sharing the lesson, I'm sure it will help someone here someday.
 
I am glad that he is ok but remember: most accidents are close too home because that's where you ride the most.

I would NEVER ride without boots or gloves and in my case all the other gear as well. Sweating just takes a shower.
 
Back
Top