son went down

Holy smokes that's scary, ferret! Glad it was a lesson learned instead of a life-altering split second in time. I've never been down but I've heard it can happen on a slick surface with absolute suddenness. I got a little scare the other day when I went around a tight right-angle I've ridden dozens of times, when the front tire stepped out what felt like three inches. I stayed up but went back to see what it was because it felt like a patch of oil. Turned out to be about a three inch wide curved patch of tiny round rocks that must've spilled out of a trailer or pickup truck. They were the same color as the road and virtually invisible. It was like riding on BBs.

I gear up for my 13-mile work commute every single time. Sometimes I'm tempted to skip it if I'm short on time, but I just decide to either go ahead and get in the gear or bail on the ride and just take the car. It reminds me to get going that extra 5-10 minutes early so there's no excuse for no gear or no ride. Yes it's a hassle to get out of when I get to work and put it on/off for lunch and then on/off again for the ride home. But I am convinced that the day I tempt fate without full gear is the day I'd probably go down.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys, he was here with the family for dinner tonight and his left hand is swollen a bit but nothing seems to be broken and it works just fine, just a little puffy. I got him to start icing it.

He is planning to ride to work everyday this week that it doesn't rain, but says he thinks it will be a little scary at first. I told him most everyone who rides goes through this. I did, his uncle did,even his grandmother did, and it's just something you have to put out of your mind and realize it was just a weird circumstance that happens very rarely, after all, it hadn't happened to him for 20 years before now.

We will fix what little is broken on the bike without involving insurance.
 
So sorry ferret!

My only crash was from an unseen road hazard (sand) and they are constantly on my mind.
 
Glad to hear it was not more serious. The thought of hands hitting pavement, unprotected, is really scarry. Hopefully a quick recovery!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thank goodness he’s OK, and this is just a valuable and relatively benign lesson.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've been away for a week and only just now catching up.
Sorry to hear the bad news, but very glad it wasn't any worse that it was.
 
Glad to hear he's ok. I got that call at work a few years ago and it is a gut-wrenching feeling. Unfortunately, even after some broken bones and nasty road rash, my kid doesn't do ATGATT. He's getting better, but he's not there. Then I remember what I wore when I was 24 - I didn't wear a helmet until the state made me - and I can only hope he gets smarter than me and sooner than me. And you're right, he's always going to be my little boy - even at 6'4" - and I'm always going to worry about him. That's what we do.
 
So sorry to hear, Mickey. Glad he’s not hurt too badly, at least on the spectrum of motorcycle mishaps. Still, no fun to go through and very scary as a parent. Hope he heals up quickly. Good thoughts your way.
 
I'm thankful your son is on the mend and he's up and riding again. It takes nerve to get back up and ride again after going down.

It's warming up here in the Pacific Northwest and today when I go ride, I will be geared up.

God bless, Russ
 
Glad to hear he is ok. i totally understand the gear thing and when its hot. For the most part because of my job, it is very easy to dress with riding gear, especially mesh armored pants....but then there are those days when i just do not want to wear that jacket.....maybe this might serve as as a reminder to all of us...my ride is 8 miles to work!!!
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
The thought of riding without gloves gives me the chills. Glad it worked out as well as it did.

Chip
Yeah ... me too, Chip.

Mickey, glad your son is OK.
 
Catching up on things around here after another stint of time away and just now came across this thread. Definitely not the type of news that you ever want to receive. Mickey, I'm glad that things did not turn out worse for your son and that he will heal up okay. I certainly wish him well with the mental side of riding going forward.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Guth. I think he's back on track with riding. He's back riding to work, and his scabs are quickly healing.First day he rode to work after the accident he texted me "loose bike, tight rider" lol
 
Back
Top