solution to poor clock display

Chuckk_imp

Been there
Thread starter
this is my first attempt at solving my problem of not being able to read the time on the CB's display.. it works fairly well, but I want something just a little larger.. the handle bar mounted clocks are so cheap now, I ordered several different ones.. their cost is about $7. to $12. I wanted digital, but must settle for analog.. I had planned on using this stick-on with a handle bar mount, but found it is smaller than the analog ones.. the stick-on is about 1inch in diameter and the analogs are about 1 1/4 inches..
7373f4d94894a636f34b02d5003eedb5.jpg
 
Creative Chuckk.

Beware: I have used a few of these type of modules and for some reason they eat batteries, at least the ones that provide temperature do. I even had ones that optionally glowed at night - but the batteries did not last long either.

In terms of the metallic analogue handlebar types, they died on me too (just seized up). So I have given up on dash trash from China. For me anyway, they seem to be more hassle than they are worth. Too bad for the landfill.
 
Thread starter
https://cb1100forum.net/forum/uploads/imp/201909/e0a3b0fac5424ba45c914123bd878357.jpg[/img][/font
25432bc424a3e40ac6de076a173bfe06.jpg
I would not mind, covering up Honda's clock if I could find one to match my temp display.. because of the extra digit, I would put the clock above the temp.. maybe mount both on a small alum plate then velcro them.. but after a long search for a clock to match, I gave up.. maybe someone out there knows where I could find a clock to match.. let me know ..
my temp gauge does well in normal light.. better than Honda's clock in many instances..
df73ece7f04d0e96432adf11b92185b7.jpg
 
I wear amber tinted sun glasses when I ride, so I am seldom able to read that tiny dash clock.

I have a folder full of printed maps that have the distance to be travelled and the time required between my food, gas and rest stops. When I decide on my route for the day, I use Excel to plot the distance, time, and gas consumption between stops and print it. If I am delayed for any reason, I use my old flip top cell phone to check the time when I stop.

I did wear my Casio watch one day. Not much more expensive than a stick on clock, and the battery lasts for years. But as I always wear gloves I was never able read it while riding. Which is a good thing because a few seconds with my eyes off the twisty roads I ride could be disastrous.
 
Thread starter
I agree Nortoon..one cannot take their eyes off of the road for more than just a second or so.. with that honda clock, I find myself taking too long, trying to study the display.. it doesn't take much effort to install a cheap self contained clock, so I will be messing around with the three I have on order.. I don't think they will really satisfy me though.. but the ones I don't use, I will give to my friends.. I will confess, yesterday I ordered another one !! .. it is the smallest LED 12v I could find.. I may need to build an enclosure for it.. lots of work, but I like that kind of stuff
 
Thread starter
velcro is my friend.. the led will be powered on with the ignition.. the battery will keep the time.. they say a battery will last for one year .. that's my plan "A" ..
 
Didn't Ole zip-tie a meat thermometer to his bike instead of hooking up an electric one? I'm just thinking that a large-faced, waterproof, analog watch could be strapped/velcroed on to your bars someplace and would be much easier to read on the fly.
 
Thread starter
two of these cheap clocks come with handlebar mounts.. one clock is black, the other silver.. they ran me about $8. ea..
89228d2af8eb015494a64a4e7d176a10.jpg

this is my LED clock I have on order.. it may be a bit of a challenge to use it.. the back is open, so I will have to address that issue.. I might be lucky enough to find a project box to enclose it.. maybe it will just sit on the shelf.. haha ..
23ae6a1affaa8ffcfeab702440df6af8.jpg
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Didn't Ole zip-tie a meat thermometer to his bike instead of hooking up an electric one? I'm just thinking that a large-faced, waterproof, analog watch could be strapped/velcroed on to your bars someplace and would be much easier to read on the fly.
I did exactly that on another bike once and it worked really well.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Didn't Ole zip-tie a meat thermometer to his bike instead of hooking up an electric one? I'm just thinking that a large-faced, waterproof, analog watch could be strapped/velcroed on to your bars someplace and would be much easier to read on the fly.
I did exactly that on another bike once and it worked really well.
I did exactly that on another bike once and it worked really well.
... plus it doubles as a meat thermometer, for those times when the temperature of meat is required ... right there ... handy on the handlebar. :)
 
Thread starter
another day, another clock .. I can't tell if it will work for me until I take it out on a test ride..(cheap excuse to ride) .. it is getting harder and harder to find a spot to mount stuff..
b528b0a030e2d8a217501b357eaf2330.jpg
917a5326e048197d5eed887ecf5b58ca.jpg
 
That’s a sensible clock.
 
Thread starter
I am not too excited over my new clock.. it is ok at best.. I would have liked to have the face of it aligned with the other gauges, but I had to mount it right on that bend in the bars.. if I would have thought it out better, I would have gone with a clock face that matched the gauges better.. there is plenty of clearance on the tank.. I may even turn the clamp around so the clock face is below the bars.. I still have hopes for the LED clock I have on order.. it will need an enclosure, so yesterday I ordered 2 different sized project boxes to put it in when it comes.. shading the Honda clock wouldn't do much good I'm afraid .. what the Honda clock loves is direct sunlight to be seen the best..
 
Thread starter
I hurt my arm today !! .. (patting myself on the back).. haha .. I went on a little 100 miler today, checking out the new clock.. it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't perfectly aligned.. that drives me crazy, knowing I can do better.. I spent 2 hours riding and having that thing looking at me.. when I got back to my shop, I dug into my pile of RAM mounts.. the RAM is the answer !! .. I had to tap the threads on the base of the clock, easy peasy.. then just mount the beauty..
998774623cd79f8936d6b78ec6efcfb0.jpg
d73387d8d5ff2c279830ee28e99afe0a.jpg
c348c15af4320ac11631645298d786d7.jpg

more pics.
e5d27b706a836bb8e81e602754376373.jpg
[/font
d2a0c227f19009384d0c68f46e1bdead.jpg
 
Looks nice with the green hue...now if only they had maintained the green background for the displays on the '17.
 
Would any of this change if it was said that time is not real? It is just something made up by humans?

- - -

If you removed time, body organs will still weaken, fail and rot. The sun star will rise in the east and set in the west. The CB will still be there, only impaired by affects of weather, sun and oxygen.
 
Is it? While I take your point that time as measured in hours etc is a human construct, there is still likely to be a need for a term to describe the period between the sorts of changed states you refer to. It's akin to the rose by any other name, isn't it?
 
Thread starter
maybe if we ride fast enough, we can slip into another dimension .. go back in time.. and become young again !! .. I think there is some truth in that .. at least I feel younger when I go fast and my juices start to flow..
 
Back
Top