Soft Trunk Bags

WhatYes_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am buying a CB with a rear rack and would like a nice removable trunk bag for trips. Doing a general Google search yielded this:

42L - Challenger XL Leather Wrapped Hard Motorcycle Trunk

I'd love some suggestions from you folks. I currently have a large hardshell removable Givi on my GSX650f, but of course that requires the special Givi mount and I'd prefer to keep the existing generic chrome mount on the bike. 90% of the time I ride WITHOUT a trunk bag.
 
I have a Givi on mine pretty much all the time. If I had that bag, and I like it, and I was only going to use it 10% of the time, I’d just strap it on the rack using those rings.
 
That one looks nice. I really like the SW Motech soft tail bag though. It expands to about the same volume as that one, but contracts to a thinner volume when you don't need the extra space.

c7909930def27b52248b17767ac6f33d.jpg
 
At that rate I would just have a backpack or duffle bag straped to the rear rack. No need for a motorcycle specific bag if you are just gonna use the factory rack. (I have the factory rack also) and I just strap a bag or w.e gear to it. But if you really want a soft tail bag Amazon had plenty of good options for cheaper. Motorcycle Seat Bag Tail Bag - Dual Use Motorcycle Backpack Waterproof Luggage Bags Motorbike Helmet Bag Storage Bags https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCVQXT6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_9N7941G4WQ24P82CD4K1

Kemimoto Motorcycle Dry Bag 50L Motorcycle Luggage Bag Waterproof Motorcycle Duffel Bag With Mounting Straps Motorcycle Gear Bag Tail Bag for Outdoor Motorcycle Trip Touring Cruise Adventure Rainproof https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K6XDSX4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HNEA9TTFTK3VNPB33V1W

Goldfire Expandable Motorcycle Tail Bag Travel Luggage Sissy Bar Bag, Weather Resistant Tail Duffle Bag Motorcycle Gear Backpack with Sissy Bar Straps (Black, Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KP3VPJM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_4712ANVGPS2NVZJAXS9E

I recently drilled 4 holes in a Harbor freight Apache case and now have a nice large waterproof hard box with quick disconnect screws on the inside to take it on and off. I also mounted tie-downs to the top of it so I can strap more gear ontop of the box if needed.

I know you said soft bags but this is another very inexpensive option that isn't a Givi and let's you use your regular factory rack. Its lockable, weather proof, holds more, and you can use however many layers of the foam the box comes with when you need more protection for say a camera or laptop. Or keep all the foam layers out for something like clothes so you have more space and don't need the protection inside.
524cddcf4bb2d0262c01fa0959359644.jpg
61ce46d72367501bf4ed967ba5845a72.jpg
5ef095224302ae48d34fffd25ffc1ad4.jpg
b638f1860b84f6de0c9bd8802adf542c.jpg


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
1911b18b9226d39ad1dc9357fcb944ad.jpg
 
Mvk that's awesome. About to get one of those harbor freight cases for my Honda Trail....it fits perfectly on the rear luggage rack. Never thought of putting one on a cb though.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Mvk that's awesome. About to get one of those harbor freight cases for my Honda Trail....it fits perfectly on the rear luggage rack. Never thought of putting one on a cb though.
Thank you, I was very happy with the size. I had another apache case for drone batteries that were a bit different dimensions and I didnt like how it looked on the bike. I got the idea from browsing the Adventure Rider thread for the homemade panniers. 100 guys with apache cases, ammo cans, all kinds of things.

This one fits much better with more surface area to strap gear down. (I do alot of moto camping and touring with my CB) only other thing I may do is drill some sort of acces hole with a grommet to make it waterproof so I can route a charging cable/unit inside the box to keep gear charging safety while I ride.

I also stuck some black reflective tape on all sides of it. God forbid i crash somewhere dark at night and the underside of my bike is all thats visible I figure the box is a nice big flat area to have alot of reflection from oncoming headlights that may save my life or save me from getting hit. Should help find my campsite at night when I'm walking with a headlamp also and the box reflects back at me.

I was actually thinking about putting together/making the entire kit of harley quick disconnect bolts, washers, rubber washers, reflective tape, etc in a box and shipping it to whoever wants to do the same for their factory rack so its basically ready to be mounted. Not to make any money on just to cover the materials but I figured most guys in this forum do their own work and projects anyways.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I went with a Givi universal mount on my Hondaline rear rack. I can remove and swap or delete the top case as I see fit. I prefer the hard top cases since I can lock things in it. But that is my use case.

The plastic mount does not look all that great compared to a naked rear rack, but it makes it more useful. Push come to shove it's not that hard to remove the plastic mount.
They also make Givi adaptor plates you put on the bottom of your Pelican(or any other HD plastic case) case to adapt to a Give mount. Which is pretty cool if your flush with Pelican style cases.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I went with a Givi universal mount on my Hondaline rear rack. I can remove and swap or delete the top case as I see fit. I prefer the hard top cases since I can lock things in it. But that is my use case.

The plastic mount does not look all that great compared to a naked rear rack, but it makes it more useful. Push come to shove it's not that hard to remove the plastic mount.
They also make Givi adaptor plates you put on the bottom of your Pelican(or any other HD plastic case) case to adapt to a Give mount. Which is pretty cool if your flush with Pelican style cases.
Yea I like being able to lock stuff up also that was a big reason I did the box. Its one thing parked outside your neighborhood coffee shop but touring brings you through some sketchy or just generally unknown places occasionally. I usually have at least my camera and 1 expensive lense with me on any trip beyond my county.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
As I mentioned, I have a Givi top trunk for my GSX and like it, but damned their stuff is insanely expensive!! Just the mounting plate ALONE is something like close to $300 on Revzilla, not to mention the additional cost of the trunk. Yes, the locking feature is nice (and important) as is being able to lock a helmet or two inside.

Man, I miss all the built-in storage on my FJR.
 
WhatYes_imp said:
As I mentioned, I have a Givi top trunk for my GSX and like it, but damned their stuff is insanely expensive!! Just the mounting plate ALONE is something like close to $300 on Revzilla, not to mention the additional cost of the trunk. Yes, the locking feature is nice (and important) as is being able to lock a helmet or two inside.

Man, I miss all the built-in storage on my FJR.
Yea I dont have that kinda cash lol I think the harbor freight box and bolts ended up costing like 50$ to basically have a pelican top case i can remove in an instant

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
WhatYes_imp said:
As I mentioned, I have a Givi top trunk for my GSX and like it, but damned their stuff is insanely expensive!! Just the mounting plate ALONE is something like close to $300 on Revzilla, not to mention the additional cost of the trunk. Yes, the locking feature is nice (and important) as is being able to lock a helmet or two inside.

Man, I miss all the built-in storage on my FJR.
Have I got this wrong? The mounting plate is around AU$90 on ebay or from a [url=https://www.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/givi-e251-nylon-monokey-universal-top-plate.html]Sydney motorcycle shop.

Or US$68 at [url=https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-e251-universal-monokey-top-case-adapter-plate?sku_id=937616]Revzilla.
 
WhatYes_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
WhatYes_imp said:
Even so, at $70, I think I got what I needed. Ordered this from Revzilla today:

Motorcycle Accessories - RevZilla
Nice bag, enjoy!

I reccomend Rok Straps to keep that baby synched down nicely

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I ordered a set with the bag!
I ordered a set with the bag! Awesome! I love them

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Back
Top