Soft luggage options advantages disadvantages

A word of warning. NEVER PUT A TANK BAG DOWN ON THE FLOOR OUTSIDE!

I made this grave mistake when working as an instructor. I took the bag off for whatever reason (have a look at the petrol level?) and where I'd put it (industrial area) the pavement was awash with tiny iron filings. :-/

I saw them before leaving, all sucking onto the magnets, but couldn't sweep them off. Ended up having some scratches on my tank as a result. Couldn't be too precious as students were waiting to be taught.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
A word of warning. NEVER PUT A TANK BAG DOWN ON THE FLOOR OUTSIDE!

I made this grave mistake when working as an instructor. I took the bag off for whatever reason (have a look at the petrol level?) and where I'd put it (industrial area) the pavement was awash with tiny iron filings. :-/

I saw them before leaving, all sucking onto the magnets, but couldn't sweep them off. Ended up having some scratches on my tank as a result. Couldn't be too precious as students were waiting to be taught.
Did the same thing and my CB's tank is scratched as a result. I will get it fixed, but it really sucked because it was only a month or two old.
HikerToo_imp said:
Anyone finding Tank bags that fit our CB very well? My older Ninja one fits OK but uses 4 straps with metal clips on the end that go around the tanks bottom edge, kijnda works, but seems like magnet style are the way to go now.
I saw this small ( 8"x15"4.5") but am thinking the magnets would not folder over the edge of our tank like it needs to...
http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/251/393/Luggage/Hammerhead_Tank_Bag_

or this

http://www.tbags.com/tank-n-tail-bag.html
I bought the Icon Urban tankbag/backpack for my wife's bike, then she went out and bought a new bike with a plastic tank so I use it on my CB. Works great, but get some 3m film down on the magnet contact points to avoid scratches.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
A word of warning. NEVER PUT A TANK BAG DOWN ON THE FLOOR OUTSIDE!

I made this grave mistake when working as an instructor. I took the bag off for whatever reason (have a look at the petrol level?) and where I'd put it (industrial area) the pavement was awash with tiny iron filings. :-/

I saw them before leaving, all sucking onto the magnets, but couldn't sweep them off. Ended up having some scratches on my tank as a result. Couldn't be too precious as students were waiting to be taught.
I did something similar with the magnetic tank bag on my CBX.
I had put the bag on my work bench and did not realize all the filings etc. on the bench.
I put it on the tank and coming back from a ride and taking it of I found the tiny scratches on my tank.
NEVER used a magnetic tank bag again.
 
Thread starter
I have used magnetic tank bags for dozens of years. Always careful where I sit them, and always brush off the bottom before sitting them on my tank. No issues.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have used magnetic tank bags for dozens of years. Always careful where I sit them, and always brush off the bottom before sitting them on my tank. No issues.
Same here. The bag I use now is a Triumph brand that I had for my Tiger. Never a scratch in 5 years use on the Triumph and none thus far on the CB. Knock on wood!
 
I wish Bagster or one of the other manufacturers who make the "locking ring" setup for tank bags would tackle the CB. But with our "flip-top" gas cap, it seems almost impossible. It would be so nice to be able to buy in to the powered, no-contact bags that are available now.

On a related note, I emailed Givi asking if Honda's announcement that they'd have not one, but TWO new models of the CB for '14 was impetus enough for them to produce a side-rack to fit their Monokey/Monolock range of luggage. Their 34 liter Monokey side case would look awesome on the CB if properly racked. With an AdMore Lighting LED kit installed for stop/tail/turn signals, you could delete the OEM signals.
 
Thread starter
Spaceman, the Givi bags will fit the CB with SW Mototech or something like that brackets. Sporttour here in Cinti told me about it weeks ago and I reported it here.

March 10 ride

You might try emailing or calling Glen for up to date info.
 
Nelson Rigg SPRT40 saddlebags

Small enough to fit in front of the turn signals. Not a bad option for 1-up riding.

The box is the Givi E26 I've mentioned in other posts.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
lagoje_imp said:
Nelson Rigg SPRT40 saddlebags

Small enough to fit in front of the turn signals. Not a bad option for 1-up riding.

The box is the Givi E26 I've mentioned in other posts.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a great setup. I don't use luggage on a regular basis, but it's a must have for road trips.

I have the Nelson Rigg Spirit 50s (bought for my CB750) and they don't fit very well at all. The rear signals are in the way. If I can't find a good (and relatively inexpensive) gadget to relocate the signals, I might have to spring for the Spirit 40s. Thanks for the pics!
 
Lagoje: bags look nice. Did you have to buy the bar that hangs down? Do they just mount with strap under seat? If so do they flop around any at speed?
Thanks Michael
 
lagoje_imp said:
Nelson Rigg SPRT40 saddlebags

Small enough to fit in front of the turn signals. Not a bad option for 1-up riding.

The box is the Givi E26 I've mentioned in other posts.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are the best looking saddles i have seen. Not to big with no relocation needed:thumbsup:
 
Please comment on passenger access to passenger footpegs...Seems tight...?
Nelson Rigg SPRT40 saddlebags

Small enough to fit in front of the turn signals. Not a bad option for 1-up riding.

The box is the Givi E26 I've mentioned in other posts.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
 
Thread starter
andre..generally SPEAKING ANY SADDLEBAG THAT CAN FIT IN FRONT OF THE TURN SIGNALS IN THEIR STOCK LOCATION WILL PROBABLY PREVENT A PASSENGER FROM USING THEIR PEGS. (sorry about the caps accidentally hti cap lock and I'm not typing it all over again)
 
re the caps. I thought you were just emphatically making a point until you ratted yourself out :)
 
Thread starter
Nah.. Sometimes I type a bunch without looking up. tHen I look up and see somewhere along the line instead of capitalizing one letter, I hit Cap lock, And the whole dang sentece or 1/2 a paragraph is in caps lol
 
Respectfully submitted: CAPS are certainly easier for reading for some of us who have not only older eyes... but were weak eyes to begin with...(may I use an exclamation point w/o offending?)!... so, CAPS are appreciated, personally...exactly when did all CAPS become conventionally SHOUTING OBNOXIOUSLY?... this inquiring mind mildly is curious...
 
Thread starter
Lol..not sure silverbub. Certainly been inyernet ettiquette as long as I have been online. At least 15 years.

Never bothered me to see someone type in all caps. I have old eyes too, but some people get absolutely torqued out of shape about it.
 
Interesting how you folks are doing it. Right now I'm flailing...my old standby was a Bags Connect tailbag. Thing was/is good-sized, although it's towards the end of its life...holds about half of what you need for a weekend trip. When I had my Burgman 650, the tailbag would go on the pillion seat; and the overflow luggage go in the underseat luggage area. Worked well. Longer trips, I'd tie a duffle crosswise on the pillion like a dead body on a horse; and again, worked successfully. Especially if I had the tent inside the duffle; the poles of the tent kit would make the duffle rigid crosswise.

On the BMW R1100RT, I had hard panniers, and the tailbag gave me enough with the panniers. Very professional.

But now, the Bags Connect tailbag, used on the CB...it has droops on both sides of the seat or rack or fender; and those obscure the CB's turn signals. I have a plan to modify them, but that is going to wait.

Saddlebags, likewise. I need to move those turn signals; and I haven't seen a kit or gotten any idea from my Honda guy that I like.

BUT, in the interim, I'm using ANOTHER duffle, this one a little shorter and broader...a six-gallon milk crate just fit inside. I put brackets, hard brackets, on it through the milk crate. Strap it on the rack; and although it looks a bit Beverly Hillbillies, it works just fine.

Never had a tank bag. The idea of scratching that paint up, just doesn't appeal to me; and as noted, it's in the way on fuel stops. It works for a lot of folks; but I generally have a small grip on top of the big duffle in the back - where I keep maps and rain gear and other need-it-quick stuff.
 
I tried to copy Ferret when I purchased my soft bags...best, cheapest thing I've bought for my CB. Thanks Ferret!

The only negative it trying to throw my leg over that tailbag ;-)

If I could get enough support to that that tailbag to actually be a back rest / support, it would be perfect!

 
Back
Top