So. Does the "one bike does all" holy grail exist? What would your pick be?

Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I care. I like hearing opinions from experienced riders.

Romo, I don't know if you are just trying to stir things up, but I am asking you again to play nice.
No problem ferret. But your comments seem self satisfying to me rather than honest. In my opinion. Nothing harsh meant.
All people. Even the ferrett have an ego to protect at times.
I gave up on ego years ago. Only facts matter to me. And I bet facts matter to most on this forum.
Hopes
And dreams can be found on other sites and forums.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've never ridden a Mutistrada, so if someone with experience says such nice things about it, it might be worth looking at some day. Same with the Blackbird. Like to try one of those. Owners and previous owners seem very fond of them. Those are facts as I see them.

Yes I have an ego, yes it is a weakness, but I try not to bolster it by putting down others, or trampling on their feelings.
 
Jeez Romo, didn't get your coffee this morning? Or perhaps some other reason for hovering over us like a black cloud? Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
 
Thread starter
Sorry Guth. Get irritated with passive attitudes not based in reality.
Also. Hmm. Maybe more coffee. Good idea. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If it's irritating you, then maybe take a break from it for a day. It's only an Internet forum after all. Today just seems a bit uncharacteristic for you.
 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Like some of you I've owned dozens of bikes and own 10 or 11 right now. I could without a doubt live with just one bike to do it all and it does it all better than anything I've ever experienced.
My 2nd gen 1200 Ducati Multistrada...

It's fast,160 HP, handles like a sportbike, its as comfortable as a tourer - even two up, nimble around town, and gets 42 - 44 mpg. You can load it with gear for a month or take it to the track and embarrass gixers. And, it doesn't do too bad off road.
With a set TKC's it'll do anything a GS will do. I've had it a mile deep in the Utah canyon lands and atop a 14,000 ft mountain at Pikes Peak and mount Evans. I jump on it for a quick errand into town and spend the next week on a 1500 mile adventure.

The multi won the pikes peak hill climb 3 years in a row and set new records each consecutive year and it's been used to tour around the world.

Yep, I love my collection of bikes but I truly could live with just the Multistrada its a real "do anything" bike

e2b213bd89c66f3cca6948e0dd236644.jpg


39d8cc311438b3602b5bebb8b6121d05.jpg


a0c16f662aed3660b7cba23195a5add4.jpg


ea64e702f1e0ab7527c866fb54b92626.jpg


a56a71ee35c48163b9785cb99829cdae.jpg
I agree, this would definitely be on the shorter list, although the computer won't let us use all that power.:D
 
howlindaug_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I have only one bike, the CB1100 and I can't afford any others. So, for the moment at least, it has to be my Swiss Army Pocketknife of a bike.
+1 Cormanus, my sentiments exactly. Can't afford more than one. Does what I need and looks good doing it.

BTW, I recently changed cable providers and I sure am missing Australian rules football. Finally starting to understand it. Now, if I could just understand cricket...
+1 Cormanus, my sentiments exactly. Can't afford more than one. Does what I need and looks good doing it.

BTW, I recently changed cable providers and I sure am missing Australian rules football. Finally starting to understand it. Now, if I could just understand cricket...
Australian Rules can be a great spectator sport and is physically really demanding. I'm sorry you're being denied it, although large chunks of Australia won't have anything to do with it preferring various forms of rugby.

There was some commentary in another thread today about baseball being less interesting than watching paint dry. Many say the same about cricket. I know Pteradactyl's a fan and IndianRider is threatening to visit Australia next year for the Cricket World Cup. I'm no expert, but I'm sure that between us we could offer guidance.

For those who loathe it, there's a fantastic passage in Bill Bryson's book on Australia ridiculing the game of cricket. It's very funny. Well, I think so anyway.
 
A "One bike does it all"?
No. I had a Road Star 1600 and a Beemer K75 when the CB came along and I fell in lust. I sold the Beemer (two hours on Craig's List, at that point I HAD to buy) and traded the Roadie. I love the CB but I am already plotting and scheming on how to acquire another big twin Roadie.
Plus, I'd really like a Moto Guzzi V7 since I had a chance to ride one.
Really stresses me now that I have the garage space but the wife "just doesn't understand me...":dodgy:
 
If I had to downsize to only one it would be a Concours 14. Yes, it's a little on the heavy side, but it has shaft drive, it's fast, has plenty of power, great wind protection, handles like a big sportbike and there's plenty of storage. :banana:
 
For me a one would do it might be the CTX700 might even go for the dual clutch version.

I am 67 and I have to consider what I can continue to ride comfortably. I am going to actively thin the herd this spring. Not sure at this point what I'll keep but the heavy stuff is all going to go.

Lots of fellows my age go to trikes and I've decided when I can't continue on two wheels I'll go to 4 not three (sports car). Not to say that a trike is wrong for others.
 
Bubbler..I watched that as my dad got older. In his youth he rode Indians, then Harleys. As he got older he got rid of the heavy Harleys and dropped down to a 350 Yamaha, a 350 Honda 4, then dropped down to a CB200, then a CB 175 and I believe his last and smallest bike was a Ducati 125 single. I think dad was in his mid 70s at that point. I always wondered if I would follow the same path. My older brother (he's 75) still rides a Sportster having dropped down from a Goldwing. At 64 in May I am still riding the heavy bikes, the ST 1300 and my " little" CB 1100, and my younger brother (62) has dropped down from Goldwings to a FZ 1000 and a Triumph Bonneville.

I too have no interest in riding a trike at this point, but could see myself riding a Yamaha 250-400 scooter.
 
The Vespa will probably be a keeper. It's just such a pretty machine and the only reason I would sell it would be if I got the CTX700 I probably wouldn't ride it. The Vespa is probably worth $5500 which would go along way towards buying the CTX700 and the 700 would be at least OK for a quick run on the interstate where the Vespa would not.

Not sure what I'll do. It's not just age. If I could drop some weight I'd be in much better shape to ride.

HOWEVER a fellow needs to know when it's time and I've aged over the last couple years. Age does not affect you in a straight line linear way. You take a step down then go awhile and then another step down. I am sure you fellows over 60 understand. Some times you take a BIG step and we all hope not to have that happen.

Anyone seeing anything on my list of cycles who has an interest let me know. I certainly can part with a couple of them with out suffering.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Bubbler..I watched that as my dad got older. In his youth he rode Indians, then Harleys. As he got older he got rid of the heavy Harleys and dropped down to a 350 Yamaha, a 350 Honda 4, then dropped down to a CB200, then a CB 175 and I believe his last and smallest bike was a Ducati 125 single. I think dad was in his mid 70s at that point. I always wondered if I would follow the same path. My older brother (he's 75) still rides a Sportster having dropped down from a Goldwing. At 64 in May I am still riding the heavy bikes, the ST 1300 and my " little" CB 1100, and my younger brother (62) has dropped down from Goldwings to a FZ 1000 and a Triumph Bonneville.

I too have no interest in riding a trike at this point, but could see myself riding a Yamaha 250-400 scooter.
heck ferret, I am only 56 and this lil bugger puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up :D

9ee9ee51e273d6adf2e1fc1762b5f293.jpg


it's my work commuter bike
that's what I tell everyone anyway,,,,,,
 
All I know is my (traded in) Elite 110 was a hoot to ride. LOTS of fun! Kinda wish I'd kept it.

Now though I want ferret's ST1300. The CB needs company!
 
I think the Super Tenere makes a strong case for doing it all. Let's see, off-road, highway one or two-up, handles interstate duty like a sport tourer, agile in the twisties, easy handling in town running errands, carries cargo like a packmule. Stream crossings if you're so inclined. Shaft drive and 26k mile valve inspections. A reliable, more affordable GS. Yeah, I'm a fan. Only real drawback is it helps to be taller than 5'8" if you own one.



[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/179301_zpseca4df5f.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/IMG_9583_zps0279affa.jpg.html]
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
I have heard nothing but good about the vfr 800.
I have heard bad. VTEC bad, comes on hard suddenly like a turbocharger mid-corner. New one is supposed to be better, and a little lighter. I had four of the earlier VF and VFRs and they were great. Once it became an 800 touring bike I crossed it off my list and never owned another Honda V4. It used to be a sport/racebike but morphed into a touring bike.
ride4now_imp said:
The KLR crowd might suggest that their bike might be the one. As an
owner, I'd have to disagree. The big single just can't cut it on the hwy.
I've never owned a BMW GS1200 Adventure, but I've read about them,
seen them in movies, and have a friend who owns one. I bet that
bike would be the 'one ' you'd want for the one bike garage.
Agree, have owned a few KLRs. Too anemic to really take on a long ride with any authority in traffic, not bad on a fire road, suspension sucks. F700GS, well, no comparison at all. The 1200 is heavy, very heavy.
DAC_imp said:
Do everything bikes exist. They're just not that exciting. The NT700 and NC700X are good examples. Very capable bikes that are flexible, just no "personality."
Problem with those bikes is they really have low-grade suspension and brakes. Not much in the way of motor either. They are commuter bikes or for entry or near-entry level riders.

One bike that can do it all MUST have excellent suspension and brakes and a good, flexible engine with a broad, usable power band.

Do it all bike, needs 80-120 HP at the rear wheel. Should be between 450-550 pounds, with high-quality, adjustable suspension for preload, compression, and rebound damping at both ends. Riding position should be reasonable. Fuel tank capacity range should be around 175-200 miles to fumes. Some adventure bikes fit the bill (F700/800GS), some naked bikes as well (CB1000, R Nine T, and FZ8 come to mind), some sport-tourers even (VFR800).
I have heard bad. VTEC bad, comes on hard suddenly like a turbocharger mid-corner. New one is supposed to be better, and a little lighter. I had four of the earlier VF and VFRs and they were great. Once it became an 800 touring bike I crossed it off my list and never owned another Honda V4. It used to be a sport/racebike but morphed into a touring bike.
ride4now_imp said:
The KLR crowd might suggest that their bike might be the one. As an
owner, I'd have to disagree. The big single just can't cut it on the hwy.
I've never owned a BMW GS1200 Adventure, but I've read about them,
seen them in movies, and have a friend who owns one. I bet that
bike would be the 'one ' you'd want for the one bike garage.
Agree, have owned a few KLRs. Too anemic to really take on a long ride with any authority in traffic, not bad on a fire road, suspension sucks. F700GS, well, no comparison at all. The 1200 is heavy, very heavy.
DAC_imp said:
Do everything bikes exist. They're just not that exciting. The NT700 and NC700X are good examples. Very capable bikes that are flexible, just no "personality."
Problem with those bikes is they really have low-grade suspension and brakes. Not much in the way of motor either. They are commuter bikes or for entry or near-entry level riders.

One bike that can do it all MUST have excellent suspension and brakes and a good, flexible engine with a broad, usable power band.

Do it all bike, needs 80-120 HP at the rear wheel. Should be between 450-550 pounds, with high-quality, adjustable suspension for preload, compression, and rebound damping at both ends. Riding position should be reasonable. Fuel tank capacity range should be around 175-200 miles to fumes. Some adventure bikes fit the bill (F700/800GS), some naked bikes as well (CB1000, R Nine T, and FZ8 come to mind), some sport-tourers even (VFR800). I agree with you about the VTEC engine, and I would never own one. The early VFR800s do not have VTEC. Also, the early 800s have gear-driven cams (the VTEC engines have chain-driven cams) which makes adjusting the valves so much easier - just unbolt the cam covers and lift the cams out.
 
Thread starter
mininsx_imp said:
If I had to downsize to only one it would be a Concours 14. Yes, it's a little on the heavy side, but it has shaft drive, it's fast, has plenty of power, great wind protection, handles like a big sportbike and there's plenty of storage. :banana:
Amazing bike by the way. Hmm. I forgot about the concourse


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buffalorider_imp said:
A "One bike does it all"?
No. I had a Road Star 1600 and a Beemer K75 when the CB came along and I fell in lust. I sold the Beemer (two hours on Craig's List, at that point I HAD to buy) and traded the Roadie. I love the CB but I am already plotting and scheming on how to acquire another big twin Roadie.
Plus, I'd really like a Moto Guzzi V7 since I had a chance to ride one.
Really stresses me now that I have the garage space but the wife "just doesn't understand me...":dodgy:
I like this guys style.
"Already plotting"
Now that's my kind of thought process. Heck. After hearing some comments hear I was after a 25th anniversary vfr. Love the look.
Some interesting suggestions on bikes have come up.
Sadly I'm weak and this input is likely to cause me money. And worse than that, the spousal pain that comes with.

Here we go again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top