Smooth Power Everywhere II

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I didn't want to hijack Vic's great thread so I started another.

I also added a PCV to my bike.

I'm running the stock MAP on the Power Commander. No auto tune.

Idle is 1100 rpm. Just like Vic's bike, no hesitation, no jerky response, smooth accel from low revs right up to redline. And the bike has had a few performance mods - TSR air funnel, K&N filter, MotoGear headers and Staintune. Pretty darn amazing.

The only thing different I've noticed, besides wrist bending performance when the throttle is exercised, is an occasional single mild pop between gears when upshifting at a leisurely pace. Any idea what's causes this - besides the fact that the PCV is running a stock MAP? Lean, rich?

Other than that, it's the same well mannered power plant, comfortable cruising around at 2500 rpm in 5th gear with plenty of power going up hills.

24d38e41a50c4112bf5972e585027299.jpg
 
On carburetor vehicles that I've owned, popping on engine deceleration was always due to a lean condition and fixed by fattening up a little.
 
Any chance of getting your bike dyno'd? I'd love to hear how much power you're getting from those mods. I bet its close to 100 hp at the rear wheel.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
stop this.....I am falling behind...I have the PCV, but am still thinking on those headers...are they too loud as compared to Staintune only?
Is this the header you have?
http://www.samurider.com/?p=15371
Hiker,

Yes - those are the headers.

I followed HondaJon's lead on these:

Motogear Titanium Header and TSR Air Funnel

I got the regular headers, not the polished ones. So far they still show the neat rainbow colors.

Sound wise, they are a little louder than a Staintune with stock headers. With Staintune/stock headers, wind noise above 50 mph pretty much drowns out the exhaust. With the MotoGear headers, that doesn't happen. However it's still relatively tame and there's no tiresome loud drone.

However if you stomp on it, the bike sounds awesome. I just wouldn't want to run it hard near a lot of people. Passing a group of Harley riders is a different matter. :D
 
I changed to full exhaust no cat and the pop crackle was excessive, did the pcv and auotune. Plugged pair vavle and it rarely happens now
Some others on forum had pop after pcv added.
Did you plug the pair valve?
Here's a link that helped me. W it
PAIR Valve Mod
 
Dakota_imp said:
On carburetor vehicles that I've owned, popping on engine deceleration was always due to a lean condition and fixed by fattening up a little.
This popping can also be caused by an exhaust "leak" in that on deceleration a low pressure in the headers will cause air (oxygen) to be sucked in through the gap/hole and then re-ignition can occur in the headers. This can occur at lean or rich mixture settings. CB4me, are your new headers perfectly sealed?

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
On carburetor vehicles that I've owned, popping on engine deceleration was always due to a lean condition and fixed by fattening up a little.
This popping can also be caused by an exhaust "leak" in that on deceleration a low pressure in the headers will cause air (oxygen) to be sucked in through the gap/hole and then re-ignition can occur in the headers. This can occur at lean or rich mixture settings. CB4me, are your new headers perfectly sealed?

Cheers
I'm pretty sure the headers are sealed. The old gaskets seemed to provide an excellent seal and were difficult to remove. I could feel the new gaskets (hollow copper colored rings) making the seal when I tightened the nuts.

Speaking of which, several members have reported finding the header nuts loose on their stock bikes. A couple of mine were barely more than finger tight.

I'm going to recheck everything before today's ride. The popping sounds like its coming from inside the exhaust but it's very infrequent and very mild.

I'll have to look around for a dyno shop between Baltimore and York PA when I save up some money. Just maxed out my credit on a new driveway.
 
My bet would be on a lean condtion. Did your fuel mileage change with these mods? Do you have a way to check your tempetures at the head? Why not let the PCV learn and see if it can correct the issue? Can't you go back to the stock map if it gets worse?
 
I am gambling on all the positive comments I have seen here and in other posts about the PCV on the CB1100. Just purchased a PCV from Motomummy. I am running an Arrow slip on and K&N. Will report my impressions once I receive the PCV and get it installed. Honestly, this bike has plenty of get up and go and runs beautifully but in my humble opinion is a bit flat in the mid range. Hoping the PCV will improve on that. Thanks for the pot CB4ME.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl nailed it. I rechecked the nuts on my exhaust headers, found a couple on the loose side and retightened all four pipes.

I did a 40 mile ride and all was well. No pops whatsoever.

Had a few opportunities to nail it and the bike gets very serious above 6500 rpm. Hang on!

The engine is doing everything it's asked and then some. Lopping along at 2000 rpm in 5th gear and it goes right up and over some decent hills without bogging down.

The stock PCV map is handling the modification awesomely. Thanks for everyone's help as always. Supercruz - as Vic said in his thread, you can' t go wrong with a PCV.

Obligatory picture taken today at a local golf course.

f4af183a49e13ef9ffb11b8fd63b93ab.jpg
 
Thread starter
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
Lets say you decide to remove the PCV and go back to stock tune and setup. What is the procedure?
I would hope the stock ECU recognizes the changes.

Yesterday I rode the pants off the bike and again encountered popping in the exhaust, but only when lifting off the gas when shifting from 1st to second at redline.

My son-in-law is going to find out who dyno tunes his buddies bikes. It may be a while (I just spent 6 figures on a driveway) but I'll eventually post some results.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
Lets say you decide to remove the PCV and go back to stock tune and setup. What is the procedure?
I would hope the stock ECU recognizes the changes.

Yesterday I rode the pants off the bike and again encountered popping in the exhaust, but only when lifting off the gas when shifting from 1st to second at redline.

My son-in-law is going to find out who dyno tunes his buddies bikes. It may be a while (I just spent 6 figures on a driveway) but I'll eventually post some results.

Yea, but most of them were zeros weren't they?

( you will love a solid driveway!)
 
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
Lets say you decide to remove the PCV and go back to stock tune and setup. What is the procedure?
Simple as pie. Just unplug the PCV and restore the wiring to original, and reinstall all original components.

The PCV stores nothing in the ECU memory. That would be the thing about an ECU flash, it's going to require another reflash to put the thing back to stock settings if you wanted to do that.
 
Installed my PCV last night. Two hardest parts were removing the fuel line from the tank and routing the PCV wire harness through the frame. Finally figured out how to just squeak the plugs by the frame tube down low on the left side and then run up by the tank. Everything fits very nice and neat the the PCV is a solid and well built piece in my opinion. Plugs and wiring are first rate. PCV fits very nicely into the cubby holder behind the tank. Still have room for my tools and rags.

Bikes fired right up and ran smoothly. I rode the bike to work today and put about 50 miles on in mixed heavy traffic and highway speed use. Bike idles at just a bit over 1,000 RPM warm (say 1050). Just off idle in slow stop and go is very smooth. Bike has very smooth throttle in all gears and pulls like a freight train from say 50 - 90mph+. I nailed it at coming home for lunch today and the bike is very fast. I am running an Arrow slip on muffler and a K&N filter. No other mods. There is a slight bit of popping on decal but attribute that to the air injection. Have not decided to close that off yet.

I think with the slip on and filter, the PCV has met my expectations. Would I put it on a stock bike? Not sure. My bike ran so well in stock form. I had nothing to complaint about.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
I didn't want to hijack Vic's great thread so I started another.

I also added a PCV to my bike.

I'm running the stock MAP on the Power Commander. No auto tune.

Idle is 1100 rpm. Just like Vic's bike, no hesitation, no jerky response, smooth accel from low revs right up to redline. And the bike has had a few performance mods - TSR air funnel, K&N filter, MotoGear headers and Staintune. Pretty darn amazing.

The only thing different I've noticed, besides wrist bending performance when the throttle is exercised, is an occasional single mild pop between gears when upshifting at a leisurely pace. Any idea what's causes this - besides the fact that the PCV is running a stock MAP? Lean, rich?

Other than that, it's the same well mannered power plant, comfortable cruising around at 2500 rpm in 5th gear with plenty of power going up hills.

24d38e41a50c4112bf5972e585027299.jpg
Hi CB4ME, great-looking bike! I'm waiting to accept delivery on my 2014 Deluxe, but I would like to ask you about your fairing, and luggage-rack / sissy bar because these are two options I intend to install on my bike. What brand of fairing is this? Is that a Honda rack that you modified by attaching the sissy bar to like was shown in a different thread in this forum? Do you have the sissy bar because of a passenger? If yes, can you please comment on your passenger's comfort while riding with you? Thank you.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
I didn't want to hijack Vic's great thread so I started another.

I also added a PCV to my bike.

I'm running the stock MAP on the Power Commander. No auto tune.

Idle is 1100 rpm. Just like Vic's bike, no hesitation, no jerky response, smooth accel from low revs right up to redline. And the bike has had a few performance mods - TSR air funnel, K&N filter, MotoGear headers and Staintune. Pretty darn amazing.

The only thing different I've noticed, besides wrist bending performance when the throttle is exercised, is an occasional single mild pop between gears when upshifting at a leisurely pace. Any idea what's causes this - besides the fact that the PCV is running a stock MAP? Lean, rich?

Other than that, it's the same well mannered power plant, comfortable cruising around at 2500 rpm in 5th gear with plenty of power going up hills.

24d38e41a50c4112bf5972e585027299.jpg
Hi CB4ME, great-looking bike! I'm waiting to accept delivery on my 2014 Deluxe, but I would like to ask you about your fairing, and luggage-rack / sissy bar because these are two options I intend to install on my bike. What brand of fairing is this? Is that a Honda rack that you modified by attaching the sissy bar to like was shown in a different thread in this forum? Do you have the sissy bar because of a passenger? If yes, can you please comment on your passenger's comfort while riding with you? Thank you.
Dave - congratulations on your 2014 Dlx. I'd love to see one with a fairing.

The fairing is a Chic Design Road Comet I made for the 2013 model. Chic Design also has the Road Comet II which is a bit more angular. They are offered unpainted, painted - and for a premium - painted with stripes.

I got mine from Samurider. Takashi, the owner, said Chic Design is offering these fairings for the 2014, modified to acccomodate the higher headlight position and to match the slightly deeper red color.

I have a 2013 Honda rear carrier. The 2014 Dlx needs the newer 2014 carrier (23,000 yen on Samurider).

a78efe6c47726625e86bffbb1a526d20.jpg


I added a Jardine mini backrest to the rear carrier for my wife. She's uncomfortable without it. The Jardine should fit inside the rear carrier and there seems to be plenty flat surface to drill a couple holes in it. You'll need to fabricate a mounting plate to connect the carrier to the sissy bar. The Jardine uses 10mm mounting bolts.

5184b19eb01e7718407bd9e5df53e247.jpg


The rear carrier and sissy bar may detract from the clean lines on the CB1100, but the backrest provides for passenger comfort and safety, and the rack lets us carry a small roll bag.
 
Back
Top