Smoking while riding...

ThomWill_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Here in North-Central GA it is certainly possible to ride year round but once things get warm there are a large number of folks who ride around dressed like pirates (we also have Power Rangers year round).

Over the last couple of days I have seen several of these folks smoking while riding, including one dude with HUGE ape hangers with a cigarette wedge in the corner of his mouth and it got me thinking about the whole concept. I quit smoking 20+ years ago and am not vehemently anti-smoking for others, but doesn't the increased wind flow just make them expensive little buggers just burn up right quick? Does one not get ashes in the eyes?
 
As a non smoker I don't understand the habit at all, but I have seen people so addicted they light one off another and never not have one in their mouth, or several going at once indifferent rooms.

My wifes mom had lung cancer from smoking, and was on oxygen, but would turn it off to smoke, then turn it back on again to breath. Couldn't avoid the inevitable though.

Must be a powerful addiction.

I would think wind would certainly accelerate the burning process like a billows in a fire place
 
ThomWill_imp said:
Here in North-Central GA it is certainly possible to ride year round but once things get warm there are a large number of folks who ride around dressed like pirates (we also have Power Rangers year round).

Over the last couple of days I have seen several of these folks smoking while riding, including one dude with HUGE ape hangers with a cigarette wedge in the corner of his mouth and it got me thinking about the whole concept. I quit smoking 20+ years ago and am not vehemently anti-smoking for others, but doesn't the increased wind flow just make them expensive little buggers just burn up right quick? Does one not get ashes in the eyes?
The answers are "yes" and "yes". In the 80s I used to ride with a guy that couldn't go 1/2 hr. without a smoke. It was hilarious watching this guy going down the highway wearing a full face helmet with the visor open and a lit cigarette angled out. The cigarette would last less than two minutes and he was constantly rubbing ash from his eyes. A couple times the wind blew the hot end off, which usually dropped through the helmet into his jacket. It was often a rolling comedy show.

I suppose if you were wearing no helmet and were sitting behind a giant windshield it might work better. I think nicotine gum would probably be the best alternative.
 
At one point, I thought it might be cool to smoke a cigar while I rode. For the reasons stated above, I decided it was impractical. I do occasionally have a cigar as part of a rest break and once in a great while, I ride to this state park in Wisconsin just to sit at a particular table and enjoy my smoke and the forest surrounding. (a little off topic, but...)
 
My dad purposely bought a 3/4 helmet so he could easily light a smoke at 65mph, lift the visor to smoke and keep the ashes from his eyes. He was tickled pink when he discovered this wonderful process at his finger tips. No pun.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
 
The BEST thing I EVER did in my life was NEVER to smoke.
My wife is an oncology nurse and has seen many people die with lung cancer, no one ever said : " I am happy that I smoked" they all say : "I wish that I never started to smoke"
 
ThomWill_imp said:
Here in North-Central GA it is certainly possible to ride year round but once things get warm there are a large number of folks who ride around dressed like pirates (we also have Power Rangers year round).

Over the last couple of days I have seen several of these folks smoking while riding, including one dude with HUGE ape hangers with a cigarette wedge in the corner of his mouth and it got me thinking about the whole concept. I quit smoking 20+ years ago and am not vehemently anti-smoking for others, but doesn't the increased wind flow just make them expensive little buggers just burn up right quick? Does one not get ashes in the eyes?
You're making an assumption that he's smoking for the enjoyment/habit.

It could be the cigarette is just another accessory to his motorcycle bad a$$ costume.
 
thumper_imp said:
ThomWill_imp said:
Here in North-Central GA it is certainly possible to ride year round but once things get warm there are a large number of folks who ride around dressed like pirates (we also have Power Rangers year round).

Over the last couple of days I have seen several of these folks smoking while riding, including one dude with HUGE ape hangers with a cigarette wedge in the corner of his mouth and it got me thinking about the whole concept. I quit smoking 20+ years ago and am not vehemently anti-smoking for others, but doesn't the increased wind flow just make them expensive little buggers just burn up right quick? Does one not get ashes in the eyes?
You're making an assumption that he's smoking for the enjoyment/habit.

It could be the cigarette is just another accessory to his motorcycle bad a$$ costume.
Round here a cigarette is an essential part of the b/a pirate costume. Unfiltered Camels bring bonus points.
 
The summer of my last year in High School I worked at a big metal fabrication shop. One of the welders rode too, so we hung out at lunch break. He actually glued a pill bottle to the snap-on face screen on his helmet so he could put cigs and joints in there and smoke 'em while riding. That's dedication...
 
I'm a non-smoker, and have never smoked, but I often see guys on bikes with a smoke in their lips and wonder how they manage that in the wind :huh:
It's obviously a terrible addiction to have considering how hard it is to quit - not only that, but the damage to your health.
Thankfully, I've never had to go through that and never will.
 
In my humble opinion smokers are losers:

They loose their money,
They loose their looks,
They loose their health.

How much more of a loser can you be ?

My dad died of lung cancer 3 weeks before he was 65 .

If I offended some one, just think about the above, it might just save your life.
 
When I first rode I was a smoker and would occasionally smoke while riding. They disappeared very fast and carried the risk as noted above of blowing ash in your face and eyes.

I gave it up nearly 15 years ago.

King James I of England, who was on the throne when Walter Raleigh brought tobacco to the UK from the Americas wrote of smoking in 1604,

"A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs, and in the black, stinking fume thereof, nearest resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless."
 
Really he wrote that in 1604? How insightful and accurate.
 
I thought this was a thread about smoking while riding, not about the evils of smoking. Next, we will start to see folks using "Seat Time" to discuss how we should quit riding.
 
good idea for a topic ES. Think I will start a thread.
 
Houtman_imp said:
In my humble opinion smokers are losers:

They loose their money,
They loose their looks,
They loose their health.

How much more of a loser can you be ?

My dad died of lung cancer 3 weeks before he was 65 .

If I offended some one, just think about the above, it might just save your life.
Other people would say the same thing about eating red meat, drinking alcohol, not exercising, etc. We're all imperfect. (No, I don't smoke).
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
In my humble opinion smokers are losers:

They loose their money,
They loose their looks,
They loose their health.

How much more of a loser can you be ?

My dad died of lung cancer 3 weeks before he was 65 .

If I offended some one, just think about the above, it might just save your life.
Other people would say the same thing about eating red meat, drinking alcohol, not exercising, etc. We're all imperfect. (No, I don't smoke).
and riding murder cycles lol
 
Back
Top