Smaller blinkers

Oboro_imp said:
Any swap out their blinkers for something less....freakin gigantic?
Smaller maybe more eye appealing when parked... But in my opinion, I would rather have the larger turn signals seen by the cagers than them not seeing the latest low profile tiny blinkers.

I was behind a crotch rocket with those new smaller blinkers and he put one on and I could not see it until I was along side. They were to small and not noticeable.

But it is your choice I just want to point out that there is some good about having those stock blinkers...

I have even been looking at one of those new tail light flasher add ons that flash three or five times when you apply the brake before going to a solid light to catch those cagers attentions...



Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
 
dBuster_imp said:
Oboro_imp said:
Any swap out their blinkers for something less....freakin gigantic?
Smaller maybe more eye appealing when parked... But in my opinion, I would rather have the larger turn signals seen by the cagers than them not seeing the latest low profile tiny blinkers.

I was behind a crotch rocket with those new smaller blinkers and he put one on and I could not see it until I was along side. They were to small and not noticeable.

But it is your choice I just want to point out that there is some good about having those stock blinkers...

I have even been looking at one of those new tail light flasher add ons that flash three or five times when you apply the brake before going to a solid light to catch those cagers attentions...



Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Smaller maybe more eye appealing when parked... But in my opinion, I would rather have the larger turn signals seen by the cagers than them not seeing the latest low profile tiny blinkers.

I was behind a crotch rocket with those new smaller blinkers and he put one on and I could not see it until I was along side. They were to small and not noticeable.

But it is your choice I just want to point out that there is some good about having those stock blinkers...

I have even been looking at one of those new tail light flasher add ons that flash three or five times when you apply the brake before going to a solid light to catch those cagers attentions...



Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 I fully agree with your statement about the large turnsignals,I think that they are much safer to have on the bike than the small ones.Looks are fine but to me safety comes first,I want to go riding again tomorrow.That is the also the reason that I put mirrors on my bike with a longer stem,I can see much better behind me from EACH mirror.
 
I have been contemplating new turn signals.

I too have seen those miniscule turn signals and agree they could poise a hazard. But I think there's room for compromise between the huge US signals and those tiny LED signals.

Chip Beck posted a potential solution a couple of months back. What about the turn signals that Honda puts on their Japanese CB1100's?

The problem is how the smaller signals mount to the bike. I asked Takashi about it and he volunteered to offer a discounted price to the first person who successfully mounts front and rear signals to a US bike and sends him pictures and details.

Here's a portion of his reply about signals (I just got it this morning):

"I heard the turn signal bases are the difference. We use M10 for front turn signal bases, but USA model has M8 or M6. So (a customer) needed drilling to make it large hole.

I can get Honda stock signal bases(bracket)+rubbers which cost 8900yen or use this aftermarket brackets.
http://www.samurider.com/?p=13302/#itemImage

To be honest, I am not sure if it will work out. so I please to offer you Special price, If you would like to try with the options!"

I just might take Takashi up on a pair of turn signals, but that would be a couple paychecks from now.

If someone else wants to take the challenge please feel free to contact Takashi at Samurider.com [contact@samurider.com]. I'm sure he'd pass on the same deal, and everyone could see what's involved in the front and rear turn signal mounting.

I really like the Japanese versions. And as far as being smaller, I do what many of you already do when a cager is on your arse and you need to turn. I use turn signals AND hand signals well in advance of the turn and tap the rear brake a few times to clearly signal my intentions.
 
Oboro_imp said:
Any swap out their blinkers for something less....freakin gigantic?
Oboro,

Yeah, the gigantic stock turn signals along with the boxcar size stock taillight that sticks up and out and over the end of the rear fender combined with the monstrous stock license plate bracket needed a little attention. Mounting aftermarket turn signals is a major PITA as nothing will even remotely bolt right on. When I perform a modification on my bike one of my objectives is always to have the finished result look like it may be stock. I really love the looks of this bike and do not want to change its character, I just wanted to clean up a few of the details that I didn't like. As regards the turn signals, these units are cast aluminum and they use the same bulb as the stock light so they are every bit as bright. The stock turn signals are plastic.

I started by removing the stock turn signals to study what would need to be done. I actually looked at it for a couple weeks, and tried several different solutions. Adding to the complexity is the fact that the front turn signal mounting brackets on the bike are completely different than the rear turn signal mounting brackets.

If you look closely at these pictures you will see that the turn signal itself is mounted against a large stainless steel washer. An identical washer is placed inside the rear turn signal mounting bracket. This keeps the turn signals centered and allows a rock solid mount to tighten the bolt up against. The front turn signal bracket center hole needs to be drilled out with 3/8 inch bit. The hole actually needs to be just slightly larger than 3/8 so I routed it out just a bit. Again, a large stainless washer with a 3/8 inch hole in it needs to be placed inside the front bracket to center the signals which will sandwich the stock mounting plate in between two of those washers and allow the signals to be mounted. This is how Tashaki's signals can be mounted as well. Getting a bolt inside that front mounting bracket was incredibly difficult as the slotted hole that allows access inside there is very small and room to work is quite constrained. It took me two hours before I successfully built that "ship in a bottle".

The end result works flawlessly, looks fabulous, and everybody that sees it has no idea that those turn signals are not stock. Exactly what I was looking for.

I've been very busy as of late so consider this a very abbreviated "Chip Beck Spec" mod. All the best.

Chip



[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig2.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig10.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig9.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig8.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig7.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig6.jpg.html]
 
Chip, that's the ticket. With the 'Lucas' lamp there, the bike looks sleeker, lighter and just right. Good work, thanks for the post.
 
Should have paid more attention to Chip Beck's Lockhart Phillips turn signal post. :(

I paid 5 times more for the plastic version (the Honda CB1100 Japanese signals to be exact).

At least Takashi is giving me free shipping by combining 4 other items in a single shipment.

I have a vague idea what will be required to make the signals fit and still look good (which eliminates the use of duct tape and bailing wire). If the job doesn't get botch I'll send out an update.

But those Lockhart Phillips signals sure look great, are aluminum - not plastic, use the same bulbs, and are way less expensive!

Here is a "before" picture of my bike taken heading back from the store with a RED can of coffee:

d5473dc938e493e4ece61dc780d3693f.jpg
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Should have paid more attention to Chip Beck's Lockhart Phillips turn signal post. :(

I paid 5 times more for the plastic version (the Honda CB1100 Japanese signals to be exact).

At least Takashi is giving me free shipping by combining 4 other items in a single shipment.

I have a vague idea what will be required to make the signals fit and still look good (which eliminates the use of duct tape and bailing wire). If the job doesn't get botch I'll send out an update.

But those Lockhart Phillips signals sure look great, are aluminum - not plastic, use the same bulbs, and are way less expensive!

Here is a "before" picture of my bike taken heading back from the store with a RED can of coffee:

d5473dc938e493e4ece61dc780d3693f.jpg
Heaven forbid it was a GREEN can of coffee!!! Great job matching the Coffee!!!
 
Silas, where did you purchase your signals and which model did you get. If you get a chance could you post some close up pics, thanks.
 
GIXXERMAN_imp said:
Silas, where did you purchase your signals and which model did you get. If you get a chance could you post some close up pics, thanks.
They are POSH turn signals , matte black with clear lens and orange bulb. Just ask Takashi for them, he has them on the site. all metal really worth it.
 
Mounting problems aside, what is the wiring situation like? Do you have to cut and solder wires? I'd love to swap my tail light and blinkers out but have little experience with electrical wiring and don't want to mess anything up.
 
Joola_imp said:
Mounting problems aside, what is the wiring situation like? Do you have to cut and solder wires? I'd love to swap my tail light and blinkers out but have little experience with electrical wiring and don't want to mess anything up.
The Honda signals come with couplers - plug and play.....I hope.
 
silascopathic_imp said:
GIXXERMAN_imp said:
Silas, where did you purchase your signals and which model did you get. If you get a chance could you post some close up pics, thanks.
They are POSH turn signals , matte black with clear lens and orange bulb. Just ask Takashi for them, he has them on the site. all metal really worth it.
They are POSH turn signals , matte black with clear lens and orange bulb. Just ask Takashi for them, he has them on the site. all metal really worth it.
I found them on the website. How diffucult are they to install and what all will I need. Im sure the front ones cant be to much fun.
 
Joola' pid='16051' dateline='1381424439 said:
:)Mounting problems aside, what is the wiring situation like? Do you have to cut and solder wires? I'd love to swap my tail light and blinkers out but have little experience with electrical wiring and don't want to mess anything up. [/quote:huh:]

Joola,

If you are willing to route wires all the way back to that coupler it can be done. But I have no problem cutting a wire and using a proper sized butt splice (which is more durable than soldering wires). Cover the splice tube with heat shrink or electrical tape and it will last the life of the bike. You'll save many hours and a ton of frustration. I know some members think they might like to return the bike to stock "someday" but that's unlikely.

As far as wires go, the signals I used have three wires, black, red, and black with a white stripe. Cut the black wire off as you won't use it. On the CB1100 the wiring on the left side front and rear is black to the black/white stripe, and red to red. On the right side front and rear the wiring is red to blue and green to black/white stripe.

The wiring is easy. And cutting a wire is not like cutting a fender in half or cutting the frame. It's a wire, it can be replaced. Don't lose sleep over it or spend a day futzing around trying to re-route them. Cut it and use a proper splice.

That's my take on it.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Oboro_imp said:
Any swap out their blinkers for something less....freakin gigantic?
Oboro,

Yeah, the gigantic stock turn signals along with the boxcar size stock taillight that sticks up and out and over the end of the rear fender combined with the monstrous stock license plate bracket needed a little attention. Mounting aftermarket turn signals is a major PITA as nothing will even remotely bolt right on. When I perform a modification on my bike one of my objectives is always to have the finished result look like it may be stock. I really love the looks of this bike and do not want to change its character, I just wanted to clean up a few of the details that I didn't like. As regards the turn signals, these units are cast aluminum and they use the same bulb as the stock light so they are every bit as bright. The stock turn signals are plastic.

I started by removing the stock turn signals to study what would need to be done. I actually looked at it for a couple weeks, and tried several different solutions. Adding to the complexity is the fact that the front turn signal mounting brackets on the bike are completely different than the rear turn signal mounting brackets.

If you look closely at these pictures you will see that the turn signal itself is mounted against a large stainless steel washer. An identical washer is placed inside the rear turn signal mounting bracket. This keeps the turn signals centered and allows a rock solid mount to tighten the bolt up against. The front turn signal bracket center hole needs to be drilled out with 3/8 inch bit. The hole actually needs to be just slightly larger than 3/8 so I routed it out just a bit. Again, a large stainless washer with a 3/8 inch hole in it needs to be placed inside the front bracket to center the signals which will sandwich the stock mounting plate in between two of those washers and allow the signals to be mounted. This is how Tashaki's signals can be mounted as well. Getting a bolt inside that front mounting bracket was incredibly difficult as the slotted hole that allows access inside there is very small and room to work is quite constrained. It took me two hours before I successfully built that "ship in a bottle".

The end result works flawlessly, looks fabulous, and everybody that sees it has no idea that those turn signals are not stock. Exactly what I was looking for.

I've been very busy as of late so consider this a very abbreviated "Chip Beck Spec" mod. All the best.

Chip



[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig2.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig10.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig9.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig8.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig7.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig6.jpg.html]

Oboro,

Yeah, the gigantic stock turn signals along with the boxcar size stock taillight that sticks up and out and over the end of the rear fender combined with the monstrous stock license plate bracket needed a little attention. Mounting aftermarket turn signals is a major PITA as nothing will even remotely bolt right on. When I perform a modification on my bike one of my objectives is always to have the finished result look like it may be stock. I really love the looks of this bike and do not want to change its character, I just wanted to clean up a few of the details that I didn't like. As regards the turn signals, these units are cast aluminum and they use the same bulb as the stock light so they are every bit as bright. The stock turn signals are plastic.

I started by removing the stock turn signals to study what would need to be done. I actually looked at it for a couple weeks, and tried several different solutions. Adding to the complexity is the fact that the front turn signal mounting brackets on the bike are completely different than the rear turn signal mounting brackets.

If you look closely at these pictures you will see that the turn signal itself is mounted against a large stainless steel washer. An identical washer is placed inside the rear turn signal mounting bracket. This keeps the turn signals centered and allows a rock solid mount to tighten the bolt up against. The front turn signal bracket center hole needs to be drilled out with 3/8 inch bit. The hole actually needs to be just slightly larger than 3/8 so I routed it out just a bit. Again, a large stainless washer with a 3/8 inch hole in it needs to be placed inside the front bracket to center the signals which will sandwich the stock mounting plate in between two of those washers and allow the signals to be mounted. This is how Tashaki's signals can be mounted as well. Getting a bolt inside that front mounting bracket was incredibly difficult as the slotted hole that allows access inside there is very small and room to work is quite constrained. It took me two hours before I successfully built that "ship in a bottle".

The end result works flawlessly, looks fabulous, and everybody that sees it has no idea that those turn signals are not stock. Exactly what I was looking for.

I've been very busy as of late so consider this a very abbreviated "Chip Beck Spec" mod. All the best.

Chip

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig1.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig2.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig10.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig9.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig8.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig7.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Sig6.jpg.html] I would like to duplicate what you have done to your 1100, where can I buy turn signals and tail light? thanks Greg Davis gregdavis3@aol.com Orlando, Fl and Columbus, Ohio
Thank you, does anyone have web site as to where to purchase these smaller signals. and tail light?
 
Do I want to buy single filament or Dual Filament from Lockhart Phillips. Thanks Chip, for the post, can't wait to get my new CB 1100 and put the smaller signals on. I also want to change the tail light as you did.
 
Back
Top