Sliders or Guards? pros and cons?

I bought the pads on ebay about a year ago. Just checked and the seller no longer lists them but a search results in quite a few alternatives.

The sliders are Baby face. Sorry, don't remember where I bought them. One of the online motorcycle vendors.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I put guards made in china and sold on ebay on my 2013, I didn't like the lower mounting point, it touched down to the pavement before my peg feelers on sharp corners with bumps... I wore the frame bracket, u-bolt, and lower nut off at a 45* angle very quickly. Luckily, I stayed upright during each event.
 
I have no knowledge or opinion about which is better, but I went with the SW engine guards. Easy to fit and blend in nicely with my particular model.
Fingers are crossed that I don't have to test them :D :D
 
I can only comment on the OEM engine guards. I’m glad I had them when I slid off the road last year. With bent handle bars and other damages, I was able to ride my CB to the shop. I installed the same guards on my replacement CB. See:
Engine guards
 
I bought some T-Rex racing engine guards. Although they stick out and do not look very good, they saved my frame and other parts of my bike when I went down at about 15 mph at the end of a dirt road where the gravel was on top of the pavement. I took a black marker and filled in the scratches. They were worth every penny!
 
Questions for those who opted for the SW-Motechs as I do like the black and as an additional mount for lights. Did yours come with a rubber pad to fit between the lower clamp and frame? Where did you find the best price recently? Thank you.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I have the OVER stainless steel engine guards bought from Samurider ; they look great and are very sturdy.
I have these as well and I'm on my second set. A rogue deer on a mountain road forced me to thoroughly test the left guard and I was so impressed I immediately ordered a replacement set.

I don't know much about sliders, but I can vouch for the amazing level of protection offered by the OVER guards. I went down on the left side and except for scraping the ball of the clutch lever, the guard protected everything on the left side. I didn't even scratch a turn signal.

I'm not sure about engine guards being a cruiser item. My 70s and 80s UJMs had 'em before cruisers were a thing.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Guards are typically used on cruisers, and sliders are typically used on sport bikes, but the CB is right in between. I see both guards and sliders used on them in pictures, and it seems to be a matter of preference. Does one have a clear advantage over the other in terms of dollars spent vs. protection achieved? are there other advantages of one over the other?

most all threads i found on here were about folks installing guards, so it seems like the forum folks typically prefer guards. on the whole, it seems like guards and sliders are not that far apart in price. What's really going on between these two choices?
A few months ago I tucked the front and the CB went for about a 100 ft. slide on its left side down the asphalt. Replaced the clutch lever, bar end weight, moved the slightly scuffed shock to the other side (so the scratches are on the inside) and replaced the T-REX slider puck (pictured). You'd never know it happened!
 
Welcome 3KBRACING. Good looking bike, although RLETs would augment your handiwork. What’s the front sprocket cover?
 
Thanks, popgun, but I actually meant the black cover with holes in it above and behind the protector covers and covering the front sprocket.
 
Ah. Didn’t notice that!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Welcome 3KBRACING. Good looking bike, although RLETs would augment your handiwork. What’s the front sprocket cover?
Just my own handiwork. Something different. Back in the day we used to drill holes in everything to make it lighter and look cool.
 
sometimes i wonder if having engine guards , crash bars , top of the line helmets and the best of protective gear has anything to do with their frequency of use ?
 
Back
Top