Sliders or Guards? pros and cons?

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
Guards are typically used on cruisers, and sliders are typically used on sport bikes, but the CB is right in between. I see both guards and sliders used on them in pictures, and it seems to be a matter of preference. Does one have a clear advantage over the other in terms of dollars spent vs. protection achieved? are there other advantages of one over the other?

most all threads i found on here were about folks installing guards, so it seems like the forum folks typically prefer guards. on the whole, it seems like guards and sliders are not that far apart in price. What's really going on between these two choices?
 
One advantage of guards (on some bikes) is that they may help to keep the bike off of your leg. I had a HD Wide Glide where the guards protected my wife's leg in a slow speed tip over when she decided that she wanted to try riding it. She is a decent rider, but her hand wasn't strong enough to work the clutch and so as she was coming to a stop in first gear in the parking lot, the bike stalled and kicked over. It came to a rest with her leg under the bike in the triangular "safe zone" created by the guards and she walked away and there was minor damage to the brake lever and a few scuffs on the guards. I had a higher speed (30mph) tank slapper crash where the bike flipped forward and came to rest with my leg also in the same "safe zone". I walked away with some road rash on my knee. The bike faired pretty well with damage limited to the gas tank (both sides), brake lever and bar ends, pipes and footpegs. The guards and the saddle bags took most of the injuries. So in these cases, the guards were an advantage.

However, on the CB1100, the guards are not really big enough to create a "safe zone" so I don't think any of what I just said matters. Nonetheless, I bought the SW guards.
 
Thread starter
I hear this a lot, everybody buys the SW guards, but then i see a lot of frame sliders when i search for engine protection options. I'm trying to determine if the slider pegs are just for show or if there's another reason people choose them for protection. I guess either way i'm adding weight to the bike, so i might as well give it due diligence and make the right choice.
 
I put sliders on mine because I didn’t want case guards. They are hopefully keep the cases off the road if I go down. Read the article I linked above.

Then go with what you want. There are plenty of options either way.
 
Thread starter
I did read that pop, thanks. lots of information about sliders, i'm just holding out for the counterpoint about guards.

i haven't been on the pavement in about 6 years, and hopefully I stay that way, but if this is going to be a forever bike, i need to keep it from getting totaled.
 
I bought the SW guards and they look great. They blend in with the black model and don't stick out too far. Good deal too.
 
Thread starter
i do think they look fine, compared to a lot of ugly guards, but how would you rate the protection against frame sliders? any reason you got those instead of sliders?
 
I have OEM chrome guards on my CB...saved my left leg once and look gracious
As popgun said, it is your choice
Good luck

pb
 
I went with SW guards because I'm more confident that key engine components will be spared in a drop than I would be with sliders. I worried for half a second that I might scrape them on tight turns, but then said to myself "Who are you crapping?" LOL In any case, other hard parts touch ground way before the guards would.
 
Well I have OEM Guards on my 2014, they are the same height as the lower frame rail. I was sold on them since I dropped a XS1100 I had back in the 80s. Case's can get expensive in just a second. I also am one of those riders who when possible likes to lean my bike way over in turns and have never have any issue with scraps, and use pretty much the entire riding area on the tire. Either way, its a personal choice on how you want your bike to look I guess. You like which ever one you decide on.
 
I put sliders on my cb

That said, I’ve run guards on my fz1 but it was higher.

My issue with the cb guards was clearance.. I have a tendency to do crap like scrape pegs.. unfortunately, I would be what is described as ummm errr husky... or fat ass.. This means I compress the suspension, especially when headed down hill. So I was worried they could hit..
 
I just like the "lean and clean" look of the sliders. Didn't give it much more thought than that.
ec2f2618f6257a20812b70f0b513b5b7.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Retsel_imp said:
I just like the "lean and clean" look of the sliders. Didn't give it much more thought than that.
ec2f2618f6257a20812b70f0b513b5b7.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Hey I like your tank pads , where did you get them ? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
greekcb_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
I just like the "lean and clean" look of the sliders. Didn't give it much more thought than that.
ec2f2618f6257a20812b70f0b513b5b7.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Hey I like your tank pads , where did you get them ? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I like your tank pads , where did you get them ? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea...seconded. I don't want to derail the thread but I also want to know. Also, which sliders specifically?
 
I know nothing of the pros or cons of guards vs sliders but I'm with Retsel - I like the looks of sliders better.

Plus, the previous owner had already installed a set that look exactly like Retsel's. Why mess with something good?
 
If you do a Google image search of "motorcycle gas tank knee pads" you'll see ones that look like those pads from several dealers. J&P Cycles was the first one which came up on my search. $30.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i do think they look fine, compared to a lot of ugly guards, but how would you rate the protection against frame sliders? any reason you got those instead of sliders?
Hard to say, as I don't have them both in front of me. The guards are one solid piece supported on multiple sides, so they're tough as nails in a crash. Frame sliders can catch and break, with only one point to slide on. The rounded metal edges of the guards will slide better. However, if the sliders are higher up on the bike, you might get more overall protection if they perform as intended. I've had sliders on a sport bike and they did the trick.
 
I think sliders look like they can be teared off easily, while guards look more sturdy.

I have put OEM guards on my 17RS: black frame, black guards. They blend in like the bike was designed to have them. I personally like them better than the SW, and being OEM I am pretty sure they won't touch the ground when they don't have to.

I hope to never test them for crash worthiness though :biker:
 
Back
Top