Single Sided Swingarm

Cafe Project_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I decided to split out the rear end build into it's own thread. The Ducati 1198SP rear end is in. The chain lines up nicely with the wheel centered. Just got the Ohlins suspension and linkage today and that even fits! It's better to be lucky than good. See the pictures.

I just have to figure out the static sag and get close with the ride height, The Ducati even has an adjustable ride height link that I can us for fine tuning. I do have to weld in the suspension pivot but there is plenty of room. I will need to add the cone air filter in place of the secondary air box, but that will look great I think.

I am getting excited.



[url=https://postimg.cc/HJxW0LXS]

[url=https://postimg.cc/3dXwYV3Z]

[url=https://postimg.cc/K1QvgTkk]
 
Cafe Project_imp said:
I decided to split out the rear end build into it's own thread. The Ducati 1198SP rear end is in. The chain lines up nicely with the wheel centered. Just got the Ohlins suspension and linkage today and that even fits! It's better to be lucky than good. See the pictures.

I just have to figure out the static sag and get close with the ride height, The Ducati even has an adjustable ride height link that I can us for fine tuning. I do have to weld in the suspension pivot but there is plenty of room. I will need to add the cone air filter in place of the secondary air box, but that will look great I think.

I am getting excited.



[url=https://postimg.cc/HJxW0LXS]

[url=https://postimg.cc/3dXwYV3Z]

[url=https://postimg.cc/K1QvgTkk]

Why?
 
DBM—because he can.

Houtman—me too.
 
Thread starter
DBM- Why? Because the bike was damaged when I bought it. Although the rear end was only superficially damaged (turn signal and one shock). I wanted a project and to build something unique, that I like, and the 140 section rear tire and boxy swing arm was not doing it for me. Now I can't walk past the new swing arm and wheel without stopping and licking it. In fact, I am going to go in there and lick it right now.
One more note. The plan is to leave the big frame triangle (in the last picture) where the battery and fusebox cover used to be, as open as it is in the pictures. You should be able to see all the sexy suspension parts and the cone filer through there and it will look like an old CB.
 
It looks very good. It's a very interesting project! I am looking forward to seeing more pics of the whole process and the finished bike :)

I guess that doing proper weldings for the rocker bracket requires removing everything else from the frame (and then repaint, at least on the affected areas!), so it looks like a lot of work.

Also, I don't know what kind of tube is used on the CB, but some steel tubes (e.g. SAE4130) require heat treatment after welding for stress relieve. Otherwise, the strenght can be compromised.

Regarding the lower end of the damper, I can't see it on the pictures: does it react against the swing arm, or it requires you welding an additional bracket to the frame?
 
peterbaron_imp said:
+1 for courage....but worry about CB look after:s
I would say this is going to look and feel amazing. he's going to get a much better rear tire out of this from the looks of that wheel, and i'd be super interested to know the weight difference between the stock swingarm and that Duc arm.

as for looks...don't you worry. the CB11 has the advantage of being able to be modern or retro, whichever way you want to take it.
 
That's amazing. The CB1100 is like a mid 60's Chevelle, a great platform for all kinds of cool builds. Keep posting photos of your progress please!

Chip
 
I would like to see before/after pics of your frame mods going from twin shocks to mono shock. Did you beef up the swingarm pivot area?
 
Thread starter
DBM_imp said:
I would like to see before/after pics of your frame mods going from twin shocks to mono shock. Did you beef up the swingarm pivot area?
DBM

The stock swing arm pivot area is very sturdy. The pivot point itself is 1/2 thick steel plate. With the fact that I am going from a two passenger bike to a one passenger and given the construction of the pivot, I am not planning on reinforcing it.

The upper shock mount is going to be over engineered for sure. I am going to weld one up myself for positioning and assembly of everything else (air filter, seat, battery, tank etc) and then have a pro do the final job. The lower shock mount is all stock Ducati, right into the swing arm.

The current subframe is incredibly strong, as it has to take the old twin shock suspension load. I plan on cutting that down considerably for my seat. I also have a few brackets to grind off the frame around the old battery area.

So, yes I do think removing the engine is inevitable in my near future. Not such a big job as everything else is already gone. All I have left is engine and frame. Yes, I do plan on having it painted, maybe even powder coated. While it's out and at the welders, I may make some other frame mods...still pondering that one.
misterprofessionality_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
+1 for courage....but worry about CB look after:s
I would say this is going to look and feel amazing. he's going to get a much better rear tire out of this from the looks of that wheel, and i'd be super interested to know the weight difference between the stock swingarm and that Duc arm.

as for looks...don't you worry. the CB11 has the advantage of being able to be modern or retro, whichever way you want to take it.
I would say this is going to look and feel amazing. he's going to get a much better rear tire out of this from the looks of that wheel, and i'd be super interested to know the weight difference between the stock swingarm and that Duc arm.

as for looks...don't you worry. the CB11 has the advantage of being able to be modern or retro, whichever way you want to take it.
I will weigh everything next time I have the swing arm out. The Ducati swing arm/brake assembly is heavier for sure, but the Ducati forged wheel is featherlight. I will weigh everything including tires, brakes and shocks, just give me a couple of days. The new vs old tire comparison is amazing. The 190/17 Ducati tire looks great. So aggressive.
 
I'm surprised the Ducati swingarm/caliper/hub/shock weighs more than the Honda's. It looks so beefy, yet also very hollow and light. Amazing how technology trickle-down allows a beautiful piece like that to replace bent and welded steel plates and tubes. Looking at the picture of it on your bike makes the rest of the bike look so 20th century.
 
Holy cow Batman!

Mr Cafe Project you are taking this machine to places where no man has ever been. I'm gobsmacked! Waiting on tenterhooks to see the bike take shape. Please more pics and write ups of the journey.

:worship:
 
Great Cafe P, loving it so far and it's a unique take on the machine. I'm sure as more CB1100's get dropped or sold off cheep, more people will start to use them for custom builds. I reckon its a great platform.
 
This is sick. Kudos Cafe Project. :thumbsup:

And I agree about the rear frame triangle. Covering that up would be a crime. Is the front end getting the matching Ducati wheel?
 
Thread starter
Sadly the front end is not Ducati, it is 2016 GSXR750 with Brembo calipers. GSXR was much easier. I had a custom tree and stem conversion made, but I messed up the new bearing install and now have to press them out, and then do it right, and press them back in again. The tree is simple and retro looking with plain black anodized triple clamps. Taking the rear wheel to the powder coaters tomorrow (it was dark grey with some dings, so I am having it powder coated satin black) and going to work on finishing the tank and trying to get the rear suspension positioning somewhere near where it needs to be.

Can't wait to test fit both front and rear wheels.
 
This is one heck of a project! Can’t wait for more pictures
 
Back
Top