Sight Glass Screw

Mickey Dublin_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I tried searching and found no mention of this.

Does everyone else's oil sight glass have a small screw in the middle. If I could upload a picture, I would. But just picture a small flat head fastener of some kind, with small rubber washers on the inner and outer sections. Is this normal?

If not, why would somebody have put a screw in the sight glass. Thanks everyone
 
yes it's a windshield wiper use a small screwdriver to wipe it back and forth
 
The ferret_imp said:
yes it's a windshield wiper use a small screwdriver to wipe it back and forth
I heard that on the 2024 models, that screw will be turned by a servo motor, controlled by AI. :angel:
 
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
OMG!!
88e9338d63fa5c26af34f7a96ddbd922.gif
3759ba5483a579ae8db69ffad5015b24.gif
 
You know, when you think about the old days of the Honda CB1100, I don't think anyone on the Forum (??) has ever expressed a leak from the wiper-screw-based engine oil sight glass. I would have to say Honda did an okay job in that regard. Way back before I acquired the 2014 model, I looked at that and thought, " ... yikes, how long is this gadget going to last?".
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
You know, when you think about the old days of the Honda CB1100, I don't think anyone on the Forum (??) has ever expressed a leak from the wiper-screw-based engine oil sight glass. I would have to say Honda did an okay job in that regard. Way back before I acquired the 2014 model, I looked at that and thought, " ... yikes, how long is this gadget going to last?".
I think they first appeared on the 1975 Gold Wing, and used on the bigger bikes. Never seen any that leaked.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
yes it's a windshield wiper use a small screwdriver to wipe it back and forth
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
 
It’s fine, Mickey. I think it may have been discussed in the early days, but not for a bit.

I’d still rather have a dip stick!
 
Mickey Dublin_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
yes it's a windshield wiper use a small screwdriver to wipe it back and forth
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Welcome! No harm no foul!

I have gleened some good info here, but it's also amazing how much information is NOT known by some of the self proclaimed resident experts... Including about oil!

While we're on the topic, I strongly recommend that you stick with a quality 10w30 as the manual recommends.

I tried both 10w40 and 15w40 and was considering 5w40 on the advice of some of the experts, but the 10w30 is really exactly what the doctor ordered. My bike runs much smoother on it than on the previous two. Who knew?! Lol

BTW, when changing oil, there's some differences between models as to the correct fill quantity. The correct method, which I found through trial and error, is to fill with 3.5 quarts, and then use the sight glass (on the center stand) to top it up to the precise level.

The manual for my 2014 says 4.2 quarts for oil and filter change, but 4 quarts is too much. I think I'm actually using between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts, and that includes a fresh oil filter and prefilling the filter too.

So, YES! You will want to use that sight glass too!
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s fine, Mickey. I think it may have been discussed in the early days, but not for a bit.

I’d still rather have a dip stick!
I agree! wish I could have a dipstick like my sportster. But then again, that bike doesn't have this sweet center stand!
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Mickey Dublin_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
yes it's a windshield wiper use a small screwdriver to wipe it back and forth
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Welcome! No harm no foul!

I have gleened some good info here, but it's also amazing how much information is NOT known by some of the self proclaimed resident experts... Including about oil!

While we're on the topic, I strongly recommend that you stick with a quality 10w30 as the manual recommends.

I tried both 10w40 and 15w40 and was considering 5w40 on the advice of some of the experts, but the 10w30 is really exactly what the doctor ordered. My bike runs much smoother on it than on the previous two. Who knew?! Lol

BTW, when changing oil, there's some differences between models as to the correct fill quantity. The correct method, which I found through trial and error, is to fill with 3.5 quarts, and then use the sight glass (on the center stand) to top it up to the precise level.

The manual for my 2014 says 4.2 quarts for oil and filter change, but 4 quarts is too much. I think I'm actually using between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts, and that includes a fresh oil filter and prefilling the filter too.

So, YES! You will want to use that sight glass too!
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Welcome! No harm no foul!

I have gleened some good info here, but it's also amazing how much information is NOT known by some of the self proclaimed resident experts... Including about oil!

While we're on the topic, I strongly recommend that you stick with a quality 10w30 as the manual recommends.

I tried both 10w40 and 15w40 and was considering 5w40 on the advice of some of the experts, but the 10w30 is really exactly what the doctor ordered. My bike runs much smoother on it than on the previous two. Who knew?! Lol

BTW, when changing oil, there's some differences between models as to the correct fill quantity. The correct method, which I found through trial and error, is to fill with 3.5 quarts, and then use the sight glass (on the center stand) to top it up to the precise level.

The manual for my 2014 says 4.2 quarts for oil and filter change, but 4 quarts is too much. I think I'm actually using between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts, and that includes a fresh oil filter and prefilling the filter too.

So, YES! You will want to use that sight glass too!
I have definitely seen many of the legendary oil threads. I decided to just use 10w30 as it is available locally, for me.

After reading a few threads, I used the center stand, filled it until it was in the sight glass, ran it for a quick ride, waited a bit, then filled it again to the center line. As of now, that method seems to have worked for getting me right on the high side of middle.
 
Mickey Dublin_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s fine, Mickey. I think it may have been discussed in the early days, but not for a bit.

I’d still rather have a dip stick!
I agree! wish I could have a dipstick like my sportster. But then again, that bike doesn't have this sweet center stand!
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Mickey Dublin_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
yes it's a windshield wiper use a small screwdriver to wipe it back and forth
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Welcome! No harm no foul!

I have gleened some good info here, but it's also amazing how much information is NOT known by some of the self proclaimed resident experts... Including about oil!

While we're on the topic, I strongly recommend that you stick with a quality 10w30 as the manual recommends.

I tried both 10w40 and 15w40 and was considering 5w40 on the advice of some of the experts, but the 10w30 is really exactly what the doctor ordered. My bike runs much smoother on it than on the previous two. Who knew?! Lol

BTW, when changing oil, there's some differences between models as to the correct fill quantity. The correct method, which I found through trial and error, is to fill with 3.5 quarts, and then use the sight glass (on the center stand) to top it up to the precise level.

The manual for my 2014 says 4.2 quarts for oil and filter change, but 4 quarts is too much. I think I'm actually using between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts, and that includes a fresh oil filter and prefilling the filter too.

So, YES! You will want to use that sight glass too!
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Welcome! No harm no foul!

I have gleened some good info here, but it's also amazing how much information is NOT known by some of the self proclaimed resident experts... Including about oil!

While we're on the topic, I strongly recommend that you stick with a quality 10w30 as the manual recommends.

I tried both 10w40 and 15w40 and was considering 5w40 on the advice of some of the experts, but the 10w30 is really exactly what the doctor ordered. My bike runs much smoother on it than on the previous two. Who knew?! Lol

BTW, when changing oil, there's some differences between models as to the correct fill quantity. The correct method, which I found through trial and error, is to fill with 3.5 quarts, and then use the sight glass (on the center stand) to top it up to the precise level.

The manual for my 2014 says 4.2 quarts for oil and filter change, but 4 quarts is too much. I think I'm actually using between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts, and that includes a fresh oil filter and prefilling the filter too.

So, YES! You will want to use that sight glass too!
I have definitely seen many of the legendary oil threads. I decided to just use 10w30 as it is available locally, for me.

After reading a few threads, I used the center stand, filled it until it was in the sight glass, ran it for a quick ride, waited a bit, then filled it again to the center line. As of now, that method seems to have worked for getting me right on the high side of middle.
This is the way. :thumbsup:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Mickey Dublin_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s fine, Mickey. I think it may have been discussed in the early days, but not for a bit.

I’d still rather have a dip stick!
I agree! wish I could have a dipstick like my sportster. But then again, that bike doesn't have this sweet center stand!
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Mickey Dublin_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
yes it's a windshield wiper use a small screwdriver to wipe it back and forth
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Welcome! No harm no foul!

I have gleened some good info here, but it's also amazing how much information is NOT known by some of the self proclaimed resident experts... Including about oil!

While we're on the topic, I strongly recommend that you stick with a quality 10w30 as the manual recommends.

I tried both 10w40 and 15w40 and was considering 5w40 on the advice of some of the experts, but the 10w30 is really exactly what the doctor ordered. My bike runs much smoother on it than on the previous two. Who knew?! Lol

BTW, when changing oil, there's some differences between models as to the correct fill quantity. The correct method, which I found through trial and error, is to fill with 3.5 quarts, and then use the sight glass (on the center stand) to top it up to the precise level.

The manual for my 2014 says 4.2 quarts for oil and filter change, but 4 quarts is too much. I think I'm actually using between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts, and that includes a fresh oil filter and prefilling the filter too.

So, YES! You will want to use that sight glass too!
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Welcome! No harm no foul!

I have gleened some good info here, but it's also amazing how much information is NOT known by some of the self proclaimed resident experts... Including about oil!

While we're on the topic, I strongly recommend that you stick with a quality 10w30 as the manual recommends.

I tried both 10w40 and 15w40 and was considering 5w40 on the advice of some of the experts, but the 10w30 is really exactly what the doctor ordered. My bike runs much smoother on it than on the previous two. Who knew?! Lol

BTW, when changing oil, there's some differences between models as to the correct fill quantity. The correct method, which I found through trial and error, is to fill with 3.5 quarts, and then use the sight glass (on the center stand) to top it up to the precise level.

The manual for my 2014 says 4.2 quarts for oil and filter change, but 4 quarts is too much. I think I'm actually using between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts, and that includes a fresh oil filter and prefilling the filter too.

So, YES! You will want to use that sight glass too!
I have definitely seen many of the legendary oil threads. I decided to just use 10w30 as it is available locally, for me.

After reading a few threads, I used the center stand, filled it until it was in the sight glass, ran it for a quick ride, waited a bit, then filled it again to the center line. As of now, that method seems to have worked for getting me right on the high side of middle.
This is the way. :thumbsup:
d5f177c48df92accb780f7227062924f.gif
 
Whoops_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Mickey Dublin_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s fine, Mickey. I think it may have been discussed in the early days, but not for a bit.

I’d still rather have a dip stick!
I agree! wish I could have a dipstick like my sportster. But then again, that bike doesn't have this sweet center stand!
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Mickey Dublin_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
yes it's a windshield wiper use a small screwdriver to wipe it back and forth
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Welcome! No harm no foul!

I have gleened some good info here, but it's also amazing how much information is NOT known by some of the self proclaimed resident experts... Including about oil!

While we're on the topic, I strongly recommend that you stick with a quality 10w30 as the manual recommends.

I tried both 10w40 and 15w40 and was considering 5w40 on the advice of some of the experts, but the 10w30 is really exactly what the doctor ordered. My bike runs much smoother on it than on the previous two. Who knew?! Lol

BTW, when changing oil, there's some differences between models as to the correct fill quantity. The correct method, which I found through trial and error, is to fill with 3.5 quarts, and then use the sight glass (on the center stand) to top it up to the precise level.

The manual for my 2014 says 4.2 quarts for oil and filter change, but 4 quarts is too much. I think I'm actually using between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts, and that includes a fresh oil filter and prefilling the filter too.

So, YES! You will want to use that sight glass too!
Thank You! I'm sorry if this is making an a** of myself as a new member. I have just never seen such a thing!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I haven’t ever even turned mine.

But since technically this is an oil thread— I don’t turn it as I’m afraid the wiper will rub the engine wear particles against the glass. That would thin the glass and then maybe cause it to fail and let all the oil out. Hey! It could happen… :D
:D I must apologize for starting another dreaded oil thread. Thank you all for the explanation, though.

I'm not sure if I used the search correctly. I assume this has been discussed before, but I got no results.
Welcome! No harm no foul!

I have gleened some good info here, but it's also amazing how much information is NOT known by some of the self proclaimed resident experts... Including about oil!

While we're on the topic, I strongly recommend that you stick with a quality 10w30 as the manual recommends.

I tried both 10w40 and 15w40 and was considering 5w40 on the advice of some of the experts, but the 10w30 is really exactly what the doctor ordered. My bike runs much smoother on it than on the previous two. Who knew?! Lol

BTW, when changing oil, there's some differences between models as to the correct fill quantity. The correct method, which I found through trial and error, is to fill with 3.5 quarts, and then use the sight glass (on the center stand) to top it up to the precise level.

The manual for my 2014 says 4.2 quarts for oil and filter change, but 4 quarts is too much. I think I'm actually using between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts, and that includes a fresh oil filter and prefilling the filter too.

So, YES! You will want to use that sight glass too!
I have definitely seen many of the legendary oil threads. I decided to just use 10w30 as it is available locally, for me.

After reading a few threads, I used the center stand, filled it until it was in the sight glass, ran it for a quick ride, waited a bit, then filled it again to the center line. As of now, that method seems to have worked for getting me right on the high side of middle.
This is the way. :thumbsup:
d5f177c48df92accb780f7227062924f.gif
7c9d5801fe9ab3bf80a0a34913eeb4e9.gif

:rofl:
 
Lord Popgun needs to address this ^^yes ^^ flashing issue, as he is the best expert on it = see his post # 4 :)
 
Back
Top