SHINY HEADERS

IMHO, the stainless headers on my 4 into 1 Standard are just now* starting to develop that beautiful golden color.
*As of last fall when it rolled into storage.
Isn't it nice there are so many options to make these machines exactly what we perceive to be the perfect ride?
Jim
 
Nortoon_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Ferret, how you always have so shiny headers???

105301129da7a8c5807ab84742d063da.jpg


Need quick and easy, step by step recipe how to keep'em as clean as yours, PLEASE
Too shy to show mine:@
How many miles when this pic was taken??
:P

pb
Bugs get baked on the chrome headers of my 2017 CB1100 EX. I tried a number of modern cleaners and polishes to remove them, but no luck. So I went bought some Autosol Metal Polish at Canadian Tire. Its something I have used on chrome motorcycles headers since the 60s.

You will need some rubber gloves and some old socks. Spread a line of Autosol down the header, and spread it around with a glove. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. Wrap a sock around the header, twice if it is stretchy. Pull the sock back and forth and slowly roll it up and down the header. The sock will turn black, but your headers will come clean and shiny.

Bugs get baked on the chrome headers of my 2017 CB1100 EX. I tried a number of modern cleaners and polishes to remove them, but no luck. So I went bought some [url=http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autosol-metal-polish-0392954p.html#srp]Autosol Metal Polish at Canadian Tire. Its something I have used on chrome motorcycles headers since the 60s.

You will need some rubber gloves and some old socks. Spread a line of Autosol down the header, and spread it around with a glove. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. Wrap a sock around the header, twice if it is stretchy. Pull the sock back and forth and slowly roll it up and down the header. The sock will turn black, but your headers will come clean and shiny.
I just use 0000 steel wool when I wash the bike with S-100 or Honda Bike Bright on all chrome. Also use it on the lower fork legs and rims.
 
Retsel_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The deluxe had chrome headers. Not sure about the ‘14 standard. The chrome headers was one of the features of the DLX.
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
182f1c353118f683e3e8874b32401abc.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
30057bb6417ddd2c1a4452d58c7770bd.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Plasticine never hardens whereas Play doh, which is a different compound, does.
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Plasticine never hardens whereas Play doh, which is a different compound, does.
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool: :rofl::rofl:

pb
 
Mscb1100_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The deluxe had chrome headers. Not sure about the ‘14 standard. The chrome headers was one of the features of the DLX.
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
182f1c353118f683e3e8874b32401abc.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
30057bb6417ddd2c1a4452d58c7770bd.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished?
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
6d7368a950aa8cecf1ebb1f8ddc2369e.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished? It is called Chromex. They actually look more like polished aluminum than chrome. I've only put about 1000 miles on them but there are zero blueish. I would sand them a bit prior to sending if I were to do it again. You can see some of the original "bend" lines on the stainless through the coating. Not a big deal. I'd call and check turntime prior to shipping as it varies seasonally. I waited several months to minimize down time. I love them and am very happy with the results. Oh, and it came with a guarantee for one free recoat if there is any problem.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Oh, packaging was a challenge. This is how they did it, just for a reference.
cd14dcd034bf285007251c20c2512fab.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Plasticine never hardens whereas Play doh, which is a different compound, does.
Plasticine is commonly known as Modeling Clay in the US. I like Plasticine better. I will annoy everyone by using that term from here on in.
 
Here we call it Plastelini....l was always liked the smell of it...:P
Guth, please don't lock the thread, leave us kids play a little more...:banana:
 
Acrobat_imp said:
Here we call it Plastelini....l was always liked the smell of it...:P
Guth, please don't lock the thread, leave us kids play a little more...:banana:
After Pokey went to the glue factory, Gumby rides a CB1100 with VERY SHINY CHROMIUM HEADERS. :angel:
 
Guth_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Plasticine never hardens whereas Play doh, which is a different compound, does.
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
I must be too young (or perhaps it is only a US thing) so can someone please explain the significance of "blue Play Doh".

I love the bronze colour of the header on my CB.
 
Check your PM W/R

I’m not posting what I found on here.
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Plasticine never hardens whereas Play doh, which is a different compound, does.
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
Guth,
Do not lock it, please....all members know how to type smart:P

:beerchug:

pb
 
Retsel_imp said:
Mscb1100_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The deluxe had chrome headers. Not sure about the ‘14 standard. The chrome headers was one of the features of the DLX.
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
182f1c353118f683e3e8874b32401abc.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
30057bb6417ddd2c1a4452d58c7770bd.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished?
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
6d7368a950aa8cecf1ebb1f8ddc2369e.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished? It is called Chromex. They actually look more like polished aluminum than chrome. I've only put about 1000 miles on them but there are zero blueish. I would sand them a bit prior to sending if I were to do it again. You can see some of the original "bend" lines on the stainless through the coating. Not a big deal. I'd call and check turntime prior to shipping as it varies seasonally. I waited several months to minimize down time. I love them and am very happy with the results. Oh, and it came with a guarantee for one free recoat if there is any problem.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Oh, packaging was a challenge. This is how they did it, just for a reference.
cd14dcd034bf285007251c20c2512fab.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
d07095b8f6d61799c5ad66b7d1a8741a.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished? It is called Chromex. They actually look more like polished aluminum than chrome. I've only put about 1000 miles on them but there are zero blueish. I would sand them a bit prior to sending if I were to do it again. You can see some of the original "bend" lines on the stainless through the coating. Not a big deal. I'd call and check turntime prior to shipping as it varies seasonally. I waited several months to minimize down time. I love them and am very happy with the results. Oh, and it came with a guarantee for one free recoat if there is any problem.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Oh, packaging was a challenge. This is how they did it, just for a reference.
73f3a35bfd62f1b6cb8e3f3d6979d764.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Thanks very much, were you talking about sanding with a very fine (high number) grit sandpaper, if so what number.
 
Mscb1100_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
Mscb1100_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The deluxe had chrome headers. Not sure about the ‘14 standard. The chrome headers was one of the features of the DLX.
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
182f1c353118f683e3e8874b32401abc.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
30057bb6417ddd2c1a4452d58c7770bd.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished?
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
6d7368a950aa8cecf1ebb1f8ddc2369e.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished? It is called Chromex. They actually look more like polished aluminum than chrome. I've only put about 1000 miles on them but there are zero blueish. I would sand them a bit prior to sending if I were to do it again. You can see some of the original "bend" lines on the stainless through the coating. Not a big deal. I'd call and check turntime prior to shipping as it varies seasonally. I waited several months to minimize down time. I love them and am very happy with the results. Oh, and it came with a guarantee for one free recoat if there is any problem.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Oh, packaging was a challenge. This is how they did it, just for a reference.
cd14dcd034bf285007251c20c2512fab.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
d07095b8f6d61799c5ad66b7d1a8741a.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished? It is called Chromex. They actually look more like polished aluminum than chrome. I've only put about 1000 miles on them but there are zero blueish. I would sand them a bit prior to sending if I were to do it again. You can see some of the original "bend" lines on the stainless through the coating. Not a big deal. I'd call and check turntime prior to shipping as it varies seasonally. I waited several months to minimize down time. I love them and am very happy with the results. Oh, and it came with a guarantee for one free recoat if there is any problem.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Oh, packaging was a challenge. This is how they did it, just for a reference.
73f3a35bfd62f1b6cb8e3f3d6979d764.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Thanks very much, were you talking about sanding with a very fine (high number) grit sandpaper, if so what number.
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
6898f0813c5583323730e15581628913.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Retsel
Those look really good,
I have the same model CB and would like to get mine done by Jet Hot.
What finish is this and how many miles have you put on them since getting them refinished? It is called Chromex. They actually look more like polished aluminum than chrome. I've only put about 1000 miles on them but there are zero blueish. I would sand them a bit prior to sending if I were to do it again. You can see some of the original "bend" lines on the stainless through the coating. Not a big deal. I'd call and check turntime prior to shipping as it varies seasonally. I waited several months to minimize down time. I love them and am very happy with the results. Oh, and it came with a guarantee for one free recoat if there is any problem.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Oh, packaging was a challenge. This is how they did it, just for a reference.
cd166e258b6ef7e915f1abbeff9319ae.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Thanks very much, were you talking about sanding with a very fine (high number) grit sandpaper, if so what number. I'd go with a 300 grit but, only if you see any physical flaws that need fix'n.


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Banned_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Plasticine never hardens whereas Play doh, which is a different compound, does.
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
I must be too young (or perhaps it is only a US thing) so can someone please explain the significance of "blue Play Doh".

I love the bronze colour of the header on my CB.
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
I must be too young (or perhaps it is only a US thing) so can someone please explain the significance of "blue Play Doh".
I think it may be a clever reference to a certain blue, diamond-shaped pill?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Plasticine never hardens whereas Play doh, which is a different compound, does.
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
I must be too young (or perhaps it is only a US thing) so can someone please explain the significance of "blue Play Doh".

I love the bronze colour of the header on my CB.
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
I must be too young (or perhaps it is only a US thing) so can someone please explain the significance of "blue Play Doh".
I think it may be a clever reference to a certain blue, diamond-shaped pill?
Given the average age of our forum members, any references to the blue Play Doh in particular could possibly result in the locking of this thread. :cool:
I must be too young (or perhaps it is only a US thing) so can someone please explain the significance of "blue Play Doh".
I think it may be a clever reference to a certain blue, diamond-shaped pill?

:D
Thank you Cormanus for bringing this up:thumbsup:
What a beautiful transition..in colors and not only....
Are we going pharmaceutical now?????
,,,and Guth was thinking of locking this thread:@....how come ...it's gaining momentum now, and Ferret would be VERY upset if his pic was locked:P

:thanks:

pb
 
Retsel_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The deluxe had chrome headers. Not sure about the ‘14 standard. The chrome headers was one of the features of the DLX.
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
182f1c353118f683e3e8874b32401abc.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Is it just me on my phone, or are those cyl fins shiny?
e6dc981a4b7f206ab78d80850579046e.png





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The deluxe had chrome headers. Not sure about the ‘14 standard. The chrome headers was one of the features of the DLX.
The 14 standard are stainless. Fear not, there is a solution! Jet-Hot!
182f1c353118f683e3e8874b32401abc.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Is it just me on my phone, or are those cyl fins shiny?
e6dc981a4b7f206ab78d80850579046e.png





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just me on my phone, or are those cyl fins shiny?
8879f8a640d3687b5f9854313fc4ac68.png





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Yep, one rainy day I polished the edges and then coated with Cerakote.
25eb741faaf5b7cfb45f8703bc9bb5f4.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I like it. nice job Retsel
 
Back
Top