Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

Must be the roads, heck I'm about to turn over 10,000 miles on the Michelin PR 4s on my 635 pound 146 hp FJR., and the tread is good for maybe another 1000-1500 miles.
 
Thats almost all I have. My favorite loop which I ride a couple of times a week is 36 miles 186 turns with elevation changes with a ( mostly) 55 mph speed limit.
 
Chuckk, I mis-added above. I just turned over 9000 miles on the rear Michelin on the FJR yesterday and turned over 9100 on it today. Put on at 13600 and it now is at 22,700.

anyhow, here is the tire with 9100 miles on it

f3254b58e6fd0dfeaaf6e804c15046c2.jpg


and thinking about it I would call our roads more country curvy/sweepery than twisty. There are not a lot of blind curves or rises or really slow speed turns. It's easy to maintain speed with easy rolling on and off of the throttle and very little braking involved.

here's a thread with some pictures

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13589&highlight=the+Loop

I still think your poor tire mileage is due to road surface though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Chuckk, I mis-added above. I just turned over 9000 miles on the rear Michelin on the FJR yesterday and turned over 9100 on it today. Put on at 13600 and it now is at 22,700.

anyhow, here is the tire with 9100 miles on it

f3254b58e6fd0dfeaaf6e804c15046c2.jpg


and thinking about it I would call our roads more country curvy/sweepery than twisty. There are not a lot of blind curves or rises or really slow speed turns. It's easy to maintain speed with easy rolling on and off of the throttle and very little braking involved.

here's a thread with some pictures

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13589&highlight=the+Loop

I still think your poor tire mileage is due to road surface though.
Shaft drive must be convenient.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
It must be your roads and/or road heat? Those numbers are dismal. I am still on my original '14 Bridgestone OEM rear tire; lots of tread, no cracks (weirdly incredible), and no garage storage.

In regards to Dunlop, my '18 (2019) mule has 12000 kms on the rear and it is toast and is already cracking - front tire too!

Chuck: What's on the rear now - another PR-3 or a PR-4?
G.O... maybe I will try a pr-4, if they are the same size as the pr-3's I have been using.. I heard something about the 4's getting better mileage..
.
a16c0d643c5be1ed595b7c6ee4582675.jpg
[/b]
looks like the pr-4's only come in 17in. rears.. I will have to stay with the pr-3's .. ahh well ..:(
 
Thread starter
I'm thinking, this will be a nice way to store my tire data.. as soon as I replace the front shinko and have the miles ridden on it, I will create a front tire history.. it seems, most of you wouldn't have many tires to report on.. you lucky dogs !! ..
chuckk ..

.
149058cc496d4d9b9d066f1a7acec884.jpg
 
I am wondering because of the intense heat of the southwest states that road aggregate is engineered differently (compared to say the northeast) to handle it and at the expense of low abrasiveness?
 
Thread starter
maybe other riders that live in Southern California (and don't ride hwy33) could comment on the life of their CB's tire's..
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wishing you luck Chuck hope everything works out for you. Please keep us updated.

Original tire worn out at 2700 miles? Wow
I was surprised myself.. wait till you see it.. unless I am really getting forgetful, my fronts always gave out first.. I was keeping an eye on my front, when I realized my rear tire was done..
I was surprised myself.. wait till you see it.. unless I am really getting forgetful, my fronts always gave out first.. I was keeping an eye on my front, when I realized my rear tire was done..
THIS IS CHUCKK & CHARLOTTE PROJECT, just posting for them :)

34d9c370f5ed41164c9d0bb601e2f670.jpg


1ffaa2fdaacd2556795fd2c921900dcf.jpg


921f41dffed75e01103f58cf85a14044.jpg


a4d6df070701472149d9b147fa0749a3.jpg


6ae0d9f1f990b2db7710c2f3276cfb07.jpg


984cfe27388dfd0086b8f7b163829507.jpg


51779b00592e0084773e56bc4062018b.jpg


61f4c7edd641cabc8da3bdf6e54762cd.jpg


6ebd27e4f6bf49cc62b0add42e484939.jpg


fbada58b6fbbd13768db704f20e6384c.jpg


c8f6037c10b54682b854a6a6ee485f8f.jpg

This is Charlotte

Chuckk, this seems to be too big project just by yourself..did Charlotte help you? :P
I think Peterbaron posted the above for Chuckk...

Chuckk did you happen to measure the width of the channel where you applied the sealant? It looks to be about 1.5 to 2 inches? If I do this I'll probably use tape on top of the sealant and it comes in different widths.
 
Thread starter
sorry, but I didn't measure.. I should still have the rubbers that cover the spoke nuts.. they might give you an idea.. I could look when I go out to my shop.. thats where they would be..
Chuckk ..
 
Chuckk_imp said:
sorry, but I didn't measure.. I should still have the rubbers that cover the spoke nuts.. they might give you an idea.. I could look when I go out to my shop.. thats where they would be..
Chuckk ..
Thanks. It would be interesting to know how wide that strip is. Although I realized looking at my bike just now that the rim well can be measured from the outside too.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
It must be your roads and/or road heat? Those numbers are dismal. I am still on my original '14 Bridgestone OEM rear tire; lots of tread, no cracks (weirdly incredible), and no garage storage.

In regards to Dunlop, my '18 (2019) mule has 12000 kms on the rear and it is toast and is already cracking - front tire too!

Chuck: What's on the rear now - another PR-3 or a PR-4?
G.O... maybe I will try a pr-4, if they are the same size as the pr-3's I have been using.. I heard something about the 4's getting better mileage..
.
a16c0d643c5be1ed595b7c6ee4582675.jpg
[/b]
looks like the pr-4's only come in 17in. rears.. I will have to stay with the pr-3's .. ahh well ..:(
Chuck,

I just fitted a set of Avon Spirit ST II's front and rear and I can say so far that they have been a very strong (currently produced) replacement fort he Michelin PR3/4. I don't know how long you've got but this time next year i'll have about 14k on the rear and I will be able to give a strong assessment of just how good they are in the long haul. First impressions are that they're fantastic though.
 
Thread starter

mr pro.. I will check them out..
pdedse_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
sorry, but I didn't measure.. I should still have the rubbers that cover the spoke nuts.. they might give you an idea.. I could look when I go out to my shop.. thats where they would be..
Chuckk ..
Thanks. It would be interesting to know how wide that strip is. Although I realized looking at my bike just now that the rim well can be measured from the outside too.
Thanks. It would be interesting to know how wide that strip is. Although I realized looking at my bike just now that the rim well can be measured from the outside too. see if these pics do you any good.. Peter may have posted pics of the rubber on the rims, to help even more .. I don't have the rubber on rim pics anymore..
Chuckk ..
..
d8d554549a442ea7a883cc4f045fa8df.jpg

.
217f70bbeb19aff8855af2ab3b60cd74.jpg
[/b]
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
It must be your roads and/or road heat? Those numbers are dismal. I am still on my original '14 Bridgestone OEM rear tire; lots of tread, no cracks (weirdly incredible), and no garage storage.

In regards to Dunlop, my '18 (2019) mule has 12000 kms on the rear and it is toast and is already cracking - front tire too!

Chuck: What's on the rear now - another PR-3 or a PR-4?
G.O... maybe I will try a pr-4, if they are the same size as the pr-3's I have been using.. I heard something about the 4's getting better mileage..
.
a16c0d643c5be1ed595b7c6ee4582675.jpg
[/b]
looks like the pr-4's only come in 17in. rears.. I will have to stay with the pr-3's .. ahh well ..:(
Chuck,

I just fitted a set of Avon Spirit ST II's front and rear and I can say so far that they have been a very strong (currently produced) replacement fort he Michelin PR3/4. I don't know how long you've got but this time next year i'll have about 14k on the rear and I will be able to give a strong assessment of just how good they are in the long haul. First impressions are that they're fantastic though.
Chuck,

I just fitted a set of Avon Spirit ST II's front and rear and I can say so far that they have been a very strong (currently produced) replacement fort he Michelin PR3/4. I don't know how long you've got but this time next year i'll have about 14k on the rear and I will be able to give a strong assessment of just how good they are in the long haul. First impressions are that they're fantastic though. mr. pro... you talked me into trying one !! .. I have a spank brand new pr-3 installed right now, but it won't last me too long.. then I will test out the Avon..

chuckk ..
..
161344be119b2e93d0245b1bc90c7008.jpg
[/b]
 
Thread starter
. well, it is time for another front tire on the little C.B. I chose another fatty .. my shinko 777 120/90/18 .. I have gotten just a little more mileage off of this one.. I am keeping track of tires by using this pic.. it is just more fun and colorful.. I have another pic for the rear tire..
.
b6abe743116c7b3a6c39eb1969277302.jpg

.
146a32c10e581d4690c03107ad18a08c.jpg
 
How many miles you have on the PR3 now Chuckk.?
 
Back
Top