Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

I have never recorded mileage on my tires. I do visual inspections and determine if I can get through another hot season without blowing. I've ridden with flats, tires patched maybe three times with lazy honkin' plugs (no side-effects from rear tire), and a rear tire that unexpectedly started to show four inches of white cord. At that point I realized I was accelerating too aggressively and stopped that. Cheapest tire ever had was Bridgestone and it lasted well. Maybe the most expensive was Avon and they were great, but I took on many flats due to nails and screws.
 
Thread starter
well, I am no tire expert.. I can only judge by the results I get.. and I mainly look for price, tire mileage, and handling..I have settled with those Shinko's .. they are pretty cheap and I have resigned myself to just change them often.. kinda like a race car driver.. swapping them out after so many laps.. haha .. don't get me wrong, I am not that fast in the canyons, but I do ok.. another theory I have is the road I choose to ride.. other riders have commented, hwy 33 out of ventura has a tendency to eat tires.. maybe that is the reason for my poor mileage..looking back at my records of other bikes I have owned, the tire mileage seems to run between 2,200 miles to 3,600 miles.. the bikes were older naked goldwings, cbr 1100 blackbirds, Yamaha 1300 fjr's, Honda vfr's, and the like.. fronts and rears seem to be pretty close.. these are just generalizations .. chuckk j.
 
PeterBaron, 40,000 kms on a PR3 is truly amazing.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
PeterBaron, 40,000 kms on a PR3 is truly amazing.
..this mileage was achieved during almost perfect road/long distance condition as indicated and only for the rear tire **
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
the testing between the D205 rear and the Shinko 777 rear is now completed.. it was very close as far as the miles ridden.. the D205 gave me 2700 miles.. the shinko 777 gave me 2600 miles.. the wear was quite different between the two brands of tires though.. I have been riding the same canyon roads.. my riding style hasn't changed.. tire pressures have been right where they should be.. hopefully Peter has the time and kindness to post pics of the two different wear patterns.. also, while replacing the worn shinko, I have decided to remove that protective rubber strip.. it had definitely migrated and the Schrader valve hole was covered up by it.. I then chose to give my rim a third coat of 3-m adhesive sealant, just ti be safe.. I have a few pics of that also.. the only test left now, is the mileage I get on the front shinko compared to the front D205.. ........ Chuckk j.
AS PER CHUCKK request

726f1fdda5a2534dfb082b385c7212c1.jpg


a23163629ab57f19c98b30f7046dc08d.jpg


ed9bdc125425654a5b9cf970595ed721.jpg


2a9739ae5ededb6c159563eaaa33d415.jpg



I have never had a touring tire on any of my bikes that only lasted 3000 miles... , in my case, this would result in replacing tire 2-3 times per riding season :s
talk about it....I use PR3's on my CB as well, and it's looking like i will hit over 15000 miles on the rear before it needs to be changed. I'm glad I looked at this thread. I will never put Shinko 777's on any bike after reading this.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
the testing between the D205 rear and the Shinko 777 rear is now completed.. it was very close as far as the miles ridden.. the D205 gave me 2700 miles.. the shinko 777 gave me 2600 miles.. the wear was quite different between the two brands of tires though.. I have been riding the same canyon roads.. my riding style hasn't changed.. tire pressures have been right where they should be.. hopefully Peter has the time and kindness to post pics of the two different wear patterns.. also, while replacing the worn shinko, I have decided to remove that protective rubber strip.. it had definitely migrated and the Schrader valve hole was covered up by it.. I then chose to give my rim a third coat of 3-m adhesive sealant, just ti be safe.. I have a few pics of that also.. the only test left now, is the mileage I get on the front shinko compared to the front D205.. ........ Chuckk j.
AS PER CHUCKK request

726f1fdda5a2534dfb082b385c7212c1.jpg


a23163629ab57f19c98b30f7046dc08d.jpg


ed9bdc125425654a5b9cf970595ed721.jpg


2a9739ae5ededb6c159563eaaa33d415.jpg



I have never had a touring tire on any of my bikes that only lasted 3000 miles... , in my case, this would result in replacing tire 2-3 times per riding season :s
talk about it....I use PR3's on my CB as well, and it's looking like i will hit over 15000 miles on the rear before it needs to be changed. I'm glad I looked at this thread. I will never put Shinko 777's on any bike after reading this.
talk about it....I use PR3's on my CB as well, and it's looking like i will hit over 15000 miles on the rear before it needs to be changed. I'm glad I looked at this thread. I will never put Shinko 777's on any bike after reading this. You get what yo pay for in most cases .
 
Any rear tire experience: I have found I drastically reduce tread life when accelerating hard at speed (Example: 90 km/h --> 130 km/h). You can feel the rubber melt as you lurch forward.

The only other thing I can think of is road surface quality. In theory, freeway and Class A roadways should permit decent wear economy on any tire.

I reckon if you are consuming mileage on Class B hot desert roads ( ... and good for you! ), then I would expect accelerated tread wear.
 
Thread starter
I will have to say, I was disappointed in the mileage I got from the rear shinko.. I may try a 160/60/18 pr-3.. I am assuming it will fit ok on my 4in. spoked rim..I am also assuming there will be enough clearance on the swing arm for the additional width.. has anyone an opinion on this fit ? .. I know Peter has posted his success with his "13".. my bike is a "17" just to be clear.. the tubeless Shinko's seem to be working out fine on my sealed spoked rim, leaving me open to try other tubeless tires.......... chuckk j.
 
Go for the PR-3s. Fitment is not an issue (2017 owners please chime in if I am wrong).

Oh, wait. Nevermind. I doubt any 2017 owners have gone with this tire option seeing as it is tubeless. Duh.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
I will have to say, I was disappointed in the mileage I got from the rear shinko.. I may try a 160/60/18 pr-3.. I am assuming it will fit ok on my 4in. spoked rim..I am also assuming there will be enough clearance on the swing arm for the additional width.. has anyone an opinion on this fit ? .. I know Peter has posted his success with his "13".. my bike is a "17" just to be clear.. the tubeless Shinko's seem to be working out fine on my sealed spoked rim, leaving me open to try other tubeless tires.......... chuckk j.
Rear PR3-160, I had on my '13, and still have with present '14 model. Great tire, great performance for my style of riding. No issue. Cannot confirm as to '17.
 
Thread starter
has anyone heard of a discontinuance of the pr-3's ? .. the reason being, there is now the pr-4's and 5's.. the 4's and 5's don't offer a tire to fit the 18 inch rims that are on my 2017ex .. here I was all ready to do a shoot out between the pr-3 and the shinko777.. I'm still thinking the low mileage I am getting is due to the mountain roads I ride.. this would be a great comparison, riding on my abusive, twisty mountain roads and seeing if I could at least double the mileage that the shinko and the D-205's offer.. seeing that the pr-3's are twice the price of a shinko777, I would need to get at least 6000 miles off of a rear 160/60/18 pr-3.......... bend like the willow, or break like the mighty oak .. keep an open mind......... Chuckk j.
 
Your calculation is correct, and on top of that ONE less visit to tire shop. If PR3 160 fits '17 model and you make 10000 miles, you should be a winner. I think, you should give it a try.
Just to remind you, my '13 CB made 36000km + about 6000 km was still left, so is about 20000 miles in my case/scenario, half of what you would be happy with. Go for it Chuckk, good luck and feedback, please.

P.S On my present '14 CB, I already have 10000km/6000 miles with +2psi more, and plenty of meat still left
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Your calculation is correct, and on top of that ONE less visit to tire shop. If PR3 160 fits '17 model and you make 10000 miles, you should be a winner. I think, you should give it a try.
Just to remind you, my '13 CB made 36000km + about 6000 km was still left, so is about 20000 miles in my case/scenario, half of what you would be happy with. Go for it Chuckk, good luck and feedback, please.

P.S On my present '14 CB, I already have 10000km/6000 miles with +2psi more, and plenty of meat still left
Peter.. are you running 17 or 18 inch rims ? .. do you know the width of your rims... are they cast, or spoke.. my rear spoked rim is 4 inches wide.. kinda iffy for a 160 tire.. my dealer said, they may not be making the pr-3's much longer.. if you have a 17 in. rim, probably no problem with the next generation of pr-4's and 5's.. but right now they don't make an 18 in. 160 other than the pr-3.. for me.. now I am trying to think positive, but I really feel, after looking at my original D205, it was probably a dual compound tire, similar to the pr-3.. it gave me no better longevity than the shinko.. I can still get a pr-3 from my dealer and I plan on ordering one for the rear.. I have just scrubbed-in my shinko777 yesterday, so I had better get ready to replace it.. haha ......... chuckk j.
 
I haven't heard anything about the PR3 being discontinued. Back in 2016 Michelin said they had discontinued the PR3 and they became scarce. But they proved to be popular enough that Michelin brought them back in 2017. The only difference was that the 110/80 was no longer available for the front. Only the 120/70.

I still see both 18" sizes available for the CB1100 from the usual locations. No guarantees how long Michelin will decide to keep producing them.

The pre '17 cast rear wheels are also 4" in width. I don't think anyone has reported any issues with the 160/60-18 mounted on that rim.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Your calculation is correct, and on top of that ONE less visit to tire shop. If PR3 160 fits '17 model and you make 10000 miles, you should be a winner. I think, you should give it a try.
Just to remind you, my '13 CB made 36000km + about 6000 km was still left, so is about 20000 miles in my case/scenario, half of what you would be happy with. Go for it Chuckk, good luck and feedback, please.

P.S On my present '14 CB, I already have 10000km/6000 miles with +2psi more, and plenty of meat still left
Peter.. are you running 17 or 18 inch rims ? .. do you know the width of your rims... are they cast, or spoke.. my rear spoked rim is 4 inches wide.. kinda iffy for a 160 tire.. my dealer said, they may not be making the pr-3's much longer.. if you have a 17 in. rim, probably no problem with the next generation of pr-4's and 5's.. but right now they don't make an 18 in. 160 other than the pr-3.. for me.. now I am trying to think positive, but I really feel, after looking at my original D205, it was probably a dual compound tire, similar to the pr-3.. it gave me no better longevity than the shinko.. I can still get a pr-3 from my dealer and I plan on ordering one for the rear.. I have just scrubbed-in my shinko777 yesterday, so I had better get ready to replace it.. haha ......... chuckk j.
Peter.. are you running 17 or 18 inch rims ? .. do you know the width of your rims... are they cast, or spoke.. my rear spoked rim is 4 inches wide.. kinda iffy for a 160 tire.. my dealer said, they may not be making the pr-3's much longer.. if you have a 17 in. rim, probably no problem with the next generation of pr-4's and 5's.. but right now they don't make an 18 in. 160 other than the pr-3.. for me.. now I am trying to think positive, but I really feel, after looking at my original D205, it was probably a dual compound tire, similar to the pr-3.. it gave me no better longevity than the shinko.. I can still get a pr-3 from my dealer and I plan on ordering one for the rear.. I have just scrubbed-in my shinko777 yesterday, so I had better get ready to replace it.. haha ......... chuckk j.

2014 CB1100 front wheel width is 2.50", I think rear width is 4.00" , both 18"

'14 rear OEM was Battalax 140/70-R18,, so I put PR3 160/60-R18
 
Thread starter
thanks guys, for your help..I don't want to seem overly cautious, but the last thing I need is to spend $200. on a tire that won't fit my bike.. I will move ahead and buy a 160/60/18 pr-3 and see how it compares in mileage to the D205 and the shinko....... chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
wow !! .. that pr3 looks great mister.. I hope it works for me on that cheese grader of a road I love to travel.. I wonder if there are any plans from the factory to expand their selection of tire sizes in the pr4's and 5's to include the 18 inch ones that fit the CB's.. maybe as they close out the pr3's ?? ......... chuck j.
 
Back
Top