Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
I don't check my tires on every ride. But, I do kick them pretty hard before getting on the bike each day. No, I'm unable to tell the difference between 40 and 42 PSI by kicking them but I would notice if they were down significantly. Improper PSI affects the service life of the tires. Cupping of the front tires being just one issue of note. When I do check the pressure, regardless of what it is I bring them up to specs (think that's 42PSI for the PR3's).
so how many pounds are they normally down then, when you do check them.. would you say maybe 3lbs in a month.. all tires will loose air.. I am trying to figure out what kind of pressure loss is normal..
 
Chuckk_imp said:
I have a question for you guys.. how often do you check your tire pressures.. before every ride? .. and better yet, how often do you top them off with air.. and how many pounds off of ideal pressures does it have to drop before you add air.. hmmmm ... I'm watching mine really close, seeing that I have just sealed my rims.. I check my pressures before every ride.. but I have that FOBO app, so I just have to check them In my iPhone.. after 10 days my pressures have dropped about 2.5 lbs in Both front and rear tires.. my FOBO will alarm when the pressures drop about 4 lbs. but I don't know if I will wait for the alarm to sound.. what are your thoughts..
No, about every three weeks if I'm riding consistently--say 4-5 days per week. But that's because I checked more frequently when I first bought the bike, and the air pressure would never be off. When it sits a week or 10 days during the Oregon rainy winter, then I check before riding. If the weather temp dropped a lot, maybe off by 2lbs.

Chuckk_imp said:
I have a question for you guys.. how often do you check your tire pressures.. before every ride? .. and better yet, how often do you top them off with air.. and how many pounds off of ideal pressures does it have to drop before you add air.. hmmmm ... I'm watching mine really close, seeing that I have just sealed my rims.. I check my pressures before every ride.. but I have that FOBO app, so I just have to check them In my iPhone.. after 10 days my pressures have dropped about 2.5 lbs in Both front and rear tires.. my FOBO will alarm when the pressures drop about 4 lbs. but I don't know if I will wait for the alarm to sound.. what are your thoughts..
I just returned from a 7 week trip and the bike sat in a cold garage. Front was at 40 and the rear at 34, so both had dropped 2lbs from 42 and 36.

My bike is a '17ex, the one with tubes.
 
pdedse, if we’re playing spot the deliberate mistake, I’m pretty sure I’ve got it. I just don’t want to spoil it for others.

I don’t check my tyres before every ride because they seem not to need it. But, when I do, I always return them to spec if needed.
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
Chuckk_imp said:
I have a question for you guys.. how often do you check your tire pressures.. before every ride? .. and better yet, how often do you top them off with air.. and how many pounds off of ideal pressures does it have to drop before you add air.. hmmmm ... I'm watching mine really close, seeing that I have just sealed my rims.. I check my pressures before every ride.. but I have that FOBO app, so I just have to check them In my iPhone.. after 10 days my pressures have dropped about 2.5 lbs in Both front and rear tires.. my FOBO will alarm when the pressures drop about 4 lbs. but I don't know if I will wait for the alarm to sound.. what are your thoughts..
No, about every three weeks if I'm riding consistently--say 4-5 days per week. But that's because I checked more frequently when I first bought the bike, and the air pressure would never be off. When it sits a week or 10 days during the Oregon rainy winter, then I check before riding. If the weather temp dropped a lot, maybe off by 2lbs.

Chuckk_imp said:
I have a question for you guys.. how often do you check your tire pressures.. before every ride? .. and better yet, how often do you top them off with air.. and how many pounds off of ideal pressures does it have to drop before you add air.. hmmmm ... I'm watching mine really close, seeing that I have just sealed my rims.. I check my pressures before every ride.. but I have that FOBO app, so I just have to check them In my iPhone.. after 10 days my pressures have dropped about 2.5 lbs in Both front and rear tires.. my FOBO will alarm when the pressures drop about 4 lbs. but I don't know if I will wait for the alarm to sound.. what are your thoughts..
I just returned from a 7 week trip and the bike sat in a cold garage. Front was at 40 and the rear at 34, so both had dropped 2lbs from 42 and 36.

My bike is a '17ex, the one with tubes.
No, about every three weeks if I'm riding consistently--say 4-5 days per week. But that's because I checked more frequently when I first bought the bike, and the air pressure would never be off. When it sits a week or 10 days during the Oregon rainy winter, then I check before riding. If the weather temp dropped a lot, maybe off by 2lbs.

Chuckk_imp said:
I have a question for you guys.. how often do you check your tire pressures.. before every ride? .. and better yet, how often do you top them off with air.. and how many pounds off of ideal pressures does it have to drop before you add air.. hmmmm ... I'm watching mine really close, seeing that I have just sealed my rims.. I check my pressures before every ride.. but I have that FOBO app, so I just have to check them In my iPhone.. after 10 days my pressures have dropped about 2.5 lbs in Both front and rear tires.. my FOBO will alarm when the pressures drop about 4 lbs. but I don't know if I will wait for the alarm to sound.. what are your thoughts..
I just returned from a 7 week trip and the bike sat in a cold garage. Front was at 40 and the rear at 34, so both had dropped 2lbs from 42 and 36.

My bike is a '17ex, the one with tubes.
mine is a 17ex also.. your plan sounds good.. after testing for a while, you get to know how often you need to check and fill the tires.. but because I have that FOBO tpms system, I would be crazy not to check it every time I ride.. it is a little harder to fill though.. I must remove the FOBO sensor, put a little air in the tire, then screw on the sensor and read the pressure.. I may have to do this a few times to get the pressures just right.. but I have on order, two screw on tee valves.. this will allow me to top off my tires without having to remove the sensors.. "happy days" ..[/b]
 
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse, if we’re playing spot the deliberate mistake, I’m pretty sure I’ve got it. I just don’t want to spoil it for others.

I don’t check my tyres before every ride because they seem not to need it. But, when I do, I always return them to spec if needed.
Took me a few re-reads to spot that "deliberate mistake", but yeah, I had the front and rear switched. To be clear, I meant 36 front and 42 rear. Good catch!:)
 
Sorry. I should have included a smiley or something to let you know I was kidding. :)
 
Thread starter
good one.. puncturation .. a new term to be used, when having a flat tire !! .. maybe plugectomy when fixing the flat..
 
PICS EDITION FOR CHUCKK::

7842d9a5a82a3b5a0082f56680eb6124.png


9fc31a22283359cd84ec30382b8c6a10.png


a06ca5b2ad0ddce3db874b78d0d84491.jpg


:)
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
PICS EDITION FOR CHUCKK::

7842d9a5a82a3b5a0082f56680eb6124.png


9fc31a22283359cd84ec30382b8c6a10.png


a06ca5b2ad0ddce3db874b78d0d84491.jpg


:)
hopefully, the tee valves won't cause the tires to be out of balance too much.. would this cause a wear problem? .. I don't know what exactly to expect.. ideally, I should take them in and get them re-balanced..
 
Thread starter
I wanted to give you guys a heads-up, if any of you are planning to do what I did to seal your rims.. today I was topping off my tires with air when I realized I could not bleed any excess off, to achieve the correct pressure .. I pulled the Schrader valve.. still no release of air.. using a probe, I found the rubber liner on the rim had migrated over the hole for the valve stem.. when I pushed the probe up far enough, the air would escape.. so there is that solution.. I will live with this anomaly until I change tires.. I then will either fasten the rubber in place with adhesive or just remove it.. it was weird.. knowing I had the correct pressure, then screwing on the FOBO sensor, at first it would alarm, showing perhaps 12 lbs of pressure.. then 10 seconds later the sensor read about 18 lbs.. after 30 seconds the pressure had equalized between the tire pressure and the valve stem pressure.. it's a crazy world .. Chuckk j.
when my tee valves come in, I will definitely have the tires re-balanced with the tee valves mounted, along with the fobo sensors.. it will be a breeze to top off the pressures utilizing the fobo sensors.. chuckk j.
 
good night I hope these tires are worth it.
 
5 to 10 years in an automobile TPMS.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
good night I hope these tires are worth it.
yes ferret, I am glad I went thru all of the trouble.. I really like the looks of them and they seem to work well.. I now carry a plug kit and co2 filler.. after sleeping on the rubber liner issue, I am leaning towards just removing it.. this will happen at my next tire change.. I may also apply a 3rd coat of the 3-m 5200.. it doesn't take much to do it.. just mask with electrical tape and use an acid brush to apply.. mounting and balancing are included in the purchase of the tires.. I take one wheel at a time, have the dealer pull the old tire, take the rim home, apply the 5200, let it cure for at least 24 hrs, take the rim along with the new tire back to the dealer, and its then mounted and balanced.. easy-peasy.. haha chuckk j.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Maybe this was mentioned elsewhere already, but I limited my search:

In terms of the valve sensors, how long do the batteries last?
G.O... I am testing battery life as we speak .. the batteries don't seem to last too long.. the good part is they are pretty cheap and can be replaced easily .. I installed new Duracells feb. 13th.. the battery monitor on the iPhone shows they are still in good shape.. the batteries that came with the FOBO were not very good, I feel.. the FOBO failed, I installed the extra batteries that came with the unit.. still the unit failed.. I had purchased the FOBO for another bike I had and the FOBO was over a year old.. so the batteries that came with the unit may have lasted 6 months, I guessing.. you can buy packs of cr2032 batteries cheap, but you just might get what you pay for.. now I am testing the name brand ones.. I am sure they include cheap ones in the FOBO kit.. after installing the new Duracells the FOBO works great.. I love it.. before every ride, I just click on the FOBO app when I am close to the bike and read my pressures.. very cool.. chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
the tee valves have come in.. I have installed them and have had my wheels balanced once more.. the valves are setting pretty tall on the rims now, but are quite solidly mounted.. centrifugal forces shouldn't be a problem in the way I have mounted them.. I have taken pics and perhaps Peter would be kind enough to post them for me.. I have also captured photos of my FOBO, detailing pressures, starting dates of batteries, and leak tests.. the modifications I have done to the front fender to allow for that larger Shinko 777 120/90/18 posed no problems when pulling the front wheel to re-balance.. chuckk j.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
the tee valves have come in.. I have installed them and have had my wheels balanced once more.. the valves are setting pretty tall on the rims now, but are quite solidly mounted.. centrifugal forces shouldn't be a problem in the way I have mounted them.. I have taken pics and perhaps Peter would be kind enough to post them for me.. I have also captured photos of my FOBO, detailing pressures, starting dates of batteries, and leak tests.. the modifications I have done to the front fender to allow for that larger Shinko 777 120/90/18 posed no problems when pulling the front wheel to re-balance.. chuckk j.
Why bold font?
 
Chuckk_imp said:
the tee valves have come in.. I have installed them and have had my wheels balanced once more.. the valves are setting pretty tall on the rims now, but are quite solidly mounted.. centrifugal forces shouldn't be a problem in the way I have mounted them.. I have taken pics and perhaps Peter would be kind enough to post them for me.. I have also captured photos of my FOBO, detailing pressures, starting dates of batteries, and leak tests.. the modifications I have done to the front fender to allow for that larger Shinko 777 120/90/18 posed no problems when pulling the front wheel to re-balance.. chuckk j.
PICS FOR CHUCKK

742c76297918ca353df0ff431afe322f.jpg


355a6981e51bbbf463a860f72bf20a7a.jpg


8cf2eed29841dfedd40e1a438a6709cf.jpg


ab67b85a14cf1ddb23932ea8fcc0f010.jpg


5abcb599a9a20732ff7fda0c6db2550a.jpg


:D
 
Back
Top