Shinko 777 tires for my 2017 CB1100ex

That’s a seriously beefy tyre. I hope it turns out to be worth the hassle it seems to have been.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
That’s a seriously beefy tyre. I hope it turns out to be worth the hassle it seems to have been.
cormanus, I enjoy projects like this.. to most, it is too much work.. to me the results are really rewarding.. other projects I have done, where my friends wonder why I have invested so much time are.. power ports on my handlebars for heated gloves or when converting clip-on handlebars on cbr 1100 blackbird to conventional bars.. my friends envy me this time of year, when on mountain rides, and the temps drop into the 30's and 40's and I am nice and cozy with my heated vest and gloves.. life is good ... chuckk j.
a new issue has arisen with the shinko 777's .. because the front tire is larger, the rear tire doesn't come totally off of the ground when the bike is on the center stand.. the center stand still holds the bike well, but I noticed when attempting to oil my chain, I couldn't turn the rear wheel because of it rubbing on the ground.. so another modification is in order.. looking at the problem, I feel I need only to lengthen the legs on the center stand approximately 3/8 of an inch.. I could easily just put a small square sheet of plywood under the center stand when I want to oil the chain, but then I would be out of modifications to busy myself .. haha ... pics will be coming ... chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
You can just epoxy glue a 3/8 small piece of metal underneath the legs.
I was thinking about something like that.. maybe drill a hole and put a short bolt with a large head on it.. then maybe use epoxy .. chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
good idea !! now why didn't I think of that .. it makes a lot of sense.. just compensate for the additional tire height.. so my headlight won't be shining up at the moon.. haha ..
 
I was hoping he'd do it so we'd learn what happens to the ease of getting the bike on the centre stand when you change its dimensions.
 
Thread starter
I have experienced the ease and difficulty of raising and lowering the bike already !! .. when I first used the center stand with the shinko on the front, It raised onto the center stand effortlessly .. wow that was nice.. when I tried to take it off of the center stand, and while I was sitting on the bike, I found it much harder,, I could no longer rock the bike back, then push forward and off.. so by adding 3/8 of an inch to the stand, I would only be taking it back to normal.. another lesson I have learned when raising the bike even higher on the center stand, is when I change tires.. I use a 2X12X18 inch block of wood.. I locate it under the center stand, then pull the bike up onto the center stand .. now that takes some muscle !! .. to make life easier, I roll the bike up unto a 1X12X36 inch board with just the rear tire on the board.. then I place the 2X12 in front of the board where the center stand will be under it.. then when I raise the bike up, it takes less effort.. then just slide out that 1X12X36 board that is under the rear tire, to give you that extra room to drop the rear wheel and clear the back fender.. I use the same process to change out the front tire.. jacking up the front of the bike and having the room for the rear tire to still stay off of the ground ..... God !! this was like trying to describe to someone how to tie their shoes... pics might have been easier.. haha chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
well, we are working on plan "A" to solve the problem of the rear tire not clearing the ground completely when on the center stand.. good advise came a bit too late.. I had already started with adding some additional length to the little feet of the center stand.. pics with captions seem to tell the story the best.. hopefully Peter can post some for me.. quite often people only see the success stories.. this attempt may not work out.. in that case, you guys can experience my agony and disappointment without getting your hands dirty.. haha .. Chuckk j.
 
Chuckk_imp said:
well, we are working on plan "A" to solve the problem of the rear tire not clearing the ground completely when on the center stand.. good advise came a bit too late.. I had already started with adding some additional length to the little feet of the center stand.. pics with captions seem to tell the story the best.. hopefully Peter can post some for me.. quite often people only see the success stories.. this attempt may not work out.. in that case, you guys can experience my agony and disappointment without getting your hands dirty.. haha .. Chuckk j.
PICS FOR CHUCKK

e73c4ed5dfed1fc845c90ab927613fe6.jpg


3215b116f8dd2dcc3f0456db93eda485.jpg


7531bed0532bbea951d3d7b1f83eb69a.jpg


eed8272a5d142b30043f1d74fb5c4390.jpg


4d79b3abea0ab215ae4ff17905e38ce6.jpg

:)
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Nice job. I hope you get decent service life. I reckon you just replace them before they wear down too much?
G.O.... I am not worried about them wearing down, just coming loose, then falling out.. the bottom plate that I drilled and tapped wasn't very thick and not many threads are holding the bolt in place.. I'm hoping the combination of the threads and the epoxy will hold it fast.. another issue that I didn't mention before is, the side stand now allows the bike to lean over just a little bit more.. no problem on flat ground and in most cases when one is on the side of the road, it can actually help a bit.. this would be due to the angle of the road, designed to allow water to run off.. my preference would be the stock angle of the bike while utilizing the side stand.. I have never cared for side stands the allow the bike to lean over a lot.. chuckk j.
 
Thread starter
I have a question for you guys.. how often do you check your tire pressures.. before every ride? .. and better yet, how often do you top them off with air.. and how many pounds off of ideal pressures does it have to drop before you add air.. hmmmm ... I'm watching mine really close, seeing that I have just sealed my rims.. I check my pressures before every ride.. but I have that FOBO app, so I just have to check them In my iPhone.. after 10 days my pressures have dropped about 2.5 lbs in Both front and rear tires.. my FOBO will alarm when the pressures drop about 4 lbs. but I don't know if I will wait for the alarm to sound.. what are your thoughts..
 
I don't check my tires on every ride. But, I do kick them pretty hard before getting on the bike each day. No, I'm unable to tell the difference between 40 and 42 PSI by kicking them but I would notice if they were down significantly. Improper PSI affects the service life of the tires. Cupping of the front tires being just one issue of note. When I do check the pressure, regardless of what it is I bring them up to specs (think that's 42PSI for the PR3's).
 
Frulk_imp said:
I don't check my tires on every ride. But, I do kick them pretty hard before getting on the bike each day. No, I'm unable to tell the difference between 40 and 42 PSI by kicking them but I would notice if they were down significantly. Improper PSI affects the service life of the tires. Cupping of the front tires being just one issue of note. When I do check the pressure, regardless of what it is I bring them up to specs (think that's 42PSI for the PR3's).
(+1) I also give the tires a good kick about every second ride. I am concerned mostly about a flat that I may have inherited from the last ride. I check pressure after a large temperature change. Otherwise incredibly, my CB tires/rims somehow manage to keep pressure really well.
 
Back
Top