Shined up Exhaust Pipes

TwoBrothersBusa_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The yellow hue was starting to show it's ugly head again so i shined them up today. Turned out pretty nice.

a3e0bb7b521154c94a0a732121748e8c.jpg
 
Gee ... they look beautiful, but I hope it was raining or too cold to ride. :D
 
Thread starter
I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. The trick is the rag. I took some old cotton long sleeve shirts and cut the arms off. I wrap the rag all the way around so that it can polish the whole thing when I pull back and forth.
 
TwoBrothersBusa_imp said:
I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. The trick is the rag. I took some old cotton long sleeve shirts and cut the arms off. I wrap the rag all the way around so that it can polish the whole thing when I pull back and forth.
Great job :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have some of that polish and need to get my butt in gear and do the same thing.
 
TwoBrothersBusa_imp said:
I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. The trick is the rag. I took some old cotton long sleeve shirts and cut the arms off. I wrap the rag all the way around so that it can polish the whole thing when I pull back and forth.
I do the same thing, but with cheap Walmart socks, 10 pair for $10. I forgot to bring socks one trip to Pennsylvania. :blush:

When I got home I put them in a box in the garage to use as shop rags. I can wrap them twice around the headers and pull them back and forth to polish. They turn black from the Autosol Metal Polish and end up in garbage. But the headers are shiny and free of bugs.
 
Watching Del-Boys garage, Moonfleet41, and saw he tested some stuff called HARPIC X, Harpic 10, a kind of gell. He dribbled it on from the spray bottle and used a toothbrush to clean rust and the yellow hue fromall sorts of metals. My pipes need some attention, that for sure. Anyone else hear of this Harpic stuff?
 
Harpic products are toilet cleaning chemicals out of the U.K.?

I have seen those videos for cleaning headers. They are essentially acidic (or caustic?) products that happen to react with the stainless steel header staining. This should work, however, lots of care needs to be exercised when using it, as well as care for the surrounding environment.

- - -

Similar related discussion here.
 
Yes Harpic is a toilet cleaner !!

Works well to get the worst of the rust off if you have left the pipes for far too long, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it at all.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I think I'll try some basic Brasso first and see how it goes.
... and when you get tired, this is a great alternative:

Yoshimura Stain-Magic

The Brasso would probably go great as a finishing polish.
 
Once or twice a year I'll use the Pro Honda branded metal polish that I picked up at the local dealer. Works nicely.

50d148ff0f7bc168ed383a864590e346.gif
 
I had some dark staining on my headers (just got the bike). Mothers removed some of the staining, but none of the yellow stain. Guess I need to keep rubbing?
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
I had some dark staining on my headers (just got the bike). Mothers removed some of the staining, but none of the yellow stain. Guess I need to keep rubbing?
... and you can also search for "STAIN-Magic" in the Forum database.

It will resolve your issue with much less rubbing.
 
Back
Top