PowerDubs_imp
Road warrior
Probably the best bike Honda ever made....shame they lost their way..
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Dave_imp said:Honda's V-4s do not use hydraulic lifters.
PowerDubs_imp said:Tev62_imp said:Yes, tis so. Particularly impressed with Harley's use of a zero-maintenance hydraulic self-adjusting lifters though. That 1250 engine has bags of character. A low 5,000-mile oil service interval but maybe that is there to give the hydraulics a fighting chance.The ferret_imp said:Almost all of the manufacturers have adopted that system as the most dependable and trouble free Honda,Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph etc
I’m unfamiliar, but what is the rev limiter?
For someone like me that does not pay attention I put Harleys in the same category as the classic pushrod American cars that are perfectly happy for you to shift it 4000, 4500.
I know there are a few high-performance models of American cars that can compete with the Germans, etc. but that is a relatively recent and high cost option compared to the normal stuff.
Although I suppose for what Harley charges for the bikes they should compete and not be what they were when I was a kid.
But I would still guess with hydraulic lifters, their RPM limit is probably 7K, 75? Maybe 8K w/ a bikes smaller valves compared to cars- but I wouldn’t expect much past that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tev62_imp said:PowerDubs_imp said:Tev62_imp said:Yes, tis so. Particularly impressed with Harley's use of a zero-maintenance hydraulic self-adjusting lifters though. That 1250 engine has bags of character. A low 5,000-mile oil service interval but maybe that is there to give the hydraulics a fighting chance.The ferret_imp said:Almost all of the manufacturers have adopted that system as the most dependable and trouble free Honda,Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph etc
I’m unfamiliar, but what is the rev limiter?
For someone like me that does not pay attention I put Harleys in the same category as the classic pushrod American cars that are perfectly happy for you to shift it 4000, 4500.
I know there are a few high-performance models of American cars that can compete with the Germans, etc. but that is a relatively recent and high cost option compared to the normal stuff.
Although I suppose for what Harley charges for the bikes they should compete and not be what they were when I was a kid.
But I would still guess with hydraulic lifters, their RPM limit is probably 7K, 75? Maybe 8K w/ a bikes smaller valves compared to cars- but I wouldn’t expect much past that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m unfamiliar, but what is the rev limiter?
For someone like me that does not pay attention I put Harleys in the same category as the classic pushrod American cars that are perfectly happy for you to shift it 4000, 4500.
I know there are a few high-performance models of American cars that can compete with the Germans, etc. but that is a relatively recent and high cost option compared to the normal stuff.
Although I suppose for what Harley charges for the bikes they should compete and not be what they were when I was a kid.
But I would still guess with hydraulic lifters, their RPM limit is probably 7K, 75? Maybe 8K w/ a bikes smaller valves compared to cars- but I wouldn’t expect much past that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is actually a tasty 9500rpm and it loves being thrashed. They went for DOHC, for component lightness I suspect and Variable Valve Timing. The 150HP on tap is very top end, very unHarleylike (if that is a real word).
Tev, is it VVT or or CVVT...and on both cams, EX + INT?
peterbaron_imp said:Tev, is it VVT or or CVVT...and on both cams, EX + INT?Tev62_imp said:PowerDubs_imp said:Tev62_imp said:Yes, tis so. Particularly impressed with Harley's use of a zero-maintenance hydraulic self-adjusting lifters though. That 1250 engine has bags of character. A low 5,000-mile oil service interval but maybe that is there to give the hydraulics a fighting chance.The ferret_imp said:Almost all of the manufacturers have adopted that system as the most dependable and trouble free Honda,Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph etc
I’m unfamiliar, but what is the rev limiter?
For someone like me that does not pay attention I put Harleys in the same category as the classic pushrod American cars that are perfectly happy for you to shift it 4000, 4500.
I know there are a few high-performance models of American cars that can compete with the Germans, etc. but that is a relatively recent and high cost option compared to the normal stuff.
Although I suppose for what Harley charges for the bikes they should compete and not be what they were when I was a kid.
But I would still guess with hydraulic lifters, their RPM limit is probably 7K, 75? Maybe 8K w/ a bikes smaller valves compared to cars- but I wouldn’t expect much past that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m unfamiliar, but what is the rev limiter?
For someone like me that does not pay attention I put Harleys in the same category as the classic pushrod American cars that are perfectly happy for you to shift it 4000, 4500.
I know there are a few high-performance models of American cars that can compete with the Germans, etc. but that is a relatively recent and high cost option compared to the normal stuff.
Although I suppose for what Harley charges for the bikes they should compete and not be what they were when I was a kid.
But I would still guess with hydraulic lifters, their RPM limit is probably 7K, 75? Maybe 8K w/ a bikes smaller valves compared to cars- but I wouldn’t expect much past that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is actually a tasty 9500rpm and it loves being thrashed. They went for DOHC, for component lightness I suspect and Variable Valve Timing. The 150HP on tap is very top end, very unHarleylike (if that is a real word).
Tev, is it VVT or or CVVT...and on both cams, EX + INT?
Quoting the blurb here Computer-controlled variable valve timing (VVT) independently advances or retards intake and exhaust timing through a potential range of 40 degrees of crankshaft rotation, with the goal of broadening the powerband to deliver ample low-end torque as well as high-rpm horsepower
Then you understand the state-of-the-art and its business relevance.PowerDubs_imp said:'More' deployment?
Show me a production car that uses it now.
And no- I don't mean a small shop selling a couple hundred / few thousand..
There have been prototype for decades..
Along those lines, Ford recently announced (to the internal automotive industry, at least) that they have suspended any further developement of IC engines. I suspect they aren't the only ones.GoldOxide_imp said:Then you understand the state-of-the-art and its business relevance.PowerDubs_imp said:'More' deployment?
Show me a production car that uses it now.
And no- I don't mean a small shop selling a couple hundred / few thousand..
There have been prototype for decades..
Probably with the advent of routine production EVs, prototype investors probably backed away since anything associated with optimizing the internal combustion engine at that level is moot.