Shifts corresponding to RPM's my experience/your experience

Pterodactyl_imp said:
Rocky, Rocky, Rocky. You are a conservative rider, but like a "burst up through the gears once in a while". Mate, 'fess up, us septuagenarians are rev heads, total rev heads. :)

Cheers
Does that mean in a couple of years I have to start goosing it?
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Rocky, Rocky, Rocky. You are a conservative rider, but like a "burst up through the gears once in a while". Mate, 'fess up, us septuagenarians are rev heads, total rev heads. :)

Cheers
:rofl: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You got me! I can't pull anything over on you can I :D
The ferret_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Rocky, Rocky, Rocky. You are a conservative rider, but like a "burst up through the gears once in a while". Mate, 'fess up, us septuagenarians are rev heads, total rev heads. :)

Cheers
Does that mean in a couple of years I have to start goosing it?
Does that mean in a couple of years I have to start goosing it?
Well........I may be 78, but I ain't slow :P
YMMV :)
 
My previous two bikes were a ZRX and a ZX12. I rarely go above 3rd gear, unless there are cops around. Most of the time I am running the snot out of this bike.
 
To each his own. As long as you don't bog the engine down you're good to go. Personally, I "take a trip" to the redline on a regular basis. :thumbsup:
 
There is a lot to where and when to shift.

Control of a motorcycle is superior in the higher RPM range. Especially true with an inline four with a racing heritage which describes the CB1100. Engine braking and ready acceleration are much more effective in the upper half of the tachometer.

Roll on or off the gas at 2500 RPM, not much happens. Bike is sluggish to respond. Do the same at 6000, the bike is responsive and lively.

Anyone rides in heavy urban traffic, this is a must-have skill set.

So of course, depending on anyone's riding style or likes and dislikes the bike accommodates a very wide variety of folks. It's very flexible. The deeper one gets into the performance of the bike or demands of the riding environment, the more the bike may have to deliver to save one's hide.

So there is something to be said for starting to ride on a small bike where a rider is forced to use all the power just to get around in traffic, and most or all of the brakes to get stopped. Then that high RPM range is not so mysterious and forbidding, it becomes very useful and familiar.

Speaking more of this, Reg Pridmore has explained for decades that where we want to be, especially in traffic or where the unexpected is likely, is in the upper third of the rev range. He was speaking of sport bikes and particularly inline fours, but the idea is to keep the engine in the power so it will be there if/when needed.

Reg's son Jason explains advanced shifting very well and plainly and there are specific techniques for rapid, effective shifting at high RPM that can be learned, but it takes time.

It's good to know our CB1100 responds extremely well to these high-performance techniques and is a joy to ride that way, for those who like that kind of thing. ;-)
 
Maybe you can ride like that where you live, but that is just unrealistic where I live. Rural hilly curvy country roads with a max 55 mph speed limit. The upper third of the rev range even in first gear would be exceeding the speed limit and I'm certainly not going to ride around in first gear all day just so that I can use compression braking. Personally I will use the excellent brakes the CB is blessed with. Out here in the country, come around a blind curve at high rpms in any gear and you just might nail a farmers combine, the back end of his pickup truck or a deer very hard, and any evasive action would most likely put you in a ditch, a corn field or the trunk of a 4' wide 75 foot tall oak tree. Racer boys have a short life expectancy out here, we don't see a whole lot of them.

and again, that's not saying the bike isn't capable of it, because it is, just not the right environment for it in my area of the country.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
There is a lot to where and when to shift.

Control of a motorcycle is superior in the higher RPM range. Especially true with an inline four with a racing heritage which describes the CB1100. Engine braking and ready acceleration are much more effective in the upper half of the tachometer.

Roll on or off the gas at 2500 RPM, not much happens. Bike is sluggish to respond. Do the same at 6000, the bike is responsive and lively.

Anyone rides in heavy urban traffic, this is a must-have skill set.

So of course, depending on anyone's riding style or likes and dislikes the bike accommodates a very wide variety of folks. It's very flexible. The deeper one gets into the performance of the bike or demands of the riding environment, the more the bike may have to deliver to save one's hide.

So there is something to be said for starting to ride on a small bike where a rider is forced to use all the power just to get around in traffic, and most or all of the brakes to get stopped. Then that high RPM range is not so mysterious and forbidding, it becomes very useful and familiar.

Speaking more of this, Reg Pridmore has explained for decades that where we want to be, especially in traffic or where the unexpected is likely, is in the upper third of the rev range. He was speaking of sport bikes and particularly inline fours, but the idea is to keep the engine in the power so it will be there if/when needed.

Reg's son Jason explains advanced shifting very well and plainly and there are specific techniques for rapid, effective shifting at high RPM that can be learned, but it takes time.

It's good to know our CB1100 responds extremely well to these high-performance techniques and is a joy to ride that way, for those who like that kind of thing. ;-)
As anything else it's a matter of eyesight. For me the CB responses well enough even at these revs. And even lower revs than these.

Of course the Honda accelerates like a tiger who's been stepped on it's tail at higher revs. But this is not my normal riding style,
'cause I'm mostly not in the mood for this kind of driving. On the other side it helps me to keep my driving license and it saves a lot of money....

But each fool is different and in the house of the Lord there are many rooms. :P

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
There is a lot to where and when to shift.

Control of a motorcycle is superior in the higher RPM range. Especially true with an inline four with a racing heritage which describes the CB1100. Engine braking and ready acceleration are much more effective in the upper half of the tachometer.

Roll on or off the gas at 2500 RPM, not much happens. Bike is sluggish to respond. Do the same at 6000, the bike is responsive and lively.

Anyone rides in heavy urban traffic, this is a must-have skill set.

So of course, depending on anyone's riding style or likes and dislikes the bike accommodates a very wide variety of folks. It's very flexible. The deeper one gets into the performance of the bike or demands of the riding environment, the more the bike may have to deliver to save one's hide.

So there is something to be said for starting to ride on a small bike where a rider is forced to use all the power just to get around in traffic, and most or all of the brakes to get stopped. Then that high RPM range is not so mysterious and forbidding, it becomes very useful and familiar.

Speaking more of this, Reg Pridmore has explained for decades that where we want to be, especially in traffic or where the unexpected is likely, is in the upper third of the rev range. He was speaking of sport bikes and particularly inline fours, but the idea is to keep the engine in the power so it will be there if/when needed.

Reg's son Jason explains advanced shifting very well and plainly and there are specific techniques for rapid, effective shifting at high RPM that can be learned, but it takes time.

It's good to know our CB1100 responds extremely well to these high-performance techniques and is a joy to ride that way, for those who like that kind of thing. ;-)
As anything else it's a matter of eyesight. For me the CB responses well enough even at these revs. And even lower revs than these.

Of course the Honda accelerates like a tiger who's been stepped on it's tail at higher revs. But this is not my normal riding style,
'cause I'm mostly not in the mood for this kind of driving. On the other side it helps me to keep my driving license and it saves a lot of money....

But each fool is different and in the house of the Lord there are many rooms. :P

Wisedrum
As anything else it's a matter of eyesight. For me the CB responses well enough even at these revs. And even lower revs than these.

Of course the Honda accelerates like a tiger who's been stepped on it's tail at higher revs. But this is not my normal riding style,
'cause I'm mostly not in the mood for this kind of driving.

Wisedrum I am always in the mood for that kind of riding. Very much in the minority on this forum. Not hard to read the sentiment meter, anyone riding hard is a fool and needs his eyesight checked! lol
 
Lol ... Plenty of riders in both camps on this board
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol ... Plenty of riders in both camps on this board
True. Not only that but a number of riders who can ride in a variety of "styles", depending on the requirements of the moment.

Cheers
True. Not only that but a number of riders who can ride in a variety of "styles", depending on the requirements of the moment.

Cheers Yep. I just think to answer the OP is to just lay out how much potential the bike has and what anyone does with it or not is up to the rider. That's the deal with this bike, it's not just a cruiser or some kind of "slow" bike, it can be ridden darn hard and it works well in that role, it has a really good heritage of performance.

The only kind of riding I endorse is the kind where you don't fall down.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol ... Plenty of riders in both camps on this board
True. Not only that but a number of riders who can ride in a variety of "styles", depending on the requirements of the moment.

Cheers
True. Not only that but a number of riders who can ride in a variety of "styles", depending on the requirements of the moment.

Cheers Yep. I just think to answer the OP is to just lay out how much potential the bike has and what anyone does with it or not is up to the rider. That's the deal with this bike, it's not just a cruiser or some kind of "slow" bike, it can be ridden darn hard and it works well in that role, it has a really good heritage of performance.

The only kind of riding I endorse is the kind where you don't fall down.
This is kind of my rule to drive a motorbike, it's you who stop the bike and then leave it.
Not the other way round.
I always try to keep up with this rule.

Wisedrum
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
You paid for those RPM and HP why not use them lol

Cannot imagine shifting below 3500/4000 RPM, prefer to be over 5K

Many bikes are underutilized. CB may have "only" 86 HP but it can all be used. Power can get one out of trouble as well as into. My unflashed ZX-10R is running about 170 HP at the rear wheel. I try to use that when I can but truth be told the CB is just as fun in its own way. Very exciting and responsive 6-8K and even a bit into the red once in a while...tach overreads anyway.

Here again I have seen many say the CB1100 is a good beginner bike but I very much disagree. Brakes are very powerful, quite heavy, and very capable. CB300, or maybe CB500 is a good beginner bike, with ABS lol
I would have thought we do use that paid for HP at low revs. It surely allows the high torque that's available and thus the pull at lower speeds in higher gears. Could never short shift on the less powerful machines I had when a teenager, they'd have just died !!
But of course, even though in the low rev camp, we all let it rip when we feel the need. As has been said, that's one of the virtues of the CB :shy:
 
Most of my riding is in either 4th but more often in 5th gear at 40-50 mph off the freeways west and northwest of the Boston metro area. My rpm under most conditions is between 2000 and 3500. However I sometimes get on Route 2 west to get out to nicer roads/scenery more quickly and to get away from the super type A's driving supersized SUVs and other "status" 4 wheeled vehicles. The drivers west and northwest beyond route 495 are much more polite and civilized. Route 2 has a 55 mph speed limit but the average speed is much higher. The on and off ramps can be very short so I do accelerate hard to get up to traffic speeds in 2nd or 3rd gear. I have no idea what the tach reads since I'm focused on merging into traffic but I admit, it's a rush to say the least. :)
 
Glen, thanks for posting. There really is no right or wrong, everyone has there own style and it depends on the mood and location.

I tend to be at a higher RPM 4-6K when I'm in heavy traffic or merging only because I want to be in a stronger power band when some cager wants a piece of my leg. Country roads enjoying the scenery 5th @ 55 is very comfortable. if there are a lot of driveways and intersections 3rd is my go to gear again to be in the power band.

You have to pick and know your spots to get on it, I have a few 1/4 mile on ramps where I'll ring it out, sometimes I'll get off an exit just to get back on:P
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Well, I don't get an elephant stamp for that 'cause I've put the CB down once. Trying not to do it again though. :)

Cheers
Yes, well, they say there are two kinds of riders, no? I've thrown it down the road three times, all three in the first few years of riding (three crashes in seven years). All were solo accidents, absolutely my own fault. Last one was in 1990. I would not like to add to that total. We hopefully learn a few things along the way.;)
JustCruising_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
You paid for those RPM and HP why not use them lol

Cannot imagine shifting below 3500/4000 RPM, prefer to be over 5K

Many bikes are underutilized. CB may have "only" 86 HP but it can all be used. Power can get one out of trouble as well as into. My unflashed ZX-10R is running about 170 HP at the rear wheel. I try to use that when I can but truth be told the CB is just as fun in its own way. Very exciting and responsive 6-8K and even a bit into the red once in a while...tach overreads anyway.

Here again I have seen many say the CB1100 is a good beginner bike but I very much disagree. Brakes are very powerful, quite heavy, and very capable. CB300, or maybe CB500 is a good beginner bike, with ABS lol
I would have thought we do use that paid for HP at low revs. It surely allows the high torque that's available and thus the pull at lower speeds in higher gears. Could never short shift on the less powerful machines I had when a teenager, they'd have just died !!
But of course, even though in the low rev camp, we all let it rip when we feel the need. As has been said, that's one of the virtues of the CB :shy:
I would have thought we do use that paid for HP at low revs. It surely allows the high torque that's available and thus the pull at lower speeds in higher gears. Could never short shift on the less powerful machines I had when a teenager, they'd have just died !!
But of course, even though in the low rev camp, we all let it rip when we feel the need. As has been said, that's one of the virtues of the CB :shy: LOL that's just kind of a joke but food for thought, the bike does have a lot to offer. Let's see what the CB1100 is great at:

Profiling - yep, it's a very photogenic bike and a conversation starter for sure. "How long did it take you to restore it?" "What year is that?" We have all heard those questions, lol. So that's for your low-revving guys, tooling about town and cruising the local strip.

Touring - heck yeah, great engine, amenable to saddles and fairings and luggage. Not too heavy, not too light. Air-cooled, real simple and from what I've experienced so far, very reliable and durable. Chugs along all day and decent mileage, too.

Sporty - affirmative. Chip Beck's handlebar mod, Conti Road Attack 2 CR's, decent shocks, and some time spent with setup, and a good rider can really scratch on this bike. Big old tractable engine and great brakes. Yes, it likes the redline.

I did see one guy at a track day with a 2013 CB1100, it rained so I put my sporty bike in the trailer but this guy rode the whole day out there. Looked like he was just tickled pink over the experience.

I have ridden in plenty of darn rain over the years so was content to sit back and watch. Quite a few riders fell down but better to learn on the track where there's an ambulance.

I know the ferret was joking when he was saying those of us who run redline are about to crash into a combine, a deer, or an old farmer's pickup lol, but there is something to be said for getting to know the bike a little on an open, empty stretch of familar road. Not top speed runs but just explore the braking and acceleration with care and due diligence in the first couple of gears.

BTW I grew up in the Midwest slopping hogs, hauling hay, driving old farmer's pick 'em-up trucks, tractors and such. So I resemble that remark.:rofl:
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Well, I don't get an elephant stamp for that 'cause I've put the CB down once. Trying not to do it again though. :)

Cheers
Yes, well, they say there are two kinds of riders, no? I've thrown it down the road three times, all three in the first few years of riding (three crashes in seven years). All were solo accidents, absolutely my own fault. Last one was in 1990. I would not like to add to that total. We hopefully learn a few things along the way.;)
JustCruising_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
You paid for those RPM and HP why not use them lol

Cannot imagine shifting below 3500/4000 RPM, prefer to be over 5K

Many bikes are underutilized. CB may have "only" 86 HP but it can all be used. Power can get one out of trouble as well as into. My unflashed ZX-10R is running about 170 HP at the rear wheel. I try to use that when I can but truth be told the CB is just as fun in its own way. Very exciting and responsive 6-8K and even a bit into the red once in a while...tach overreads anyway.

Here again I have seen many say the CB1100 is a good beginner bike but I very much disagree. Brakes are very powerful, quite heavy, and very capable. CB300, or maybe CB500 is a good beginner bike, with ABS lol
I would have thought we do use that paid for HP at low revs. It surely allows the high torque that's available and thus the pull at lower speeds in higher gears. Could never short shift on the less powerful machines I had when a teenager, they'd have just died !!
But of course, even though in the low rev camp, we all let it rip when we feel the need. As has been said, that's one of the virtues of the CB :shy:
I would have thought we do use that paid for HP at low revs. It surely allows the high torque that's available and thus the pull at lower speeds in higher gears. Could never short shift on the less powerful machines I had when a teenager, they'd have just died !!
But of course, even though in the low rev camp, we all let it rip when we feel the need. As has been said, that's one of the virtues of the CB :shy: LOL that's just kind of a joke but food for thought, the bike does have a lot to offer. Let's see what the CB1100 is great at:

Profiling - yep, it's a very photogenic bike and a conversation starter for sure. "How long did it take you to restore it?" "What year is that?" We have all heard those questions, lol. So that's for your low-revving guys, tooling about town and cruising the local strip.

Touring - heck yeah, great engine, amenable to saddles and fairings and luggage. Not too heavy, not too light. Air-cooled, real simple and from what I've experienced so far, very reliable and durable. Chugs along all day and decent mileage, too.

Sporty - affirmative. Chip Beck's handlebar mod, Conti Road Attack 2 CR's, decent shocks, and some time spent with setup, and a good rider can really scratch on this bike. Big old tractable engine and great brakes. Yes, it likes the redline.

I did see one guy at a track day with a 2013 CB1100, it rained so I put my sporty bike in the trailer but this guy rode the whole day out there. Looked like he was just tickled pink over the experience.

I have ridden in plenty of darn rain over the years so was content to sit back and watch. Quite a few riders fell down but better to learn on the track where there's an ambulance.

I know the ferret was joking when he was saying those of us who run redline are about to crash into a combine, a deer, or an old farmer's pickup lol, but there is something to be said for getting to know the bike a little on an open, empty stretch of familar road. Not top speed runs but just explore the braking and acceleration with care and due diligence in the first couple of gears.

BTW I grew up in the Midwest slopping hogs, hauling hay, driving old farmer's pick 'em-up trucks, tractors and such. So I resemble that remark.:rofl:
The Ferret can defend himself of course, but I don't think he said that at all. Rather he said:

Quote:Out here in the country, come around a blind curve at high rpms in any gear and you just might nail a farmers combine, the back end of his pickup truck or a deer very hard, and any evasive action would most likely put you in a ditch, a corn field or the trunk of a 4' wide 75 foot tall oak tree.
My bolding. He was referring to the area where he rides; not to riders who run at the redline who may well do so in environments where there are no such hazards.
 
Back
Top