Shifts corresponding to RPM's my experience/your experience

glenridgerich_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'd like to get some feedback from my CB1100 Forum Compadres. First, my experience: When I ride my bike, I tend to shift around 2,500-2,800 RPM's...Meaning, for example when I shift from 3rd to 4th I'm generally at around there. I tend to do it by feel...I sort of sense the bike wants the relief it gets by upshifting, plus I'm generally moving faster so it all seems to make sense and feel right. So why am I asking? It's because I'm always hearing about red-line this and high RPM's that, yet I rarely get my RPM's above about 3,300. I do not mean to sound naïve, but am I doing something wrong? Should I be running 6,000 RPM's in 5th gear? Educate me!
 
Just my 2 cents but that's pretty much the way I drive mine too. OK, there are times when I wind it out a bit. But hey.

modmaster
 
here's my opinion which I just typed today in another thread

I'm probably one of the more conservative riders on the board. For the most part my bike lives in the 45-60 mph zone, and a lot of that, even at 45 mph, is in 6 th gear (between 2500 and 3500 rpms). My normal shift point is around 3000-3200 rpms, and my bike has never been over 5000 rpms, and never anywhere near redline ..... but there is no problem running this engine to redline, either occasionally, or all the time for that matter. Engines are designed to run within a certain " range " and the range on this bike is from 2500-8000 rpms. It's ok to run this bike in any gear between those rpms (although it is electronically rpm limited in certain gears meaning you will not be able to run it at 8000 rpms in certain gears) but other than that, it will not harm this motor to run it anywhere between those rpms and it's not " better" for it to run it at any given rpm than another rpm in that range

BTW that's how I ride my ST 1300 too
 
Those are some low shift points, boys! I tend to short shift the CB in the lower gears, as well, usually around 3500 rpm, as I'm very sensitive to the tingling vibration that comes on around 4K RPM. In more spirited riding in the twisties , I'll rev out more. I've had the bike up to the redline, but over 7 k, it's not really doing all that much except making a nice sound. I don't enjoy the short shifting mode of propulsion, but it does seem to be the most appropriate way the utilize the CB's abundant and flexible power band.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If i'm in the city. I'm usually going between 40-70kph and usually in second gear for that entire speed range at around 3200-4000 rpm. I mostly do this to actually have some roll-on power in case I need to escape a traffic situation, where braking won't work (e.g., blind-spot look/swerve). I usually run to redline when merging on the highway, just for fun and then click up to 5th to cruise.

I don't find that revving this bike out (within reason) really effects the gas mileage that much, and I still average around 54mpg on most long highway trips. One of my favourite things about adding the full exhaust and intake mods isn't so much the horsepower increase, but how much more free-revving the engine is, especially at the top end -- makes the engine much more flexible and fun to wring up and down.
 
Capo_imp said:
Those are some low shift points, boys! I tend to short shift the CB in the lower gears, as well, usually around 3500 rpm, as I'm very sensitive to the tingling vibration that comes on around 4K RPM. In more spirited riding in the twisties , I'll rev out more. I've had the bike up to the redline, but over 7 k, it's not really doing all that much except making a nice sound. I don't enjoy the short shifting mode of propulsion, but it does seem to be the most appropriate way the utilize the CB's abundant and flexible power band.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's about my style. If I'm just cruising on the straight I'm happy with the 100kph/3400rpm combo but I don't like the rpm dropping below that for any period of time. Similar to Capo, in the twisties I keep a minimum of 4000rpm. I like the engine braking above this and any vibration is of no concern to me.

Cheers
 
kmoney_imp said:
If i'm in the city. I'm usually going between 40-70kph and usually in second gear for that entire speed range at around 3200-4000 rpm. I mostly do this to actually have some roll-on power in case I need to escape a traffic situation, where braking won't work (e.g., blind-spot look/swerve). I usually run to redline when merging on the highway, just for fun and then click up to 5th to cruise.

I don't find that revving this bike out (within reason) really effects the gas mileage that much, and I still average around 54mpg on most long highway trips. One of my favourite things about adding the full exhaust and intake mods isn't so much the horsepower increase, but how much more free-revving the engine is, especially at the top end -- makes the engine much more flexible and fun to wring up and down.
kmoney, how do you measure mpg in Canada? US or Imperial gallons?
 
I was told by a mechanic friend of mine that you should ride/drive as you expect your bike to perform.. Basically if you short shift all the time, that's fine.. However, if you short shift all the time and once in a great moon, you decide to wring it out, it might be fine but it might not perform as you expect.. Machines show wear on how they are used, if you exceed what it expects on a regular basis.....

Following this idea.. I try to vary how any vehicle is run. Around town will I short shift or take it easy.. However, when I have the opportunity I will wind it out, just to balance things out (Staintune makes this easy, love the new sounds)
 
Cormanus_imp said:
kmoney_imp said:
If i'm in the city. I'm usually going between 40-70kph and usually in second gear for that entire speed range at around 3200-4000 rpm. I mostly do this to actually have some roll-on power in case I need to escape a traffic situation, where braking won't work (e.g., blind-spot look/swerve). I usually run to redline when merging on the highway, just for fun and then click up to 5th to cruise.

I don't find that revving this bike out (within reason) really effects the gas mileage that much, and I still average around 54mpg on most long highway trips. One of my favourite things about adding the full exhaust and intake mods isn't so much the horsepower increase, but how much more free-revving the engine is, especially at the top end -- makes the engine much more flexible and fun to wring up and down.
kmoney, how do you measure mpg in Canada? US or Imperial gallons?
kmoney, how do you measure mpg in Canada? US or Imperial gallons?
We use L/100KMS or imperial gallons, so my figure above would be around 46 MPG in US gallons.
 
oooooo! just what i've been thinking about all day today while riding. 100 mile day. mine was the other thread The Ferret was referencing in which i posted a picture of the user manual's description of shift points.

glenridgerich_imp said:
I'd like to get some feedback from my CB1100 Forum Compadres. First, my experience: When I ride my bike, I tend to shift around 2,500-2,800 RPM's...Meaning, for example when I shift from 3rd to 4th I'm generally at around there. I tend to do it by feel...I sort of sense the bike wants the relief it gets by upshifting, plus I'm generally moving faster so it all seems to make sense and feel right. So why am I asking? It's because I'm always hearing about red-line this and high RPM's that, yet I rarely get my RPM's above about 3,300. I do not mean to sound naïve, but am I doing something wrong? Should I be running 6,000 RPM's in 5th gear? Educate me!
my feelings exactly! i want to feel the power bands and shift according what the situation dictates. which for me tends to be in the 5000 range? maybe 6's? but as i stated in the other thread, that's what i'm used to and it may not be the better way to ride this machine. today was spent trying to get that little mpg dealie to go up in numbers. i don't think i ever got above 4000rpm. and man did that feel weird! not right for me. but i wanted to see if i can hit all of these fantastical numbers i keep seeing posted. like 60 mpg! posted by a rider who kept it under 4000 to do so. i got it up to 46 and i guess it'll keep changing until i finish the tank.

Hondahawkrider_imp said:
I was told by a mechanic friend of mine that you should ride/drive as you expect your bike to perform.. Basically if you short shift all the time, that's fine.. However, if you short shift all the time and once in a great moon, you decide to wring it out, it might be fine but it might not perform as you expect.. Machines show wear on how they are used, if you exceed what it expects on a regular basis.....

Following this idea.. I try to vary how any vehicle is run. Around town will I short shift or take it easy.. However, when I have the opportunity I will wind it out, just to balance things out (Staintune makes this easy, love the new sounds)
HHHMMM, sounds somewhat like what i've heard about, he he he, "blowing the crud out" eh Ferret? ;) so, if i putt around all day short shifting and playing mini-golf, my motor won't be as happy compared to winding it out on a regular basis?...Facinating

-Kirk Out
 
I'm kinda with Ferret on this one. I find that I shift at about 3000 rpm, maybe 3500-4000 when accelerating up an on-ramp. I've certainly not seen the north side of 5000. Redline? Nope. Not on any of my bikes.
 
You paid for those RPM and HP why not use them lol

Cannot imagine shifting below 3500/4000 RPM, prefer to be over 5K

Many bikes are underutilized. CB may have "only" 86 HP but it can all be used. Power can get one out of trouble as well as into. My unflashed ZX-10R is running about 170 HP at the rear wheel. I try to use that when I can but truth be told the CB is just as fun in its own way. Very exciting and responsive 6-8K and even a bit into the red once in a while...tach overreads anyway.

Here again I have seen many say the CB1100 is a good beginner bike but I very much disagree. Brakes are very powerful, quite heavy, and very capable. CB300, or maybe CB500 is a good beginner bike, with ABS lol
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
You paid for those RPM and HP why not use them lol

Cannot imagine shifting below 3500/4000 RPM, prefer to be over 5K

Many bikes are underutilized. CB may have "only" 86 HP but it can all be used. Power can get one out of trouble as well as into. My unflashed ZX-10R is running about 170 HP at the rear wheel. I try to use that when I can but truth be told the CB is just as fun in its own way. Very exciting and responsive 6-8K and even a bit into the red once in a while...tach overreads anyway.

Here again I have seen many say the CB1100 is a good beginner bike but I very much disagree. Brakes are very powerful, quite heavy, and very capable. CB300, or maybe CB500 is a good beginner bike, with ABS lol
Yeah, I think the weight of the CB automatically DQ's it from being a first bike -- the power would never get someone into trouble, but tucking a front wheel from braking too hard or low speed drops/tipovers could easily be a problem for a new rider.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
You paid for those RPM and HP why not use them lol

Cannot imagine shifting below 3500/4000 RPM, prefer to be over 5K

Many bikes are underutilized. CB may have "only" 86 HP but it can all be used. Power can get one out of trouble as well as into. My unflashed ZX-10R is running about 170 HP at the rear wheel. I try to use that when I can but truth be told the CB is just as fun in its own way. Very exciting and responsive 6-8K and even a bit into the red once in a while...tach overreads anyway.

Here again I have seen many say the CB1100 is a good beginner bike but I very much disagree. Brakes are very powerful, quite heavy, and very capable. CB300, or maybe CB500 is a good beginner bike, with ABS lol
And again, nothing wrong with that if that's your chosen riding style. The motor was designed to do that too
 
i take mine to the top just about every time i ride it haha, just can't resist. I don't abuse it, but i get my moneys worth, that's for sure. Its too smooth, it just gets away from me :)
 
The engine seems to want to shift at 3000 rpms, and the Japanese engineers/designers held that range to be of a special feel to the rider.

But hang on tight when you wind it up, the motor WILL surprise you
 
Somewhat like ferret, I'm a pretty conservative rider too. I don't pay that much attention to RPM when I shift. I shift all my bikes by sound and feel which comes with experience.
I only use four-lane roads to get from A to B, otherwise I like to cruise at slower speeds on our winding coastal roads; smell the fresh ocean air and enjoy the scenery.
I have never red-lined a bike, and don't see any point in that, but that's not to say that I don't enjoy a burst of speed up through the gears once in a while :D
 
Rocky, Rocky, Rocky. You are a conservative rider, but like a "burst up through the gears once in a while". Mate, 'fess up, us septuagenarians are rev heads, total rev heads. :)

Cheers
 
Redlining in 2. gear (5 gear tranny) pushes you already to nearly 130 km/h (80 mph),. That's quite fast in the twisties. How do I know? Well...
 
Back
Top