Shifting issues

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
My bike seems to have some issues shifting. On getting in the freeway from 5-6th gear the bike made a clunk noise and the gear indicator was at blank "-". Then when i got off i was shifting from 2-3rd and it felt like it went to neutral. I constanlty hit nuetral from 1-2 too more often over the past month.

Does this mean I'm overdue for a chain adjustment or something bigger?
 
Different boots? Shift positively don't be lazy with the toe raises. The --- you saw means it wasn't shifted properly. It's in the owners manual I think.

One other member complained about same thing, but was wearing different boots. No more complaints after shifting positively.

Easy to check chain adjustment.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
My bike seems to have some issues shifting. On getting in the freeway from 5-6th gear the bike made a clunk noise and the gear indicator was at blank "-". Then when i got off i was shifting from 2-3rd and it felt like it went to neutral. I constanlty hit nuetral from 1-2 too more often over the past month.

Does this mean I'm overdue for a chain adjustment or something bigger?
Did you change oil weight, or brand?
 
Thread starter
DGShannon_imp said:
holy666diver_imp said:
My bike seems to have some issues shifting. On getting in the freeway from 5-6th gear the bike made a clunk noise and the gear indicator was at blank "-". Then when i got off i was shifting from 2-3rd and it felt like it went to neutral. I constanlty hit nuetral from 1-2 too more often over the past month.

Does this mean I'm overdue for a chain adjustment or something bigger?
Did you change oil weight, or brand?
Did you change oil weight, or brand?
Nope just had my dealer change the oil at 600. I'm at 2200 miles right now
 
I agree with Ferret. Sometimes the missed shift is not caused when shifting up, but because the toes on your boots are so thick they don't allow the shifter to return to its normal position. I like my shifter kinda low, so I have to be careful what boots I wear when riding. My Merrill's are best. But some "real" riding boots have big toes & affect the shifting. Try wearing bunny slippers. Doesn't matter if they work, I just want to see photos of a guy riding a bike with bunny slippers. Rocket.
 
I don't want to make this into an oil thread but I had a shifting issue with my '13 CB from the start. The shift from 4th to 5th would sometimes get a false neutral and generally felt stiff compared with how smoothly it shifted in other gears. This condition continued past the first oil change with Honda synthetic 10W-30. I had a similar issue with a Triumph Tiger a few years back that was cured by a change to Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. Next oil change on the CB I switched to the Shell T6 and voila, shifting issue was cured. I'm about to change oil again and am switching back to the Honda 10W-30 to see if the shifting issue returns. If the shifting problem does not recur I will conclude that it was simply a break-in issue.
 
I have problems with my big Sidi adventure boots. Looking for something else (Forma?) but I like them so much I'm not looking real hard. :)
 
Meant to add this but rode out to lunch to meet my brother. There is an adjustment on the shifter, 2 lock nuts, and a rod. The shifter can be moved up or down to suit your needs.
 
Kind of off topic, but how do you suppose Robocop was able to shift his bike in the latest movie?

His feet are not very flexible and he had the most rear-set pegs I've ever seen on a bike (short of salt flat speed racers). Did anyone notice if it had a DCT tranny?
 
I have noticed this on my CB here...and with other Japanese bikes in years past.

In my case, it's not shifting UP but DOWN. Started doing this at about 400 miles. If I downshift at higher speeds, it seems to be fine; but if I idle up to a light and start running the gears down at about 20...I have issues.

Letting the clutch out and putting some torque on the input shaft gets the gearbox to pop all the way into the gear. Hope it's not trashed; or if it is, that it hurries up and fails before the warranty runs out.
 
My six speed occasionally doesn't like to downshift unless the bike is moving.

If I forget to shift all the way down to first at a stop, especially in a panic braking situation, it often will not allow me to shift into first unless I rock the bike or roll it forward a bit.

I've had to leave a few intersections slipping the clutch in either second or third gear.
 
Mine had a break-in period where shifting was rough. My switch to Amsoil and the subsequent break-in greatly improved the shifting. Your results may vary.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
My six speed occasionally doesn't like to downshift unless the bike is moving.

If I forget to shift all the way down to first at a stop, especially in a panic braking situation, it often will not allow me to shift into first unless I rock the bike or roll it forward a bit.

I've had to leave a few intersections slipping the clutch in either second or third gear.
Gumby if you come to that situation again, just let out the clutch until you can feel it engage a bit, then quickly pull the clutch in, and you can continue down shifting. No need to slip the clutch.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
My six speed occasionally doesn't like to downshift unless the bike is moving.

If I forget to shift all the way down to first at a stop, especially in a panic braking situation, it often will not allow me to shift into first unless I rock the bike or roll it forward a bit.

I've had to leave a few intersections slipping the clutch in either second or third gear.
Gumby if you come to that situation again, just let out the clutch until you can feel it engage a bit, then quickly pull the clutch in, and you can continue down shifting. No need to slip the clutch.
Thanks! I'll give that a try as soon as the weather permits me to put the bike back on the road after it's winter hibernation. ;)
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I have noticed this on my CB here...and with other Japanese bikes in years past.

In my case, it's not shifting UP but DOWN. Started doing this at about 400 miles. If I downshift at higher speeds, it seems to be fine; but if I idle up to a light and start running the gears down at about 20...I have issues.

Letting the clutch out and putting some torque on the input shaft gets the gearbox to pop all the way into the gear. Hope it's not trashed; or if it is, that it hurries up and fails before the warranty runs out.
It's not trashed. That's normal behavior for this bike. It seems particularly sensitive to downshifting from the higher gears when slowing to a stop. Whenever I find myself in that situation and I'm not getting a downshift, I bump the clutch to the friction point and that does the trick.

My CB750 is similar, but not quite as sensitive. It'll keep downshifting until the bike slows to around 5 mph or less. The CB11 seems hesitant under 10 mph.
 
I put Kury grips on my new 1100 and quickly had down shifting problems. A change to a lower number on the clutch handle dial solved the problem.

Been shifting motorcycles since 1980.
 
When downshifting through gears you have to clear meaning don't come to a stop in 2nd or third gear. Let each gear have a positive downshift until in second than go to neutral before you stop. No tranny likes to shift from 5 (or 6th) to 4th or 3rd with the same clutch pull. The tranny's today are much better than the past but still require you clear synchros.

Think of riding a bicycle, when you shift you have to be pedaling in order to get a positive shift, same goes for a motorcycle you have to be moving. Trucks often have to double clutch to synch the tranny.
 
No synchros in bikes trannys, and no harm in shifting down through the gears at idle or low engine speeds, but chances of gear dogs engaging are not so good in the lower gears - let the clutch out a little, shaft speeds will change, and the gear dogs can engage. Never stomp on the gear lever.
 
I agree along the line of what rocket said but for a different reason. Since all 3 of your described missed shifts are on upshifts, its very likely your footwear. Softer shoes or boots or sneakers are not good. You feel the soft material compress, and you think your foot, and hence, your shifter is moving more than it is, and you think you moved the shifter enough, and ease up prematurely. Make quick and firm movements. Don't baby it.
 
Back
Top