Selling my VFR800

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
It is with a heavy heart that I have listed my VFR800 for sale. I don't expect anyone on here to be interested. Just needed to share the sad news with my motorcycling brothers who know the pain of saying farewell to a beloved motorcycle. The sad reality is that my wife and I are saving to buy a home and paying down debt. Most days, the VFR sits quietly attached to a battery tender and I spend all of my two wheel time on the CB. As difficult as it is to say goodbye, it makes the most financial sense for us. If you do happen to know someone in Southern California who is interested in a VFR800 in great condition, shoot me out a private message and I'll be in touch. Otherwise, help me say farewell to a beautiful motorcycle:

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/DSC6977-L.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/09182014.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/08.02.2014%20Hwy%2094.jpg.html]
 
Commiserations, brother. A sad day for you. She's a very beautiful thing.

I suppose the only positive is that she may find a good home and be ridden regularly which, after all, is what they are for.
 
That is a beauty. As a former VFR owner, this reasonates with me as well. Watching someone else ride off on your bike is a very difficult thing.
 
That's one gorgeous VFR MG and I know it pains you to sell it. My wife sold her beloved KZ650 35 years ago so we could put a down payment on a house. Having our first house made it all worthwhile.
 
What a shame. That is one gorgeous motorcycle. If you saw the old school ride thread, I sold that bike for a deposit on our first house.
 
Saying goodbye to a close friend is never easy, in 20 years you may wish you still had her... Been there, too many times to count!
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone. Your kind words provide much needed support. I got a message late last night from an interested buyer but, unfortunately, his offer was too low. I suppose I'll get a number of those.

I know you're right and that when we're sitting in our new home, after all is said and done, the happiness will outweigh the regret of having let the bike go.

Stichill_imp said:
What model year is it? Is it the one in the parking deck with white wheels?
It's a 2007 and, yes, it's the one in the parking deck (and all the photos). The photos in motion were taken before I had the wheels powder coated.
 
Thread starter
And she's sold. At asking price too. A guy is actually flying out from Florida in a couple weeks and then riding it home (in stages). I got a deposit from him via PayPal and spoke to him on the phone. Seems like a good guy. I'm going to clean and lube the chain for him. Maybe even throw in a new battery since he's riding it home and the current battery is 3.5 years old. I'd hate for it to die on him along the way. Like Cormanus said, it seems it'll be going to a good home.
 
As someone who has let a couple of bikes go for similar financial reasons over 40 some years of riding, I can understand your bittersweet situation. You're doing the right thing for your family. There will be other loves (bikewise) in your future.
 
Thread starter
Thanks redbirds and Classic. I know it's really going to hit me when I give it a good cleaning this weekend. Funny how attached we get to machines. There is so much more to a motorcycle than its mechanical parts.
 
Maybe you could ask the new owner to join the forum and post photos and a report of his trip home. Or maybe not if it would be too painful.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Maybe you could ask the new owner to join the forum and post photos and a report of his trip home. Or maybe not if it would be too painful.
The thought crossed my mind. I don't know that I want to see photos of his cross country trip on MY motorcycle though. I'm convinced that I'll eventually regret selling it as I already have a tinge of regret but have convinced myself that the pros outweigh the cons. I think I'll just ask him for a follow up email on how things went.
 
You know, you just look forward. I have had many bikes I had pangs of regret after selling, but there is always a next bike, a bike that could turn out to be your all time favorite, like the CB 1100 has for me. Consider I sold a gen 1 FZ1 that was one of my all time favorites ( so much I bought 2 of them) to get the CB1100.
 
At least you have the CB to ride. I sold my 1979 Harley Low Rider for the down payment on our home. But have been able to replace it with many different bikes since. I currently have 2013 CB 1100 and a Harley Davidson 45 Flat Head Bobber.
 
Thread starter
It's official. Signed over the title and handed over the keys today. My mixed feelings were somewhat eased by the joy I could see on the buyer's face.
 
Back
Top