seat locking mechanism

jsinher3_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Has any one had problems with theirs? Mines does not seem to be working. I pull down the latch and there's no kind of tension on it.
 
Can you remove the seat or is it not releasing? It is cable operated. Wonder if the cable end pulled out or off?

See post 4 for pics

2013 seat brackets
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Can you remove the seat or is it not releasing? It is cable operated. Wonder if the cable end pulled out or off?

See post 4 for pics

2013 seat brackets
the seat is not releasing. i couldnt really mess with it because i was in a rush to get to work on time (that didnt happen though :dodgy:). before today the lever had a spring back action to it when you pulled it but today it didnt. i think you are right, now i got to figure out a way to access it when i get back home.
 
Mine can be tricky too. Has its good days and bad days for some reason. I have to pull the lever with my left hand while working the rear of the seat back and forth with my right....(geez that sounded like something dirty when I read it back!)
 
Does it work? Can you get the seat off and on? If so, maybe you just need some lube on the mechanism.
 
Thread starter
Blockhead_imp said:
Mine can be tricky too. Has its good days and bad days for some reason. I have to pull the lever with my left hand while working the rear of the seat back and forth with my right....(geez that sounded like something dirty when I read it back!)
wait so is the seat suppose to just pop up when you pull the lever lol? since i got the bike that's the way i would take the seat off.
Rboe_imp said:
Does it work? Can you get the seat off and on? If so, maybe you just need some lube on the mechanism.
no i could not take the seat off
 
jsinher3_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
Mine can be tricky too. Has its good days and bad days for some reason. I have to pull the lever with my left hand while working the rear of the seat back and forth with my right....(geez that sounded like something dirty when I read it back!)
wait so is the seat suppose to just pop up when you pull the lever lol? since i got the bike that's the way i would take the seat off.
Rboe_imp said:
Does it work? Can you get the seat off and on? If so, maybe you just need some lube on the mechanism.
no i could not take the seat off
No. It just releases it and you have to pull it up in order for it to come off.
 
I had this problem the day after I got my CB home. The mechanism releases a latch via cable at the back of the seat. Since the stock seat is somewhat flexible, I was able to bend it enough in the middle to release the front from the tank as well as the hooks around the center of the seat. I reached in and manually pulled the cable with my hand and it released the seat. It seems the cable got jammed or something, so I had to play with it a little bit until it started operating properly using the the latch on the helmet lock. No problems since. Hope this helps.
 
Not to play Captain Obvious here, but you are pulling down on the lever behind the keyhole, and not the helmet lock below the keyhole, right?
(I only ask, because I've only removed my seat a couple of times since I've owned it, and I've mistakenly grabbed at the wrong tab myself... :blush: )
 
I always release my Corbin seats by giving them a 'thump down" with my right hand fist on the back of the seat near the catch.
Works every time and very easy.
 
On the Honda, once I pull down on the release I can pull up on the back of the seat and she releases. On the Griso I find it easier to put a knee into the middle of the seat then pop the back and that will release it without a fight.
 
Thread starter
ReacherCB1100_imp said:
I had this problem the day after I got my CB home. The mechanism releases a latch via cable at the back of the seat. Since the stock seat is somewhat flexible, I was able to bend it enough in the middle to release the front from the tank as well as the hooks around the center of the seat. I reached in and manually pulled the cable with my hand and it released the seat. It seems the cable got jammed or something, so I had to play with it a little bit until it started operating properly using the the latch on the helmet lock. No problems since. Hope this helps.
thanks, you were right about the seat being so flimsy, i was able to pop it out to where i could reach the latch cable to release the seat


Papa Weeley_imp said:
Not to play Captain Obvious here, but you are pulling down on the lever behind the keyhole, and not the helmet lock below the keyhole, right?
(I only ask, because I've only removed my seat a couple of times since I've owned it, and I've mistakenly grabbed at the wrong tab myself... :blush: )
lol nope i know what i was pulling down on

Houtman_imp said:
I always release my Corbin seats by giving them a 'thump down" with my right hand fist on the back of the seat near the catch.
Works every time and very easy.
wait i dont get it you push down on the seat then pull the release lever?

Stealth128_imp said:
Yeap this is the thing I hate most about this bike. Poor seat release.
definitely, i think they should have moved the helmet lock somewhere else and also made the seat more like hoods are where when you pull the latch the hood pops open
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
So what is the diagnosis?
well using your pic as a reference

c578cda4e2c5fec494daf58d180dd0aa.jpg


do you see where the cable feeds into the latch?

there is small crevice in there that is suppose to catch onto a groove on the lever cable to hold the cable firmly in place. it seems the cable popped out of the channel and that was causing the lack of tension on the cable to release the latch.

the solution:

i ran the wire so there would not be that much slack for it to pop back out of its seat. but im also thinking of putting some kind of clip like those used on brake lines to be 100% sure it wont happen again.
 
Ahhh gotcha. Weak point in the system you think? Or just a hiccup with yours?
 
I've always had to do some jiggling to get the seat back on. Never a problem on the CB750 which has a similar design. Today was the worst. I screwed around with it for about 10 minutes and it seemed like it was in the right position, but it just wouldn't latch when I pushed the back of the seat down.

After putting on my analytical hat, I eventually figured it out. When you slide the front end of the seat in, if you push it just a bit too far, it'll seem like it's in the right position, but the back won't latch. The solution was to slide the front into position, then pull it back about 1/4" and bingo!, it latched on the first try.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Ahhh gotcha. Weak point in the system you think? Or just a hiccup with yours?
i think it could be a nit of both. i have a u-lock i put in there so i might have pushed it out maybeee... but i also think they could have come up with something like this:

02c44adc2c4a0e2e62e79b8e12fc8f75.jpg
 
dos yours look like this? (my 2014) If so maybe a little plug to fill the hole above the groove so it can never pop out?

 
I have a Honda U-lock in mine and have never had any trouble. I think some of the locks on the market are bigger and that could maybe cause problems. Is yours a Honda U-lock? Just curious.
 
Back
Top