Seat lock stuck problem

Thread starter
Okay Guys, my bad . . . THE KEY WILL TURN TO THE 5 O'CLOCK POSITION FINE, BUT THE HELMET LATCH SIMPLY WILL NOT PULL DOWN TO UNLATCH THE SEAT. The key also will go into the 1 o'clock position too to relock the helmet holder latch. In other words, the keyed lock seems fine, only the piggybacked "seat latch" mechanism is stuck closed. I just looked at it again and drilling out the two break off screws is probably my only option at this point. I hate to do that, but I can't see any other way. All the seat bashing and cursing ain't getting it done! Should I attempt this myself or just take it to the dealer under warranty or call a locksmith?
 
if it's under warranty still, take it to the dealer for sure!
 
I'd take it to the dealer before I messed around with drilling things. Just to be clear, though, you don't pull on the helmet hook to open the seat...the seat latch pull is behind and slightly above the helmet hook.
 
Thread starter
Good advice ferret. It IS still under warranty with 6 months to go. Luckily, I have no need to take the seat off for any other reason in the foreseeable future with a semi-permanent BT hookup already in place. The DMV registration is the only valuable thing under there, but hopefully won't need that in the interim either. I was hoping to mount a grab rail accessory I bought from a fellow member here recently, but I guess that may have to wait now. :-(
 
dsinned_imp said:
Okay Guys, my bad . . . THE KEY WILL TURN TO THE 5 O'CLOCK POSITION FINE, BUT THE HELMET LATCH SIMPLY WILL NOT PULL DOWN TO UNLATCH THE SEAT. The key also will go into the 1 o'clock position too to relock the helmet holder latch. In other words, the keyed lock seems fine, only the piggybacked "seat latch" mechanism is stuck closed. I just looked at it again and drilling out the two break off screws is probably my only option at this point. I hate to do that, but I can't see any other way. All the seat bashing and cursing ain't getting it done! Should I attempt this myself or just take it to the dealer under warranty or call a locksmith?
MY WORD! If you had followed the advice given earlier. Oh, well, this thread has kept our minds occupied--err, boggled.
 
Sam Mac_imp said:
From the owners manual.
When I first bought my CB1100 last year, I had to ask the shop how to remove the seat so I could get the owners manual out to see how to remove the seat. I got double looks from the tech but he showed me how to remove the seat--laughing sheepishly.
 
Lol well lets not be too harsh. The owners manual was under the seat so he couldn't read it. I like this to trying to put bike in gear with sidestand down or trying to start bike with emergency kill switch on. Things many of us have done. It is a complicated and stupid system.
 
Hey when I bought my CB the salesman had to get the tech to show him how to open it. I took a pic for you looking at it from the rear of the bike. Hope this helps.
 
Hey yours looks like it has a rubber cover on the seat latch?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol well lets not be too harsh. The owners manual was under the seat so he couldn't read it. I like this to trying to put bike in gear with sidestand down or trying to start bike with emergency kill switch on. Things many of us have done. It is a complicated and stupid system.
Refresh me. What does RLETS stand for? ;)

Also, didn't know these things won't go in gear with the sidestand down.
 
OP has stated that he has removed the seat in the past, so this isn't a case of not knowing how. At this point, I'd let the dealer sort it out. It's certainly not worth cutting into the bike to remove it.

The ferret_imp said:
Hey yours looks like it has a rubber cover on the seat latch?
Yep, another RLET.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hey yours looks like it has a rubber cover on the seat latch?
Ferret, it looks more like a miniature foam cushion to prevent injuring your finger while trying to unlatch the seat. Ok, I'm done.
 
Want one, where did it come from?
White Dog_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lol well lets not be too harsh. The owners manual was under the seat so he couldn't read it. I like this to trying to put bike in gear with sidestand down or trying to start bike with emergency kill switch on. Things many of us have done. It is a complicated and stupid system.
Refresh me. What does RLETS stand for? ;)

Also, didn't know these things won't go in gear with the sidestand down.

It will go in gear, it will just kill the motor when you do it lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hey yours looks like it has a rubber cover on the seat latch?
That's because it's Black. The Black bikes got the cool stuff. :P:celebrate:
Just thinking that you could make a loop with a zip tie to make it easier to pull down on the latch if it's stuck. It is located in a PITA place to get at.
 
Thread starter
I owe you all an apology. I feel like a stupid idiot. Thanks to the posted pictures above, I now see the error of my ways. I was trying to pull down the wrong latch, i.e. the one on the front of the lower helmet latch handle, NOT the one piggybacked behind it on the back side! I did not even realize it was there until now! So STUPID, STUPID, STUPID is me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with this lock is that secondary latch handle is obscured (which may have been what Honda desired). Anyway, I NOW HAVE A REMOVABLE SEAT and always did! My only excuse for my stupidity is that I have been taking a bunch of meds and just completed two months of intensive radiation therapy to treat my Cancer, which together must have whacked out my mind and prevented me from being able to THINK CLEARLY.

Thanks to everyone for your incredible patience with me and once again my sincere apologies!

P.S. This forum is simply the best for being helpful to less experienced members. Much appreciated!!!
 
At least it's figured out now and all good! Like I said it's a stupid and confusing system that owners, dealers and techs have trouble with. You don't need to feel bad, especially with what you have been thru lately.
 
Thread starter
I still feel bad because I had the same initial issue when I first picked up the bike from the dealer. I was told there is a "trick to it", but completely forgot. Just a matter of old age, forgetfulness and confusion in spades!

Thanks again EVERYONE!!!
 
Glad to hear it's sorted out. I read this thread earlier while at work and had guessed what the problem was, but I was really busy and didn't have time to post.

You told us in post #41 that you were pulling on the helmet latch to try and release the seat :P

Don't feel bad. Sometimes these little, non-obvious little things send you off on a wild goose chase. A few days ago I couldn't get my CB750 to fire up no matter what I did. The battery was nearly dead before I noticed that the kill switch was in the "off" position. I never use the switch, so it just wasn't something that came to mind. Instead, since it had been colder than usual, I immediately convinced myself that it had to be an issue with the choke setting. Doh! :P
 
Back
Top