Seat lock stuck problem

dsinned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Anybody know of a "DIY" fix for a stuck seat lock. For some reason I can't get it to unlock anymore. I tried weighting the seat before unlatching, but no go. Any other suggestions?
 
Can you be more specific? Key won't turn? Latch won't pull down? Or seat just won't release when pulling the latch down?
 
Thread starter
Seat lock Key turned clockwise (12 o'clock position), but helmet holder latch won't pull down underneath so I can unlatch the seat.
 
The helmet hook should open with just the key turn. The seat latch has to be pulled down once the key is fully turned, which is from 1:00 to about 5:00 on my bike. Almost sounds like you're not fully unlocking the helmet hook so you're also not unlocking the seat latch. Not sure why that's happening though.
 
dsinned_imp said:
Anybody know of a "DIY" fix for a stuck seat lock. For some reason I can't get it to unlock anymore. I tried weighting the seat before unlatching, but no go. Any other suggestions?
Your seat lock is probably Ok. I struggle to remove my seat every time. With your seat removed, determine if the latching hook (with the seat removed, located on the frame near the back of the seat area) is operating correctly when you activate the lever at the helmet holder - my bet is that is it. You just have to hold the lever down at the helmet holder and manipulate (force) the seat around to get it unhook (it hooks beneath the frame fwd of the rear latch).
 
Thread starter
Had my very "mechanical" Son look at it today, but still no joy. I wonder if a professional locksmith would be able to fix it?

As an aside, I'm sure glad I have a Battery Tender already hooked up to my battery, but if I ever get stopped by a traffic cop, my license registration will be locked up in the battery box and inaccessible.
 
Turn the key, pull the hook down and then: while holding the seat; push, pull, twist, jiggle, swear and the seat will eventually disengage.
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Turn the key, pull the hook down and then: while holding the seat; push, pull, twist, jiggle, swear and the seat will eventually disengage.
if that fails, push, swear, pull, swear, twist, swear, jiggle, swear, rattle, and swear again. Good luck.
 
dsinned_imp said:
Anybody know of a "DIY" fix for a stuck seat lock. For some reason I can't get it to unlock anymore. I tried weighting the seat before unlatching, but no go. Any other suggestions?
I find that lifting and pulling the seat toward the rear of the bike is the easiest way.
Cormanus_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
Turn the key, pull the hook down and then: while holding the seat; push, pull, twist, jiggle, swear and the seat will eventually disengage.
if that fails, push, swear, pull, swear, twist, swear, jiggle, swear, rattle, and swear again. Good luck.
if that fails, push, swear, pull, swear, twist, swear, jiggle, swear, rattle, and swear again. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
If you cannot pull the release tab down all the way, something is jammed in the seat catch and as BayAreaRick has said, sitting on the seat or pressing down on it, in the area of the catch, may give it enough room to move. This could happen if some object was inadvertently caught under the seat and it was forcefully pressed into place to lock it.

Otherwise your release cable may be stuck, broken, or jammed. Unlikely, though.
 
Thread starter
I tried most of these suggestions. The seat lock latch won't budget no matter how much jiggling, smacking or weighting I do. Something is binding the latch mechanism itself so that it just won't release.

Anybody have a spare OEM seat they don't need?. I was thinking of cutting a hole thru my stock seat in the vicinity of the under seat latch so I could get to latch mechanism and try to free it up that way. Any other suggestions?

P.S. I am thinking of replacing the stock seat anyway as it is not very comfortable on rides over 30 minutes or so.
 
Dsinned, looking back at the beginning of the thread, I think MTC is on to it. When all is locked the key is at ~12 o'clock. Then turn the key clockwise and the helmet hook opens and the key stops at ~5 o'clock. Then you can reach behind the helmet hook and pull down the seat latch lever.

I'm sure you know all this. Is your key opening the helmet hook and going all the way to 5 o'clock?
 
Try this. Insert key, turn clockwise until key stops. The helmet latch should have moved down. With left hand, push down on back of seat while pulling down on seat latch lever behind helmet latch. You may even have to hit the seat hard while pulling down the seat latch lever to jar seat loose. Once seat releases, turn seat over, remove seat latch and place a spacer or two under each bolt, being careful to keep the seat latch square to the seat. I had to do this when I first installed my new Corbin seat. You will learn quickly how many spacers you need as the seat will get rather loose with too many spacers.
 
Thread starter
It won't go any further clockwise than the 1 o'clock position. It's stuck at 1 o'clock and won't turn to 5 o'clock. Therefore, I can't pull the seat latch any further down than its normal helmet holder position. Something is binding the key from turning further. So, I'm not sure if its the key lock or the latch under the seat that is stuck. I'll give it a few more tries following White Dog's suggestion, but I'm not optimistic.
 
Have you tried lubing the lock? Shoot some WD or silicone spray in there ( or better yet powdered graphite if you have it)
 
This is different than the latch under the seat being stuck. After doing what Ferret suggests, I suggest that you get your other key and try that. Are you using an OEM Honda key?

The problem is apparently what MTC said. The key isn't turning enough to unlock the seat latch. Easy things first. I'd suspect the key before the lock.
 
Back
Top