Seat lock stuck problem

Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
This is different than the latch under the seat being stuck. After doing what Ferret suggests, I suggest that you get your other key and try that. Are you using an OEM Honda key?

The problem is apparently what MTC said. The key isn't turning enough to unlock the seat latch. Easy things first. I'd suspect the key before the lock.
Yes, I am using only the OEM keys and have tried both. Tried oiling the key lock last night too. Still no luck! ;-((

The last thing I did with the seat off is put on a renewed license reg sticker to the DMV license plate and store the newly renewed paper registration form under the seat on top of the battery under the hold down strap in an envelop, same as before with the expired registration. Is it possible this somehow disturbed the latch mechanism anywhere near that location???

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. We'll get her licked sooner or later.
 
I'll ditto what popgun says. You might have a problem with the key. Mine has been known to be "finicky" at times. Does your key go into the lock very far? It will only go maybe 1/2" or so. Try this: See if the helmet latch will move up or down. You might have it jammed, thus the lock cylinder not turning very far. Have patience. You'll get it to work. Go easy with the key in that lock.

Don't think the license paperwork has caused this problem.

Here is a link to the seat parts list.
http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bfdf870021404ec5a41/seat-1
 
I wonder if you can get ahold of the barrel behind the helmet holder on cable 2 and pull it to release the seat latch, or remove bolt 10 ( breakaway bolt so probably have to be drilled out) and pull the whole assy to release the seat latch?
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the illustrated parts list Ferret. I think you're on to something . . . its too dark in my garage now at this hour, so further troubleshooting will have to wait until tomorrow.
 
Yea that was White Dog that provided the link, so thanks to him for that.
 
I'm thinking you can unbolt the helmet lock and disconnect the cable to pull it with pliers.
 
dsinned, if you can't turn the key past 1 o'clock, it seems to me highly unlikely that it has to do with the seat lock. Is it possible that the mechanism for the helmet holder has become bent so the friction is so great the key won't turn?
 
Ferret, I looked last night and they have a plastic cover over the mechanism so you can't get to the cable to pull it with pliers or something. I couldn't see a way around it. [ Edit to add: It looks like the cover is part of the plastic inner fender, called Fender B on the fiche]. As far as the seat latch I couldn't see a way to get to that either. That plastic cover isn't shown on the part list posted by White Dog. I haven't looked to find where it is shown.

He may have to do as you suggest and drill the breakoff bolts to get to the cable end. The bolts can then be replaced with new ones.
 
What about removing rear wheel and fender to access the cable and mechanism that holds seat in place?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I think I would try a lock lubricant as others have suggested.

Have you tried moving the seat lock lever slightly up or down while turning the key?
 
Thread starter
What a terrible design. As I recall "all" CBs (going back in time to my 1979 CBX inherited similarly troublesome seat locks. I had hassles with my 1992 Nighthawk as well. But not as bad as the CB1100. Frankly, I have no clue why this time it has become such a big problem. In all prior cases, just wiggling the seat would eventually allow the key lock to unlatch the seat. I just can't get it to budget past the 5 o'clock position. ;-((

Can I still try unscrewing the key lock by removing the two break off screws? Are they accessible from the outside of the bike? Isn't the latch cable right behind it once its taken off?
 
Does the helmet latch move down? The key will not, by design, move past the 5 o'clock position. If your key moves that far, the helmet latch should have also dropped down. Then, try some of the things already mentioned--like applying pressure to the back of the seat while pulling down on the seat latch located behind the helmet latch. If all else fails, drill the bolt, buy a new lock assembly and install. Once you get the seat off the bike, adjust the bar which is bolted onto the seat pan by adding washers to the mounting bolts between the seat pan and bottom of the latching bar.
 
No, they are security screws. I haven't looked THAT close at them, but I think they have to be drilled and replaced with new ones. Just look at yours. There is no screwdriver slot.

When you torque them in, the head breaks off so a thief can't just unscrew them and get your seat off.
 
Re-reading your post #31 above, it sounds as if you expect the seat to pop loose by just turning the key. That's not the way the CB1100 setup is. You have to turn the key to the 5 o'clock position, the helmet latch has to have moved down, then reach behind the helmet latch and pull the seat latch down. The helmet latch should move freely. The seat latch can be a bear, usually due to the bar attached to the seat pan not fitting far enough down into the latching mechanism shown on the parts fishe I posted. Therefore, upward pressure to the seat may be needed in order to get the seat latch to move.
 
White Dog_imp said:
Re-reading your post #31 above, it sounds as if you expect the seat to pop loose by just turning the key. That's not the way the CB1100 setup is. You have to turn the key to the 5 o'clock position, the helmet latch has to have moved down, then reach behind the helmet latch and pull the seat latch down. The helmet latch should move freely. The seat latch can be a bear, usually due to the bar attached to the seat pan not fitting far enough down into the latching mechanism shown on the parts fishe I posted. Therefore, upward pressure to the seat may be needed in order to get the seat latch to move.
It just could not be that simple. No way.

Could it? Hasn't he had the seat off many times before?

But your post makes perfect sense, it's just so obvious. But how could he have removed the seat in the past without pressing the seat release? Or maybe the seat release was previously "stuck" in the depressed position and finally returned to the locked position?

This thread is driving me bonkers, the mechanism is just so simple it shouldn't be causing such trouble. I wager he's gotten a rag or something stuck directly in the catch.
 
Anyone ever "penny" a door shut? The process is that you shove a penny (or a few stacked pennies) in the crack between the door and the frame near the latch mechanism. This wedges the latch against the strike plate and the friction created makes it difficult or impossible to turn the door knob.

I wonder if there's something wedged inside against the seat latch which is preventing you from fully turning your key. Maybe not even wedged so much as blocking the lock from turning to its natural stop.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
White Dog_imp said:
Re-reading your post #31 above, it sounds as if you expect the seat to pop loose by just turning the key. That's not the way the CB1100 setup is. You have to turn the key to the 5 o'clock position, the helmet latch has to have moved down, then reach behind the helmet latch and pull the seat latch down. The helmet latch should move freely. The seat latch can be a bear, usually due to the bar attached to the seat pan not fitting far enough down into the latching mechanism shown on the parts fishe I posted. Therefore, upward pressure to the seat may be needed in order to get the seat latch to move.
It just could not be that simple. No way.

Could it? Hasn't he had the seat off many times before?

But your post makes perfect sense, it's just so obvious. But how could he have removed the seat in the past without pressing the seat release? Or maybe the seat release was previously "stuck" in the depressed position and finally returned to the locked position?

This thread is driving me bonkers, the mechanism is just so simple it shouldn't be causing such trouble. I wager he's gotten a rag or something stuck directly in the catch.
It just could not be that simple. No way.

Could it? Hasn't he had the seat off many times before?

But your post makes perfect sense, it's just so obvious. But how could he have removed the seat in the past without pressing the seat release? Or maybe the seat release was previously "stuck" in the depressed position and finally returned to the locked position?

This thread is driving me bonkers, the mechanism is just so simple it shouldn't be causing such trouble. I wager he's gotten a rag or something stuck directly in the catch. I could not find any reference in the OP posts that he had actually depressed the seat latch--only that the key would not turn far enough. It only needs about 1/4 turn to get from fully locked to the open position. I've done this many times. Still have to struggle with the key sometimes. Cantankerous procedure. Then, there is the key removal but that is for another day of woes.
EmptySea_imp said:
Anyone ever "penny" a door shut? The process is that you shove a penny (or a few stacked pennies) in the crack between the door and the frame near the latch mechanism. This wedges the latch against the strike plate and the friction created makes it difficult or impossible to turn the door knob.

I wonder if there's something wedged inside against the seat latch which is preventing you from fully turning your key. Maybe not even wedged so much as blocking the lock from turning to its natural stop.
I believe the seat latch is dependent on the key being turned first. The helmet latch moves downward as the key is turned. Then, and only then, can the seat latch be depressed to release the seat.
 
Right, White Dog, but I thought that the OP mentioned that the helmet hook did not lower, either. I'm not sure if I read that correctly though and I'm not going back. LOL. So, it was my thought that possibly something is pressuring the lock mechanism to keep it from turning fully. I'm going to fart around with this when I get home. Closing the office at 3:00 today for Thanksgiving so folks can spend time with their families....I guess farting around with the seat latch on my bike is "spending time with my family" LOL
 
Very easy to bend the key whilst it's in the seat lock, too. I have taken to moving VERY slowly when doing anything around my bikes. Snap that key off, ya could be stranded.
 
Back
Top