Seat comfort.

90 minutes to 2 hours is very normal ride time for me between breaks. At that point I either need to pee, take a swig of water, stretch the legs and back, refuel, check directions anyway. A short break normally resets my butt for another 1-2 hours. If I’m really trying to push through and get somewhere, standing up through some slow sections of road resets me as well. I ride off-road though so standing is quite natural for me. I can see how some might feel weird doing so though.
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
90 minutes to 2 hours is very normal ride time for me between breaks. At that point I either need to pee, take a swig of water, stretch the legs and back, refuel, check directions anyway. A short break normally resets my butt for another 1-2 hours. If I’m really trying to push through and get somewhere, standing up through some slow sections of road resets me as well. I ride off-road though so standing is quite natural for me. I can see how some might feel weird doing so though.
(+1) Totally everything said. :thumbsup:
 
Never owned a stock seat that I liked.

Every bum is different, if your bum dislikes your seat get one made. Or an airhawk. But first try to deduce why you don't it. Is it too low? Too hard? Too soft? No support for your thighs? Step too far forward?

for the time we spend on them we should not suffer a poor fitting seat.
 
Thread starter
Yes, I've tried to scientifically determine why my butt aches, but after about 5 mins I'm too lost in the joys of biking (a bit like Homer going "ooo, shiny") and it's only when the discomfort works it's way into my consciousness that it becomes a problem. But moving forwards to the tank (feels awkward changing gear)/backwards onto the passenger seat (too much of a stretch) does temporarily alleviate the pain. Either that or tuck in, wind it on and just concentrate on the road ahead.

Mind you I can get achey-bum syndrome on just about any chair it seems. Wonder if having popped a disc a few years back is a behind this?

When I was learning we had CB650s and Z650s, the Z650, the main bike used, gave me bum ache after about 20 mins, the CB650, used only once but for about an hour, gave no pain at all - mind you that was the first big bike I had ever ridden on the public highway, it was dark and the morning rush hour so my physical condition was not uppermost in my mind at the time.

Looking at cycle-ergo, the forward lean is the same for CB1100 and Z650 but less for the CB650, indeed when I shuffle right up to the tank, the position feels like what I remember it to have been on the CB650.

Makes me wonder if a 2" pull back, or buckhorns, would help?
 
Pullbacks or hanging-like bars may help with any back-related strain, which for some could contribute to other upper or lower muscle pain. Every - body - is different.
 
Thread starter
Now here's a thing, had the bike on the centre stand today so decided to see if there was a naturally more comfortable body position for me where my butt didn't hurt.

Well, seems that leaning forward and putting my wrists on top of the grips gives me a position where my weight is more towards my perineum rather than my coccyx, so induces less discomfort.

So.... is it possible to simply rotate the handlebars forward around 3-4 inches and easily/simple adjust the controls, levers etc? Or is everything pinned so non-adjustable?

Or do I need new bars as the rotation will introduce issues of its own?

...seat is still bloody hard though!
 
The seat is, literally, a pain in the arse and upper, inner thighs.
 
Without new hardware, handlebar controls so have limited adjustment margin. However I do not believe you will get 3 to 4 inches without customization. Be careful what you wish for regarding arm/wrist support with adjustments. I am sure many Forum members have chimed in with their experience.

lol - The Forum fills the spectrum regarding seat comfort. I find the seat hard after 60 to 90 minutes of riding and it is typically my butt bones for me. Some people call me a "hard *", but we have standards here at the Forum for such language. :)
 
cblais19_imp said:
Go ride (pedal) road bikes for a while, you won’t complain about a motorcycle seat ever again ;).

I was baffled when I saw people complaining about the Tenere’s stock seat over on ADVRider, then I remembered my rear is probably calibrated very differently after years of riding on tiny little saddles that numb uh...sensitive areas.
Same here. Also, I am comfortable on sport bikes. I have to be able to support my weight with my legs or I feel weird. The feet forward position makes the back of my butt hurt so that I have to stop and stand up every so often.
 
JT: Regarding standing - agreed. However, I find standing straight up on the CB a challenge - or maybe more correctly, a safety issue for me. For that I minimally need a Strom or Versys.
 
A lot of recommendations for Corbin seats, but I recommend if you can, looking at other aftermarket seat replacements before you order a Corbin. It might just be me, but years ago I replaced a stock seat on a Shadow 1100 with a Corbin, and hated it. It was too hard and never softened up even after two full years of riding. Then I bought a Kawa Concours and found the stock seat uncomfortable. So again I tried a Corbin, and again it did not work well for me. For myself, Corbin is a no go. There are other seat makers out there, although I do not know if they make a seat for the CB1100, but for the cost of a good seat its worth doing more than just a bit of investigating. FWIW, I have used Beadrider seat covers on several bikes in the last 15 years and they really do help, and cost a lot less than a new entire seat.
 
I have an aftermarket seat done by Samurider.com... is much better than stock. They have a lot of variety to pick from. Also someone said they had their stock seat re-done by Laam Custom Seats and looking at their site it looks like a good option. I may get one done my Laam as well.

Seats are the weak point of every bike I've ever had. Every bike I have now, and have had in the past, I needed an aftermarket seat. Sargent for my CBR and KLR, WingSoft mod for my Goldwing, and Mustang for my previous Valk and Shadows....

I highly recommend getting an aftermarket seat if the stock bothers you.... makes all the difference in the world enjoying your bike and it's ride....

:biker:
 
I'm wasn't happy with the stock seat as well. 100 miles brought on butt burn. 500 miles was fine on my R1150RT BMW but not so the CB1100. I finally broke down and took my CB seat to an upholstery shop, had the foam shaved and a gel pad inserted. What a big difference. Not perfect, but 150 miles today and still felt good.
 
Thread starter
Well, 'fitted' a Tourtecs Comfort Seat Cushion Air to ease my aching butt. Seemed to work for local rides but did a 100 mile, 2+ hour loop today, by the end of which I was in such pain (of which I still have some) that the phrase 'trade-it-in' not too fleetingly crossed my mind.

What made it worse is that despite being on maximum tightness, the fixing loops on the Tourtecs still allowed the seat to slide from side to side so I ended up with back ache as well as butt ache.

So I think, as Jeffhorn did, I will visit the local mo'bike seat upholstery gent of great repute and see what transpires. Not yet though, got a house to buy, allegedly, maybe, if some people pull their fingers out.....
 
HR: Sorry to read about your PITA. The standard CB saddle does get its fair share of negative opinions leading us to try workarounds and alternatives that may or may not pan out as planned. The result? An unexpected journey of unwant. :-/
 
Back
Top