Seat comfort.

Haggard Rider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Being a complete newbie when it comes to riding motorbikes, I have a question over seat comfort.

I've not ridden much since I got the CB, about 500mls since Jan 8th, but I do find that my backside starts hurting (like it's bruised) after about 30/40 mins riding.

I thought it might just be me getting used to riding as with hurting wrists and shoulders, but now that they are ok, my butt still hurts to the extent I reckon 90 mins to 2 hrs will be my limit between stops.

Is this the norm? Will I 'get used' to the saddle, or do I need to look into a replacement like a Corbin?
 
I am happy to a certain point with my OEM seat , even after nonstop 300km+ or over 1000km/day trip...I think it depends on your butt as well, and no doubt, Corbin would be much more comfy. This is my opinion that will very from others...
 
I made good faith effort to use the OEM seat. I, too, got very uncomfortable on the seat.

I bought a sheepskin wool cover-not much better- and then an airhawk-still did not help for all day rides. After three years, I finally spent the money for a corbin seat. The gunfighter and lady is the only styler the CB1100. They make their own seat pans. I have about 500 miles on this new seat and the difference is noticeable. I rode 400 miles last week with no air hawk or sheepskin and was very comfortable. I am told that after riding 1000 miles or so the seat breaks in even better.

The corbin is not cheap. I also installed some new handle bars which have more of a back sweep to them for a more comfortable cruiser feel. I really would like true buckhorn handlebars but these are okay.

My experience.

George
Arizona
 
Houtman_imp said:
I have always put Corbin seats on my bikes for the last 30 years :love them !
I have been riding for 45 years. I find the stock seat fine for 200 mile rides every Sunday.
 
Go ride (pedal) road bikes for a while, you won’t complain about a motorcycle seat ever again ;).

I was baffled when I saw people complaining about the Tenere’s stock seat over on ADVRider, then I remembered my rear is probably calibrated very differently after years of riding on tiny little saddles that numb uh...sensitive areas.
 
Your underwear and riding gear can make a difference. Many long-distance riders use underwear specifically designed for motorcycling (LDComfort is one such vendor). Generally, it has to do with the location of the seams and how the garment fits you. But yes, it can take miles to get your butt acclimated to riding, and sometimes a different seat can help provide more support and a bit of relief.
 
I've ridden my VFR800 with my wife on the back multiple 400+ mile days (San Diego to Monterey), and neither of us have any real issues with our butt, but I have a Corbin seat on it. When we do a 200 mile day on the CB1100 we are both complaining about our back sides. I don't think the seat is entirely to blame for a sore butt; I believe that the lack of a fairing is a significant contributor. With all that force from the wind on your chest (I'm talking freeway speeds here), your butt is reacting to a lot of force. This is one reason I haven't purchased a Corbin seat for the CB1100, besides I think the CB1100 Corbin seat is not very attractive.
 
I found the seats on both my 2013 CB500XA and 2017 CB1100 EX uncomfortable after 90 minutes of riding. I bought a Coleman MadDog seat pad for the CB500XA and extended my comfort time to 2 hours. Bought a CB1100 seat from a forum member that was altered to be taller and it also extended my comfort time to 2 hours. At 72 years young, that is about I all can ride without tiring. So I plan my rides for stops no more than every 2 hours.

Harder than the Honda seats though are their rock hard small diameter handlegrips. Fortunately a $20 pair of foam slip-on Grip Puppies cure that problem.
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
Being a complete newbie when it comes to riding motorbikes, I have a question over seat comfort.

I've not ridden much since I got the CB, about 500mls since Jan 8th, but I do find that my backside starts hurting (like it's bruised) after about 30/40 mins riding.

I thought it might just be me getting used to riding as with hurting wrists and shoulders, but now that they are ok, my butt still hurts to the extent I reckon 90 mins to 2 hrs will be my limit between stops.

Is this the norm? Will I 'get used' to the saddle, or do I need to look into a replacement like a Corbin?
I am one of those using the stock Honda saddle who needs to stop for 15 minute breaks after 90 minutes of riding. Maybe my butt isn't as narrow as PB's. So I think you are not alone as I see others have expressed similarly. All in the butt genetics maybe? :P Probably a bit more than that.
 
I am another one of those who can spend endless hours on the stock seat without discomfort. I rode straight thru from Arkansas to Ohio, 12 hours, 698 miles with only stops for gas.

I also had a stock seat on my ST 1300 (5500 miles in 11 days was a good long ride) and stock saddle on my FJR (best so far is a little over 500 miles in one day).

I think some people just tolerate sitting on a motorcycle seat better than others.
 
I had much better "seat performance" on the stock Virago 1100, probably because it was Lazy Boy wide. Don't recall getting antsy. Nevertheless, a good attribute of the CB seat is it allows for rider movement, and it also allows me to ride on the passenger side to extend distances to two hours.

Of course if I had something like an Africa, I could stand up, stretch the butt, leak in a cup, run until the tank is dry without stopping. But, that is another dream.
 
Thread starter
So, to summarise, it could be related to; a screen, or lack of it or not; to the seat itself or not; or indeed to the handlebar ergos, or not? Or maybe my tush is just too wide (quite likely).

The Dart screen I have directs the airblast smack into the chest around the plexus area with no turbulence at head height which feels ok. The bars are maybe an inch or two forward and perhaps a little low of where my hands naturally fall.

But, I did stand a couple of times yesterday and that bought immediate relief, like turning off a switch immediate and the pain came back a few mins after sitting back down - does that suggest the seat is the cause?

As an aside, my non-biker SIL said the seat felt comfortable when he sat on it, but then he is a wiry build.
 
I have had many bikes in the decades I have been riding, and the seat on my 2017 EX might just be the least comfortable seat I have ever experienced. I bought an airhawk cushion from another member here late in the season last year, and I am hoping it helps.
 
apex1_imp said:
I have had many bikes in the decades I have been riding, and the seat on my 2017 EX might just be the least comfortable seat I have ever experienced. I bought an airhawk cushion from another member here late in the season last year, and I am hoping it helps.
I feel the same way.

I sat on the seat of a Polaris snowmobile and could have laid down and fallen asleep. :sleepy:

The cushiest seat I can remember was on my 1966 BSA Lightning. No problems riding to Laconia, New Hampshire and back. Mind you I was in my early 20s and weighed 163 pounds. A lot different now at 72 and weighing 220 pounds.
 
m in sc_imp said:
i dont find any issue with the stock seat. as a matter of fact, i find it one of the more comfortable stock seats out there.

one thing i have found over the years, is that where the bars are has a huge impact on seat comfort. if you bias them too far forward, it stretches the lower part of your thighs and can cause discomfort, while too far back can cause tailbone discomfort. this is an issue which gets over looked a LOT. its imperative you get the bars positioned correctly on any bike to get the ergos right. this also goes with levers and hand comfort but thats another topic.

i have 5 bikes with clipons and they all can be made relatively comfortable by playing with the ergonomic adjustments, the cb is a couch by comparison, but i did have to adjust it as well, and can ride a full tank out without stopping out of discomfort. (im also 46 and about 200 lbs at 5"8, not a 22 yr old at 160 lbs.. lol)

as an example, a friend of mine has a 1200 bandit, almost sold it until he put on 2" risers to bring the stock bars up and back some, now has no discomfort.

I really feel the seats get a bad rap when usually its able to be adjusted out.

my .02
+1 on "one of the more comfortable stock seats out there". I also find that in general, for a variety of motorcycles I rode, the position/bending of the whole upper body has much significant bearing on the comfort than the complex geometry and particular pressure points of the contact surface between my posterior and the seat.

I generally ride CB non-stop between the fuel stops. (With the tank size on my 2016 this however might not be much of an achievement :)
 
HR

The more you ride , the easier you will find it. Once you start standing up to relieve the pressure, the game is up.

There is a big difference between riding on the m/way and enjoying a proper ride on A/B roads. With the latter type of riding, the fact that you are moving around much more will delay the onset of pain.

I have had a lot of bikes. The CB seat is OK but not great compared to others.
 
and sometimes its too the question how much fat and muscle you have on your but......and how is your basic seat-bodyposition your weight...and of cours your personal bodyyfeeling for something

the saddle from the DLX and 17modell is absolut all right for me...5-700 km dayloops are no problems for me..
 
Back
Top