Sayonara to the CB1100, with an exit interview.

uscgmac_imp said:
I ride another bike which is nearly a 1000 lbs. The CB is a little toy in comparison. The CB is my tiny bike, lol.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
A 10 yr old girl could pick this bike up off its side if done correctly. The ride like a pro series of video's show proper techniques on how to pick up large motorcycles with ease.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
If I'm correct, you picked up a Triumph street cup also. I absolutely love the looks of that bike.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The CB may feel heavy and that should be all that matters to a rider, but it's not heavy.

Totally agree that the CB is barely more difficult to lift than a 350 pound bike if proper techniques are used.

I hope that Ulvetanna enjoys his new bike.
 
ULVE, HUH? and WTF?... Typed here by you something like 25 days ago-

"No chance of the CB1100 going up for sale, that's a keeper at present. I can't think of any good reason to let it go other than if something strange happens."

I guess something strange happened?
EmptySea_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
I ride another bike which is nearly a 1000 lbs. The CB is a little toy in comparison. The CB is my tiny bike, lol.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
A 10 yr old girl could pick this bike up off its side if done correctly. The ride like a pro series of video's show proper techniques on how to pick up large motorcycles with ease.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
If I'm correct, you picked up a Triumph street cup also. I absolutely love the looks of that bike.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The CB may feel heavy and that should be all that matters to a rider, but it's not heavy.

Totally agree that the CB is barely more difficult to lift than a 350 pound bike if proper techniques are used.

I hope that Ulvetanna enjoys his new bike.
This discussion makes me wonder- Is everyone here regularly dropping and picking their bikes up off the ground? Or are some of you guys justifying getting rid of a bike in order to get something different by saying "It's just too heavy. If it fell over I'd never be able to pick it up" I've probably owned 40 bikes in 40 years (had multiple bikes in the garage at the same time) and can recall ONE time having to pick a bike up off the ground and it happened in my driveway. And when it happened- it was a VERY heavy BMW K1200LT- a co-worker and riding buddy happened to drive by within 30 seconds and helped me lift it. Two other times a bike fell partway over and not to the ground- once stopped by the garage wall and the other time stopped by another parked bike.

Even IF you find your bike on it's side, are you ever going to be truly alone? There's gotta be a family member, or riding buddy, or a neighbor who can come by and help. On the road, I have to think that someone eventually will stop and help.
 
^ I agree with you but everyone is different and tastes change over time. Like most folks here, I alternate between bikes in my garage. My CB isn't the heaviest among them, but riding my F800GT and Monster 620 is a revelation in "fun" after riding my CB or K1200RS, and I'm 6'6" 220 lbs. I've not had a bike on the pavement in over 30 years, but riding a light bike has its merits, just as riding a heavy bike has its merits.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
ULVE, HUH? and WTF?... Typed here by you something like 25 days ago-

"No chance of the CB1100 going up for sale, that's a keeper at present. I can't think of any good reason to let it go other than if something strange happens."

I guess something strange happened?
EmptySea_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
I ride another bike which is nearly a 1000 lbs. The CB is a little toy in comparison. The CB is my tiny bike, lol.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
A 10 yr old girl could pick this bike up off its side if done correctly. The ride like a pro series of video's show proper techniques on how to pick up large motorcycles with ease.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
If I'm correct, you picked up a Triumph street cup also. I absolutely love the looks of that bike.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The CB may feel heavy and that should be all that matters to a rider, but it's not heavy.

Totally agree that the CB is barely more difficult to lift than a 350 pound bike if proper techniques are used.

I hope that Ulvetanna enjoys his new bike.
This discussion makes me wonder- Is everyone here regularly dropping and picking their bikes up off the ground? Or are some of you guys justifying getting rid of a bike in order to get something different by saying "It's just too heavy. If it fell over I'd never be able to pick it up" I've probably owned 40 bikes in 40 years (had multiple bikes in the garage at the same time) and can recall ONE time having to pick a bike up off the ground and it happened in my driveway. And when it happened- it was a VERY heavy BMW K1200LT- a co-worker and riding buddy happened to drive by within 30 seconds and helped me lift it. Two other times a bike fell partway over and not to the ground- once stopped by the garage wall and the other time stopped by another parked bike.

Even IF you find your bike on it's side, are you ever going to be truly alone? There's gotta be a family member, or riding buddy, or a neighbor who can come by and help. On the road, I have to think that someone eventually will stop and help.
Yes. I admitted I was wrong and moved on.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
ULVE, HUH? and WTF?... Typed here by you something like 25 days ago-

"No chance of the CB1100 going up for sale, that's a keeper at present. I can't think of any good reason to let it go other than if something strange happens."

I guess something strange happened?
EmptySea_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
I ride another bike which is nearly a 1000 lbs. The CB is a little toy in comparison. The CB is my tiny bike, lol.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
A 10 yr old girl could pick this bike up off its side if done correctly. The ride like a pro series of video's show proper techniques on how to pick up large motorcycles with ease.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
If I'm correct, you picked up a Triumph street cup also. I absolutely love the looks of that bike.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The CB may feel heavy and that should be all that matters to a rider, but it's not heavy.

Totally agree that the CB is barely more difficult to lift than a 350 pound bike if proper techniques are used.

I hope that Ulvetanna enjoys his new bike.
This discussion makes me wonder- Is everyone here regularly dropping and picking their bikes up off the ground? Or are some of you guys justifying getting rid of a bike in order to get something different by saying "It's just too heavy. If it fell over I'd never be able to pick it up" I've probably owned 40 bikes in 40 years (had multiple bikes in the garage at the same time) and can recall ONE time having to pick a bike up off the ground and it happened in my driveway. And when it happened- it was a VERY heavy BMW K1200LT- a co-worker and riding buddy happened to drive by within 30 seconds and helped me lift it. Two other times a bike fell partway over and not to the ground- once stopped by the garage wall and the other time stopped by another parked bike.

Even IF you find your bike on it's side, are you ever going to be truly alone? There's gotta be a family member, or riding buddy, or a neighbor who can come by and help. On the road, I have to think that someone eventually will stop and help.
Agree, but with the extra comment that it's EASY to pick up almost any bike. I grant that a bike dropped off the side of a road or in some other awkward position may require two or more folks to get it upright, but for the most part it's a one man (or woman) job and, even if it wasn't, the relative difficulty of lifting a bike when it is dropped should not be a determining factor in ownership...if you're dropping your bike often enough that it becomes a factor, I suggest finding a different recreational activity.
 
Ulv mentioned on page 2 of this thread that he is over 60 years of age and had a hernia operation, and the two cracked vertebrae from crashing in the desert. That would make it extremely painful if not impossible to lift a CB1100 back on its wheels.

When I was 40 something my foot slipped on some sand in a parking lot as I was backing my Goldwing Aspencade out of a inclined parking space. I was able to slow the fall but not stop it. Penny was agile enough to slide off the passenger seat before it touched down which helped. I am 6'2" inches tall and weight 226 pounds, so I was able to right the "leadwing" using techniques I had learned from other club members. There was no damage done.

But the 750 pound wing had a flat four motor and its fuel tank was in the middle of the frame. That lowered it center of gravity considerably. The CB1100 fuel tank is at the top of the bike and its motor is tall and top heavy. At my age I doubt I would be able to right it without a great struggle. Fortunately that Goldwing incident was the last time I rolled a bike.
 
Over on the ST board dropping the ST is so common they have a place to record your "tip overs" as they are called below your avatar, along with your yearly mileage. Many guys are in the double digits and most are in the 1 or 2. Few are in the zero category. I won't tell you which one I am in because I don't want to jinx anything. The ST has built in tip over bars and along with the saddlebags which keep it from flat lining, so it is 'easier" to get back up I am told. The problem with the back it up method that I have seen, is you are supposed to put the bike in gear, and the gear shifter is underneath the bike. Then once you get it upright, you have to turn around without dropping it again to get the sidestand down. Wouldn't mind practicing the manuever with someone elses bike lol.

I almost..dropped my CB the other day after backing it out of the garage I went to rest it on the sidestand like I always do, but after leaning it over, and it continuing to drop, I realized for some reason my sidestand was still up. I was able to catch it (I was facing the bike) and get it back up myself before it went down, but it was not easy for this 66 year old weakling. I was home alone and if I couldn't have gotten it back up, my neighbors are pretty far away if they were even home. It would have laid there awhile before I could get help. Wouldn't worry that much about getting help out in public though. I'm sure someone would come along pretty quick.
 
Could happen to anyone. I don't think it's as much of a weight thing as most don't drop a bike because of the weight but more so due to the ground conditions. Inclined parking, wet leaves, gravel, forgetting the kick stand, pot holes, drinking too much alcohol (just kidding) and what ever else probable causes more drops than anything. Getting it back up is where the weight is the factor. Everyone is different and some may be in lesser health than others. If I were to get rid of my CB it would be because I just like change and new technology or plain looks and style. I love my CB but I don't see it being a forever bike.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
You guys crack me up thinking that the CB is heavy. It's all relative. I would never try pushing my '08 Concours 14 out my garage door without straddling it, but I push the CB out like it's a bicycle, standing off to the left side. :cool::beerchug:
 
mininsx_imp said:
You guys crack me up thinking that the CB is heavy. It's all relative. I would never try pushing my '08 Concours 14 out my garage door without straddling it, but I push the CB out like it's a bicycle, standing off to the left side. :cool::beerchug:
+1
 
I forgot that I have two fall overs, not one. 15 or so years ago I was a new motorcycle cop. I wasn't young, it was two years before I retired. Well, after supervising the road closures and detours for my town's Christmas tree lighting ceremony, I went to park the bike, a heavy Police model Harley, to the rear of the crowd in a freshly prepared parking lot of small gravel stones. Well, after extending the side stand and hopping off, the bike kept gong over until it was on its side. Apparently, the sand and gravel lot wasn't compacted and the stand WAS down but just sunk right in.

Well, adrenaline and the fear of an embarrassing moment to be potentially viewed by 400 members of the public kicked in. I picked that Hog up in one fluid motion in seemingly a split second after it touched the ground. The crowd was facing away from where I was and AFAIK, not one person witnessed it! I'm certain I could not lift such a heavyweight bike again without similar motivation.
 
Thread starter
Gravity is at all times accelerating us and all mass around us toward the center of the planet. There is no getting around it. We're blessed and endowed with certain abilities to resist gravity, and at first, these usually work quite well, to the point where we don't even identify gravity as a force of acceleration. But we wear out, or learn some kind of lesson, somewhere along the way.

When the ST1100 first arrived, I loved it and almost bought one. The deciding factor was not the weight or size, just finances at the time. A guy I knew had one, and let me ride it. I didn't drop it, but he did later on, in the parking lot of our favorite watering hole. The bike was designed with protective hard plastic bumpers over steel guards, so no real damage was done, and the V4 configuration made it pretty easy to get it upright again.

I concur with Empty Sea, if one is dropping his or her bike, or having a lot of mishaps with footing or balance, better figure out why.

In many cases it is because the person started with a bike too big to really learn balancing techniques and low-speed clutch/brake skills, and is just "managing" the bike. That's where a machine like the Wolf Classic 150 can be of great value, to build skills. Not to mention I always wanted a minibike or something like it when I was a teenager, but being a dirt poor farmboy in the Kansas wastelands wasn't cutting it financially. So I have one now, and I learn something every time I ride it.

I can honestly say I have never dropped any motorcycle while riding it, or astride. I cannot ever remember doing so. I am short, so it has nothing to do with having long legs, or a burly build. I chalk it up to having learned to ride in the dirt, and having a lot of tall dirt bikes, some with seat heights up to 37". And I always had to contend with short legs. One has to learn to be very smooth and precise at every stop, and observe off-camber surfaces, sand, oil, gravel, and the like constantly, because there is not much chance to save the bike if it starts to go over when the legs are short.

Nick Ienatsch's article about this was a little surprising to me, because I just assumed someone like Nick had learned these techniques himself, but he really was never a dirt rider and so just never adapted fully to the challenges. So even a guy with a lot of racing and street riding in his background may have missed something to add to the skill set.

But all in all, I did not trade in my CB1100 because it was too heavy; that is, the weight was not a factor in terms of worrying about dropping it. I still have an F800GS with a 33"+ seat height and it's plenty tall, and plenty top-heavy. But the bike suits my riding needs, it's a fairly light twin with a lot of capabilities. As I said in some other posts, the CB1100 was heavier than I like as a machine when riding it. The Triumph Street Cup is probably about the ideal size, weight, and configuration for me, I guess it's around 470 pounds, good riding position, nice twin with gobs of torque. I do ride aggressively on the street when the roads are clear and clean and I like to brake hard; the CB1100 can certainly be ridden this way (I hope whoever buys my former bike takes care with the brakes because they are exceptionally powerful with the stainless lines and HH pads), but one always feels the weight and it becomes taxing after a time. If I rode up a gear, just cruising along at a nice clip, it would be no factor.

Just a distillation of my perspective, the CB1100 would still be in my name had it been 50-60 pounds lighter because it would have been a better bike for my personal tastes. Had it come in at the weight and general dimensions as the early Z650 Kawasaki (about 470 pounds), with about 70-80 HP, I'd still own it, I'm pretty sure.

All that said, I am well aware that I could drop a bike or have an incident any day, and so I prepare myself the best I can. No one's immune to gravity.
 
Some of the BMW'S with the boxer layout on paper are heavier than the CB but are surprising light to maneuver walking with it or at slow speeds in my experience with the BMW's. Its just that weight is situated lower compared to the CB. I agree with wolf and whoever comments on the CB being top heavy feels heavy because since I have put my CB on a super diet it still feels that way (top heavy) at low speeds. But no motorcycle is the Pinnacle of all, but I know to most of us the CB is livable despite itty bitty flaws.

Good luck wolf! enjoyed reading your posts.
 
Wolfie, great words as always. If you ever find yourself in the Denver area and have an itch to ride some great roads, look me up. You're certainly welcome to my stable.
 
Putting the issue of dropping bikes aside for the moment, here's my take away from all of this: In effect, it took three new bikes to replace Ulvetanna's CB1100. That's one of the more notable testaments to the bike in the history of this forum. ;)
 
Wise decision Ulvetanna.

Although I try not to be influenced by the folks who always crave for larger and larger motorcycles, I did give in and tried out a few 1400cc to 1800cc cruisers (750 - 800+ lbs). Things went fine for a whole day demo rides. But it took only one distraction at a stop at a traffic light where there’s a drop-off on the right side, the 800lbs bike leaned slowly over to the right and continued its course. I was able to slow it down on its course but was not strong enough to get it back up right. Fortunately, only a few scratch on the pipe but nothing serious. Two other demo-riders helped me to get it back up. If I was by myself ...

After that demo day, I was confirmed that I should never buy a motorcycle that I can not physically handle the weight. From there on, I look at my 470lbs "small" bike with fresh eyes and no longer consider the big heavy ones.
 
Well Buddy I wish you all the best in whatever ride you go for. I'm almost 66, I manage to lay my CB over a few days ago putting it up on the center stand. Slow roll and only damage is a couple scratches in the right side engine cover. I had no problem picking it back up. Hope you hang around, I figure you'll be back sooner or later. :thumbsup:
 
Guth_imp said:
Putting the issue of dropping bikes aside for the moment, here's my take away from all of this: In effect, it took three new bikes to replace Ulvetanna's CB1100. That's one of the more notable testaments to the bike in the history of this forum. ;)
:rofl: true dat!
 
Thread starter
Sam Mac_imp said:
Well Buddy I wish you all the best in whatever ride you go for. I'm almost 66, I manage to lay my CB over a few days ago putting it up on the center stand. Slow roll and only damage is a couple scratches in the right side engine cover. I had no problem picking it back up. Hope you hang around, I figure you'll be back sooner or later. :thumbsup:
Those centerstands are real iffy. The only times I've dropped bikes were fooling about with centerstands. Good thing you got away with very minor damage. That's why I just installed the OEM engine guards a few weeks ago. But they'll help sell the bike, I think.
lola_imp said:
Some of the BMW'S with the boxer layout on paper are heavier than the CB but are surprising light to maneuver walking with it or at slow speeds in my experience with the BMW's. Its just that weight is situated lower compared to the CB. I agree with wolf and whoever comments on the CB being top heavy feels heavy because since I have put my CB on a super diet it still feels that way (top heavy) at low speeds. But no motorcycle is the Pinnacle of all, but I know to most of us the CB is livable despite itty bitty flaws.

Good luck wolf! enjoyed reading your posts.
Absolutely right about the boxer engines, the CG is really low for most of them. I did try an RNineT though, the scrambler, and it felt quite top-heavy. The lowered R1200GS felt very light though.
 
Back
Top