Samurider Paniers-review + pictures

Thread starter
NightRider_imp said:
I usually raise my bike on her centerstand utilizing the metal mounting point below the seat on the right side. With these paniers in place how does one raise their bike on the centerstand?
It can be done by reaching in between the saddlebag and the grabbing the beefy chrome saddlebag carrying bracket. You don't have a lot of room for your hand,( as you can see in the top view picture & the picture of the rear of the bike, bags installed) but enough to get the job done. Hope this helps.............
 
hi Tomas, I was inspired to buy these after seeing them on your bike in this post.
I purchased and installed early in the season. There is a lot to like about them...top hinge, easy access, hardware is great quality, over all very well made. Plus they look great on the CB.
I would like to be able to retro fit the bracket somewhat to allow them to install lower, and back a bit -plus closer to the bike.
Im just curious- what are your thoughts on them-do you like them as is or is there anything you would change/ modify?
Cheers,
 
Thread starter
jrns_imp said:
hi Tomas, I was inspired to buy these after seeing them on your bike in this post.
I purchased and installed early in the season. There is a lot to like about them...top hinge, easy access, hardware is great quality, over all very well made. Plus they look great on the CB.
I would like to be able to retro fit the bracket somewhat to allow them to install lower, and back a bit -plus closer to the bike.
Im just curious- what are your thoughts on them-do you like them as is or is there anything you would change/ modify?
Cheers,
Greetings jrns,
After owning and using them for awhile now, I'd have to say "no regrets". How they sit on the bike, I have no complaints. For me I like the height of them, it's easy to put and take items out of them. The size of the bags are about right, there is more than enough room in them to carry items for a comfortable all day ride.
They are well made, look great on the bike, are water proof and theft proof (to some extent, because there are no straps to be cut and you can't cut into them like soft luggage bags.). These bags also complement the retro look of the CB1100. A motorcycle with bags attached, can do so much more. I hope you have no regrets either jrns, cheers.:cool:
curlyjoe_imp said:
They look great! Can you still use the helmet lock with a full face helmet?
Thanks curlyjoe,
I have a half face - helmet and it works fine. I'm sure a full face would work too, and you can always buy a helmet lock extension cable to give yourself a little more extra room. :thumbsup:
 
Any ideas why these would not work with the OEM carier? They don't look like there would be any interference.
 
Greetings jrns,
After owning and using them for awhile now, I'd have to say "no regrets". How they sit on the bike, I have no complaints. For me I like the height of them, it's easy to put and take items out of them. The size of the bags are about right, there is more than enough room in them to carry items for a comfortable all day ride.
They are well made, look great on the bike, are water proof and theft proof (to some extent, because there are no straps to be cut and you can't cut into them like soft luggage bags.). These bags also complement the retro look of the CB1100. A motorcycle with bags attached, can do so much more. I hope you have no regrets either jrns, cheers.:cool:

Thanks for the response Tomas- im a bit picky I guess , in all I do like them-the storage space is amazing. It rivals what my cruiser buddies have in their modern touring bikes. And as you said-they look just right for the CB in a retro way. I do plan to paint them however-flat black to match my side covers, engine and RC2. In fact that might be my weekend project as spring is getting close :)
All I would change (I think) is the spacers provided for the tail lights- they are a tad too wide I think? I may reduce them... did I say i was picky...LOL
Thanks and take care!
 
Thread starter
jrns_imp said:
Greetings jrns,
After owning and using them for awhile now, I'd have to say "no regrets". How they sit on the bike, I have no complaints. For me I like the height of them, it's easy to put and take items out of them. The size of the bags are about right, there is more than enough room in them to carry items for a comfortable all day ride.
They are well made, look great on the bike, are water proof and theft proof (to some extent, because there are no straps to be cut and you can't cut into them like soft luggage bags.). These bags also complement the retro look of the CB1100. A motorcycle with bags attached, can do so much more. I hope you have no regrets either jrns, cheers.:cool:

Thanks for the response Tomas- im a bit picky I guess , in all I do like them-the storage space is amazing. It rivals what my cruiser buddies have in their modern touring bikes. And as you said-they look just right for the CB in a retro way. I do plan to paint them however-flat black to match my side covers, engine and RC2. In fact that might be my weekend project as spring is getting close :)
All I would change (I think) is the spacers provided for the tail lights- they are a tad too wide I think? I may reduce them... did I say i was picky...LOL
Thanks and take care!
That's not a bad idea to move the bags closer to the bike frame by cutting down the spacers. In fact you would probably only have to cut the longer ones down, and put the shorter ones in the position off the longer ones. The only other thing is you will probably have to replace or modify the turn signals, cause they might hit the bags. That won't be a problem for me though because I have already replaced them with ones from Samurider " POSH:Superbike type turn signal kit for CB1100". Thanks for the idea jrns, I'm going to look into this modification.:thumbsup:
 
tomas_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Wow. I really like the look of that. Nicely done tomas. Have you carried a passenger yet and, if so, how did it work out?
Thanks menallyguitarded for comments!
Haven't ridden a passenger on it yet, but I had my wife sit on the bike and it doesn't seem like it's going to be a problem at all.
Thanks menallyguitarded for comments!
Haven't ridden a passenger on it yet, but I had my wife sit on the bike and it doesn't seem like it's going to be a problem at all.
Just don't invite "a passenger" and your wife to ride at the same time. :celebrate:
 
Looks great ! You should send the pictures to Takashi. Yours looks better than the one on his site. I like them with the shield, serious commuter bike.
 
Thread starter
Thanks much guys for the praise, and to "lash" the OEM carrier would not allow the spacers that hold the bracket carrier for the bags to set flush next to the bike frame.
 
tomas_imp said:
Here's the bags I received the other day, they came packed very well, the instruction sheet had good pictures but it was all in Japanese. The bags look and feel well made, the hinge on the lid is beefy as is the locking system. It comes with two keys. I'm glad I bought these, I think they work well with the bike, installation was fairly easy and I'm looking forward to many years of use from these bags.




This is the hardware that came in the kit. Rear blinker bracket, 2 extended wire harnesses, 4 bolts and 4 metal extenders plus 2 bolts. Notice that the extenders are two different sizes. The shorter ones go on the front and the long ones on the rear.

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08557_zpsq8avluu5.jpg.html]

Some views of the bags by themselves.

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08566_zpswj3pvjzu.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08568_zpsmdxt9icj.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08570_zpstvecz8x8.jpg.html]

This is the way I installed the blinker wires. They had them running up alongside the fender and I didn't like the way it looked. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the tail light and another one to run out the side of the tail light top bracket, to run under the seat. I added the rubber grommet for a more finished look and protection.

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08572_zpsr5vawck2.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08575_zpsgcc5cevz.jpg.html]

Various views of the finished product.

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08576_zps1skjfm3l.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08578%20-%20Copy_zpsfi46crk4.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08582_zpseqvous6u.jpg.html]

In these pictures, you will also see other Samurider accessories, such as the black rearview mirrors, engine guards in addition to a Staintune slip on exhaust system.

I think the Honda rack would fit if you are willing to modify the spacers.
 
I have joined the "police biker" pannier club! I've been informed by Takashi that it will take about a week to get the cases in, then about another week to my doorstep. Thank you tomas for this thread as it helped a lot in my decision. I recently bought the SW-Motech Legends Gear bag and although I like the look of it, it's not compatible with having a passenger on board. I'll likely list the Motech bag in the classified section or hop over to the Triumph forum to see if anyone over there is interested. The bag seems more suited to the Bonnie or Scrambler.
 
I like those. They remind me of a no name set similar to them that I had on my '75 XS650 Yamaha. Good times.
 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I have joined the "police biker" pannier club! I've been informed by Takashi that it will take about a week to get the cases in, then about another week to my doorstep. Thank you tomas for this thread as it helped a lot in my decision. I recently bought the SW-Motech Legends Gear bag and although I like the look of it, it's not compatible with having a passenger on board. I'll likely list the Motech bag in the classified section or hop over to the Triumph forum to see if anyone over there is interested. The bag seems more suited to the Bonnie or Scrambler.
Your welcome, still enjoying mine with no issues. They surely are well made and look great on the bike. :thumbsup:
 
My panniers came in today. Of course, I wasn't home to receive them so I have to stop by the post office tomorrow and pick them up. One week from Japan to San Diego. Impressive. I'm excited to get them mounted and will come back to share my photos.
 
I'm looking forward to the pictures and your impressions, MG. Those panniers look good to me.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
My panniers came in today. Of course, I wasn't home to receive them so I have to stop by the post office tomorrow and pick them up. One week from Japan to San Diego. Impressive. I'm excited to get them mounted and will come back to share my photos.
Once you have them installed can you let me know if the turn signal modifications are difficult? It looks to me like you just have to install the extenders and mount them on the license plate bracket with that black mount. Do you have to cut any wires or solder anything?

Also wondering if these would work with the Yoshi RS-3 slip on. It's hard to tell but I feel like it might be too high to fit these. Anyone know?
 
olekzap_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
My panniers came in today. Of course, I wasn't home to receive them so I have to stop by the post office tomorrow and pick them up. One week from Japan to San Diego. Impressive. I'm excited to get them mounted and will come back to share my photos.
Once you have them installed can you let me know if the turn signal modifications are difficult? It looks to me like you just have to install the extenders and mount them on the license plate bracket with that black mount. Do you have to cut any wires or solder anything?

Also wondering if these would work with the Yoshi RS-3 slip on. It's hard to tell but I feel like it might be too high to fit these. Anyone know?
I'll let you know about the turn signals. And I have the RS-3 slip on, so I'll let you know about that as well. Looking at the photos that tomas posted, I can't imagine it's going to be a problem. Looks to be plenty of clearance.
 
Back
Top