Samurider Paniers-review + pictures

tomas_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Here's the bags I received the other day, they came packed very well, the instruction sheet had good pictures but it was all in Japanese. The bags look and feel well made, the hinge on the lid is beefy as is the locking system. It comes with two keys. I'm glad I bought these, I think they work well with the bike, installation was fairly easy and I'm looking forward to many years of use from these bags.




This is the hardware that came in the kit. Rear blinker bracket, 2 extended wire harnesses, 4 bolts and 4 metal extenders plus 2 bolts. Notice that the extenders are two different sizes. The shorter ones go on the front and the long ones on the rear.

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08557_zpsq8avluu5.jpg.html]

Some views of the bags by themselves.

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08566_zpswj3pvjzu.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08568_zpsmdxt9icj.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08570_zpstvecz8x8.jpg.html]

This is the way I installed the blinker wires. They had them running up alongside the fender and I didn't like the way it looked. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the tail light and another one to run out the side of the tail light top bracket, to run under the seat. I added the rubber grommet for a more finished look and protection.

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08572_zpsr5vawck2.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08575_zpsgcc5cevz.jpg.html]

Various views of the finished product.

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08576_zps1skjfm3l.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08578%20-%20Copy_zpsfi46crk4.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Deborah_Pietrangelo/media/Tom/DSC08582_zpseqvous6u.jpg.html]

In these pictures, you will also see other Samurider accessories, such as the black rearview mirrors, engine guards in addition to a Staintune slip on exhaust system.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Do the bags detach somehow and what does it leave on the bike when detached?
You can detach them by undoing the two bolts that has them attached to the bike. It's not quick release by any means, but it doesn't take very long. I think these bags were meant to remain on the bike, for storage at all times.
 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Wow. I really like the look of that. Nicely done tomas. Have you carried a passenger yet and, if so, how did it work out?
Thanks menallyguitarded for comments!
Haven't ridden a passenger on it yet, but I had my wife sit on the bike and it doesn't seem like it's going to be a problem at all.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Very elite set of hard bags, well done:thumbsup:

Those look fantastic. I've always like the look of the Krauser bags on bmw R bikes from the 70's or the aftermarket bags found on early Honda CB's or gold wings. These are a great modern rendition of that classic style in my opinion. The best part is the stout looking chrome to protect the cases in a tip over and the top loading design. They don't look too wide either. Thanks again for posting these pics. I think you may be the first to own these on this forum. I think I'll be the second!

Kevin
 
That looks better than the photo's on Samurider's site. But they do look small. It will be interesting to see if you would prefer a larger bag if one was ever offered.
 
Thread starter
Lambotte_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
Very elite set of hard bags, well done:thumbsup:

Those look fantastic. I've always like the look of the Krauser bags on bmw R bikes from the 70's or the aftermarket bags found on early Honda CB's or gold wings. These are a great modern rendition of that classic style in my opinion. The best part is the stout looking chrome to protect the cases in a tip over and the top loading design. They don't look too wide either. Thanks again for posting these pics. I think you may be the first to own these on this forum. I think I'll be the second!

Kevin

Those look fantastic. I've always like the look of the Krauser bags on bmw R bikes from the 70's or the aftermarket bags found on early Honda CB's or gold wings. These are a great modern rendition of that classic style in my opinion. The best part is the stout looking chrome to protect the cases in a tip over and the top loading design. They don't look too wide either. Thanks again for posting these pics. I think you may be the first to own these on this forum. I think I'll be the second!

Kevin
Thanks Kevin,
They really are well made bags and are a great rendition of classic style. Having these bags on the bike, sure took care of alot of my carrying and storage problems. :biker:
 
I'd have to guess form what it looks like that those are not compatible with the Honda carrier?
 
Randy, On the samurider site, it says not compatible with the carrier.
 
On a totally different note, I noticed your windshield, and I love it. On a different thread, where someone had the same or very similar windshield cut down, I wrote: "

I had a Slipstreamer S-03 windshield on two different bikes in the past, and still have one on my '80 Yamaha Maxim. It's tall, and I have to look through it. It never bothered me before, but now I keep hearing that with any windshield you should be able to look just over it. I'm thinking about getting another one for the CB. What I don't get is that it's so tall that I doubt it would go on any bike, ever low enough, (can't go lower than the headlight opening) so no rider (unless they are 6'6") wouldn't have to have to look through it. If having to look through a windshield is such an issue, then why do they still make it that way? I totally get your decision to cut yours, but I've always liked the retro look (that would fit the CB perfectly) of that shield, and would like to keep mine tall, but now I'm worried people might call me stupid for not knowing the basic rules of windshield fitting. Am I crazy?"

So how do you like yours on the CB? Is it the Slipstreamer or is that a National Cycle shield? Do you have to look through it? If so, does it bother you or not? Thanks!
 
Thread starter
Ghis_imp said:
On a totally different note, I noticed your windshield, and I love it. On a different thread, where someone had the same or very similar windshield cut down, I wrote: "

I had a Slipstreamer S-03 windshield on two different bikes in the past, and still have one on my '80 Yamaha Maxim. It's tall, and I have to look through it. It never bothered me before, but now I keep hearing that with any windshield you should be able to look just over it. I'm thinking about getting another one for the CB. What I don't get is that it's so tall that I doubt it would go on any bike, ever low enough, (can't go lower than the headlight opening) so no rider (unless they are 6'6") wouldn't have to have to look through it. If having to look through a windshield is such an issue, then why do they still make it that way? I totally get your decision to cut yours, but I've always liked the retro look (that would fit the CB perfectly) of that shield, and would like to keep mine tall, but now I'm worried people might call me stupid for not knowing the basic rules of windshield fitting. Am I crazy?"

So how do you like yours on the CB? Is it the Slipstreamer or is that a National Cycle shield? Do you have to look through it? If so, does it bother you or not? Thanks!
Hi Ghis,
Yes it is a National Cycle shield, a Plexistar 2. It's a universal shield, but it fits the CB1100 like it was made for it. I'm 6' even, I have it adjusted to just barely look over it. I love the shield and I never take it off. It provides a lot of protection from wind, cold & bugs.
 
tomas_imp said:
Ghis_imp said:
On a totally different note, I noticed your windshield, and I love it. On a different thread, where someone had the same or very similar windshield cut down, I wrote: "

I had a Slipstreamer S-03 windshield on two different bikes in the past, and still have one on my '80 Yamaha Maxim. It's tall, and I have to look through it. It never bothered me before, but now I keep hearing that with any windshield you should be able to look just over it. I'm thinking about getting another one for the CB. What I don't get is that it's so tall that I doubt it would go on any bike, ever low enough, (can't go lower than the headlight opening) so no rider (unless they are 6'6") wouldn't have to have to look through it. If having to look through a windshield is such an issue, then why do they still make it that way? I totally get your decision to cut yours, but I've always liked the retro look (that would fit the CB perfectly) of that shield, and would like to keep mine tall, but now I'm worried people might call me stupid for not knowing the basic rules of windshield fitting. Am I crazy?"

So how do you like yours on the CB? Is it the Slipstreamer or is that a National Cycle shield? Do you have to look through it? If so, does it bother you or not? Thanks!
Hi Ghis,
Yes it is a National Cycle shield, a Plexistar 2. It's a universal shield, but it fits the CB1100 like it was made for it. I'm 6' even, I have it adjusted to just barely look over it. I love the shield and I never take it off. It provides a lot of protection from wind, cold & bugs.
I have the exact same windshield - and it works fine, except for wind roar.

I'd love to know how you've dealt with it. Good helmet? Foam earplugs?
 
tomas_imp said:
Ghis_imp said:
On a totally different note, I noticed your windshield, and I love it. On a different thread, where someone had the same or very similar windshield cut down, I wrote: "

I had a Slipstreamer S-03 windshield on two different bikes in the past, and still have one on my '80 Yamaha Maxim. It's tall, and I have to look through it. It never bothered me before, but now I keep hearing that with any windshield you should be able to look just over it. I'm thinking about getting another one for the CB. What I don't get is that it's so tall that I doubt it would go on any bike, ever low enough, (can't go lower than the headlight opening) so no rider (unless they are 6'6") wouldn't have to have to look through it. If having to look through a windshield is such an issue, then why do they still make it that way? I totally get your decision to cut yours, but I've always liked the retro look (that would fit the CB perfectly) of that shield, and would like to keep mine tall, but now I'm worried people might call me stupid for not knowing the basic rules of windshield fitting. Am I crazy?"

So how do you like yours on the CB? Is it the Slipstreamer or is that a National Cycle shield? Do you have to look through it? If so, does it bother you or not? Thanks!
Hi Ghis,
Yes it is a National Cycle shield, a Plexistar 2. It's a universal shield, but it fits the CB1100 like it was made for it. I'm 6' even, I have it adjusted to just barely look over it. I love the shield and I never take it off. It provides a lot of protection from wind, cold & bugs.
Hi Ghis,
Yes it is a National Cycle shield, a Plexistar 2. It's a universal shield, but it fits the CB1100 like it was made for it. I'm 6' even, I have it adjusted to just barely look over it. I love the shield and I never take it off. It provides a lot of protection from wind, cold & bugs.
Great. I too am 6' tall. Thanks! This helps a lot.
 
Thread starter
JustPassinThru_imp said:
tomas_imp said:
Ghis_imp said:
On a totally different note, I noticed your windshield, and I love it. On a different thread, where someone had the same or very similar windshield cut down, I wrote: "

I had a Slipstreamer S-03 windshield on two different bikes in the past, and still have one on my '80 Yamaha Maxim. It's tall, and I have to look through it. It never bothered me before, but now I keep hearing that with any windshield you should be able to look just over it. I'm thinking about getting another one for the CB. What I don't get is that it's so tall that I doubt it would go on any bike, ever low enough, (can't go lower than the headlight opening) so no rider (unless they are 6'6") wouldn't have to have to look through it. If having to look through a windshield is such an issue, then why do they still make it that way? I totally get your decision to cut yours, but I've always liked the retro look (that would fit the CB perfectly) of that shield, and would like to keep mine tall, but now I'm worried people might call me stupid for not knowing the basic rules of windshield fitting. Am I crazy?"

So how do you like yours on the CB? Is it the Slipstreamer or is that a National Cycle shield? Do you have to look through it? If so, does it bother you or not? Thanks!
Hi Ghis,
Yes it is a National Cycle shield, a Plexistar 2. It's a universal shield, but it fits the CB1100 like it was made for it. I'm 6' even, I have it adjusted to just barely look over it. I love the shield and I never take it off. It provides a lot of protection from wind, cold & bugs.
I have the exact same windshield - and it works fine, except for wind roar.

I'd love to know how you've dealt with it. Good helmet? Foam earplugs?
I have the exact same windshield - and it works fine, except for wind roar.

I'd love to know how you've dealt with it. Good helmet? Foam earplugs?
I don't get a lot of wind roar with this shield and I ride with a open face helmet & no earplugs. There is a lot of variables with using windshields and finding that sweet spot position on a bike. To name a few, shield height, angle, and forward & afat position. Then even if it is the perfect position on the bike for my 6' frame, your position on the bike could be completely terrible with the same setup. You could be sitting taller or lower, forward or more backwards in the saddle. So what works for me, may not work for you. I did have to adjust it a few times to get it to work for me.
 
I usually raise my bike on her centerstand utilizing the metal mounting point below the seat on the right side. With these paniers in place how does one raise their bike on the centerstand?
 
Back
Top