Saddles

H.Ibsen_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey folks,

I'm looking into replacing my saddle. I've not got much built-in padding on my butt, long rides can get a bit wearing, and my girlfriend would appreciate a backrest.

I've seen the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady Gunfighter. Thoughts? Reviews? Other suggestions?

Thanks!
 
My experience with Corbin seats are that they are well made and wear well but, they are a little stiff/firm. More like a saddle. If you can sit on one before purchase I would suggest that. I am near their factory and was able to check mine out before purchasing, for my Valkyrie. I liked it after getting use to it. Many of my riding buddies, when swapping bikes, did not care for it.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Retsel_imp said:
My experience with Corbin seats are that they are well made and wear well but, they are a little stiff/firm. More like a saddle. If you can sit on one before purchase I would suggest that. I am near their factory and was able to check mine out before purchasing, for my Valkyrie. I liked it after getting use to it. Many of my riding buddies, when swapping bikes, did not care for it.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Thanks so much for the info, Retsel! I'll try to find one to try out.
 
I've been fine with the stock seat but did have the Corbin Gunfighter on a Vulcan 900 I used to own. I loved the seat. It is definitely firmer than stock but, counter-intuitively, the firmer the seat, the more comfort on long rides. There's something about the Corbin available for the CB that I just don't like but another forum member, Chip Beck, had one made with different specs that actually looks much better. If you search Chip's posts, you'll come across photos of his seat (among other nice mods he's done) and you can decide for yourself. If you, too, prefer the look, it's my understanding you can ask Corbin for the Chip Beck spec Corbin seat.

Good luck!
 
You are either a corbin seat guy or not. I'm not.

I've also heard many complaints about their customer service and quality if you do the mail order thing but if make an appointment and ride it - that is the way to buy a Corbin.

In any event, a good local guy is usually the best bet - and it looks like Corbin could be "local" to you. :D
 
I had no issues with mail ordering my Corbin. I bought it used for less than half price of new from a member here. The down side is the color doesn't match the bike very well, but it's too dirty to tell in pictures.
 
On my third Corbin, works well for me. Riding buddy hates them passionately.
Lots of money to gamble.
Research before buying. Many options available.
Alaskan sheep skin pad made a big difference for me. Air hawk not a bank breaking experiment.
 
I measured the useable sitting space on my stock seat after I had talked at length with a vendor of Corbin seats and ordered one. But, back to the stock seat. My unscientific measurement was 10" wide and 8" usable length. My butt is larger than that and that small a seat space is why my butt gets so sore when riding, even with an inch of foam, an AirHawk pad and sheepskin cover. The vendor with whom I conversed said that in all his years in the motorcycle parts business, the chief complaint about Japanese cycles was the uncomfortable seats. DUH! Why don't the Japanese make a seat to fit us fat butt Americans, as opposed to the 125-130 lb. Japanese rider? Guess that's what keeps Corbin, Day Long, Daytona and others in business. Must be some kind of conspiracy going on.
 
Was just looking at Greatdaytoride.com website who lowered my ST seat, and in the gallery at the bottom of the page is a CB dlx nearly identical to mine... Chrome instrument cups, gaiters, rlets, reflectors removed front and rear, lic plate bracket removed, foot peg feelers removed. IT says Randy's CB.

Wonder who Randy is?
 
Interesting engine guards too.

CB1100's with RLETs always make me suspect either a forum member or a lurker.
 
I've had my Corbin Gunfighter for 2 months now. Just put @100 miles on it today. Really enjoy the seat. More surface area, the round seat also give you more area to move around on. I was concerned with the stories I head here on how firm they seats were, so I called Corbin while my seat was on order and asked them what could be done. They said they could use a different foam to make it a little softer, which I requested. I haven't been on one of their seats before but this seat is working really well for me. Plus it's a freaking work of art!
crutch in northwest arkansas
 
4 Paws_imp said:
On my third Corbin, works well for me. Riding buddy hates them passionately.
Lots of money to gamble.
Research before buying. Many options available.
Alaskan sheep skin pad made a big difference for me. Air hawk not a bank breaking experiment.
Talk about a GOOD Guy! Dan AKA 4 Paws is loaning me his Cobin to see if I like it before I go and buy one. He also has an OEM seat that if the Corbin doesn't do it for me will be getting sent to Nemo to have a copy made of the one he has. This forum rocks!
 
I recently bought a K&H hi from another member here. Only spent a couple hours on it so far, but should get used to it and like it. Firmer than stock with more leg room (sits taller). It's weird though, I feel like I move forward more on this seat than the stock one. I'm still getting used to the slightly higher center of gravity and stuff.
 
Sam Mac_imp said:
4 Paws_imp said:
On my third Corbin, works well for me. Riding buddy hates them passionately.
Lots of money to gamble.
Research before buying. Many options available.
Alaskan sheep skin pad made a big difference for me. Air hawk not a bank breaking experiment.
Talk about a GOOD Guy! Dan AKA 4 Paws is loaning me his Cobin to see if I like it before I go and buy one. He also has an OEM seat that if the Corbin doesn't do it for me will be getting sent to Nemo to have a copy made of the one he has. This forum rocks!
Talk about a GOOD Guy! Dan AKA 4 Paws is loaning me his Cobin to see if I like it before I go and buy one. He also has an OEM seat that if the Corbin doesn't do it for me will be getting sent to Nemo to have a copy made of the one he has. This forum rocks!

Dan is a great guy. Enjoyed meeting him immensley at the rally this year. So easy going it's almost unfathomable in this day and age. I wish I had his hair too. Lol
 
Got some seat time on Dan's Corbin today. Only thing I didn't like is that is seems slippery. Thinking maybe a suede panel would solve that. Other wise it is a big improvement over the factory seat. Again BIG THANKS to 4 Paws for loaning me his seat for a test ride.
 
Going to try option #3, I have a local upholsterer that does nice work. Talked to him about doing a seat for me and the price is shall we say CHEAP. I showed him Dan's Corbin and told him what I'm looking for and he said no problem. Good thing is he's 5mins from my house so I can get it custom fitted to my fat butt. I'll keep you guys posted.
 
Back
Top