Rust on tank from crash

calipo223_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello fellow CB riders. Last summer I had a little crash and my tank got dented and scraped. I have some surface rust now. Can you recommend a product that would help remove some surface rust on my tank. Thank You in advance. Calipo
 
If it’s outside, probably best to sand the rust off, hit it with primer, and some paint that will be a close match for your tank. Won’t look pretty but won’t look worse than rust.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
If it’s outside, probably best to sand the rust off, hit it with primer, and some paint that will be a close match for your tank. Won’t look pretty but won’t look worse than rust.
Thank You
 
Just repair it.

You have pics of the damage? If it's black you might be able to do it at home. If you have a candy red you may need a respray..
 
I used a product called evaporust on the inside of a gas tank that was severely rusted, and it really did work. I read that filling a gas tank with vinegar and letting it soak would work, but absolutely not for me. Like somebody else said, it it's on the outside, just sand it off.
 
Dave_imp said:
I used a product called evaporust on the inside of a gas tank that was severely rusted, and it really did work. I read that filling a gas tank with vinegar and letting it soak would work, but absolutely not for me. Like somebody else said, it it's on the outside, just sand it off.
Any acid (like vinegar) will help removing rust from steel.

Sanding it with sandpaper soaked in diluted acid (or vinegar) will help to get a cleaner surface, as it will remove small spots of rust that might be invisible to the eye, thus slightly protecting the steel until painted (which should be right away).
 
Back
Top