Rust on mudguards

Classico_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I’ve some light rust patches on mudguards’ interior.
They are superficial but i want to get rid of them asap. I think I’ll clear them with sandapaper or some abrassive brush drill, then paint them with some protection product. Someone been there before? Any advice on how to proceed?
 
I spent some time with some metal polish and a rag, cleaning out all of the spots that I could get to. It cleaned up nicely, or at least enough to be barely noticeable unless you got under the fender and looked.

Granted, the spots were extremely minor, not something I'd take more effort to correct. Yours might be a bit more rusted.
 
Wonder if my 65,000 mile ridden year round CB has any rust under the fenders. I'm dont think I'm going to look lol.
 
Any advice on how to proceed?

The rust on my front fender was pretty imbedded, and I had to use emery paper to remove it. I wiped the fender clean with WD-40 before reinstalling the front wheel. I'll see how this worked the next time I change my front tire. Funny thing is this: I've posted threads on this forum about rust in the past, and I am convinced the quality of metal on my CB1100 is just not that high of quality. I own (since new) a 1977 Yamaha RD400 and an 1976 Honda CB750F, and neither of these bikes have exhibited rust to the level my CB1100 has.
 
Dave_imp said:
Any advice on how to proceed?

The rust on my front fender was pretty imbedded, and I had to use emery paper to remove it. I wiped the fender clean with WD-40 before reinstalling the front wheel. I'll see how this worked the next time I change my front tire. Funny thing is this: I've posted threads on this forum about rust in the past, and I am convinced the quality of metal on my CB1100 is just not that high of quality. I own (since new) a 1977 Yamaha RD400 and an 1976 Honda CB750F, and neither of these bikes have exhibited rust to the level my CB1100 has.
Very well could be true Dave. My '76 RD400 fenders looked pretty good, but I think they were heavier too. Nevertheless, for me I find it hard to bother looking at or under fenders (unless it was the amplifier type :) ). I'd would consider just dabbing suspect areas with some grease and forget 'bout it.
 
Classico_imp said:
I’ve some light rust patches on mudguards’ interior.
They are superficial but i want to get rid of them asap. I think I’ll clear them with sandapaper or some abrassive brush drill, then paint them with some protection product. Someone been there before? Any advice on how to proceed?
Yeah I noticed the same when I had the fender off to install a Extnda Fenda. I lightly sanded, cleaned, and coated the rust with Rust Converter, then painted the whole area with oil based enamel.

On mine it wasn't really the fender so much as the sheet metal brace attached to the fender. I posted about it here:

 
Same issue with the mudguard bracket, although I'm going to fit my fork gaitors this weekend so I'll inspect underneath the guard.
I also have rust appearing on the oil cooler pipes. So I'll look at getting those done when I do a service later this year.
 
hondadownunder_imp said:
Same issue with the mudguard bracket, although I'm going to fit my fork gaitors this weekend so I'll inspect underneath the guard.
I also have rust appearing on the oil cooler pipes. So I'll look at getting those done when I do a service later this year.
A light rubbing with a piece of Aluminium foil will have them like new in 60 seconds.
 
Ollie_imp said:
Classico_imp said:
I’ve some light rust patches on mudguards’ interior.
They are superficial but i want to get rid of them asap. I think I’ll clear them with sandapaper or some abrassive brush drill, then paint them with some protection product. Someone been there before? Any advice on how to proceed?
Yeah I noticed the same when I had the fender off to install a Extnda Fenda. I lightly sanded, cleaned, and coated the rust with Rust Converter, then painted the whole area with oil based enamel.

On mine it wasn't really the fender so much as the sheet metal brace attached to the fender. I posted about it here:

Yeah I noticed the same when I had the fender off to install a Extnda Fenda. I lightly sanded, cleaned, and coated the rust with Rust Converter, then painted the whole area with oil based enamel.

On mine it wasn't really the fender so much as the sheet metal brace attached to the fender. I posted about it here:

My fender looked similar to this, but worse. And this is on a bike that has seen light drizzle on it only twice in it's lifetime. Also, it is in San Diego, away from the coast, and stored in a garage.
 
Thread starter
Rust is gone now!
Took mudguards off, cleaned rust and applied protective paint (well, my mech did!). Ready for next 10 years!
 
Classico_imp said:
Rust is gone now!
Took mudguards off, cleaned rust and applied protective paint (well, my mech did!). Ready for next 10 years!
Excellent Classico.

Any "after" image?

Is the protective paint a "hard" or "soft" type to handle the stones that circulate in the fender?
 
Thread starter
I’m ou ton holiday but will take some images of underneath mudguards. Unfortunately no pics were taken during painting. Protective paint is hard to the tact
 
Back
Top